• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Vote for May 2013 BOTM: Book & Film

May 2013 BOTM

• Brian Selznik, The Invention of Hugo (Film: Hugo; dir. Martin Scorsese)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neil Gaiman, Coraline (Film: Coraline; dir. Henry Selick)

• Kathryn Stockett, The Help (Film: The Help; dir. Tate Taylor)

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Margaret Mitchell, Gone With the Wind (Film: Gone With the Wind; dir. Victor Fleming)

• Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany's (Film: Breakfast at Tiffany's; dir. Blake Edwards)

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Jonathan Nolan, Memento Mori (Film: Memento; dir. Christopher Nolan)

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is not helping. :D

Polly, a gift from Heaven! :)
I've been thinking about it and wish to withdraw my vote for Memento. I now think the film is much too complicated for discussion here. So, if I may, I unvote for Memento, but I don't care to vote for anything else either. Please count me out for this month.
Sorry
Peder

Polly, a gift from Heaven! :)
I've been thinking about it and wish to withdraw my vote for Memento. I now think the film is much too complicated for discussion here. So, if I may, I unvote for Memento, but I don't care to vote for anything else either. Please count me out for this month.
Sorry
Peder
I think Peder has an excellent point.
Please remove my vote as well.
Thanks.

Aww. There is no need for the both of you to bow out of next month's discussion or to withdraw your vote. :-(

Aww. There is no need for the both of you to bow out of next month's discussion or to withdraw your vote. :-(

Thanks Polly, but it wasn't only to break the tie. Memento is one of my favorite movies that I can watch over and over again, (and I have to, in order to unravel it :( ) Which is why I voted for it. But now that I think more carefully about the complicated and time consuming discussion it might well lead to -- and should -- I also realize (yet again) that I am trying to shift time into my real life away from online, and that a Memento discussion is probably a very good thing for me to avoid. It is up to you whether, or how, you allow this to affect the vote, but whichever way, people who wish to can certainly watch the movie and/or read the short story on their own and post and discuss in an appropriate thread. So, I hope I am not curtailing anyone else's pleasure. The movie is a real trip.

Here is my dilemma - I wanted to do The Invention of Hugo but can't find a copy, although I have the movie, so I voted for Memento Mori which sounds interesting, but I can't find a copy of that either which I thought broke the impasse, but apparently it didn't.

Do we need to try again with a new list? Perhaps one that more (hopefully please) will be interested in discussing :) *hopeful smile*

I think I will go ahead with The Help for May's discussion. I don't see the point in asking for new suggestions at this point. I will, however, create a thread to get suggesting & voting for June done nice and early so the schedule will be back to normal, leaving plenty of time for everyone to get the book and read it.

Well, seeing as it is the one with the most votes besides Memento and two of the four people who voted for Memento have respectfully withdrawn themselves from the discussion, it would only make sense to opt for The Help, instead. Unless, of course, we will get five votes for any of the other options before the poll closes the day after tomorrow.

Nothing wrong with discussing The Help and with two weeks to go I might motivate myself to read the book. I have only seen the movie once so can't remember all the details.

Back