• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Voting: November 2005 Book of the Month

Vote for the November 2005 Book of the Month

• The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie McDonald

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie McDonald

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Mercy Among the Children by David Adams Richards

• In the Night Room by Peter Straub

• Lost Boy, Lost Girl by Peter Straub

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mehastings

Poll will close October 27.

I've decided not to include The Sea this month. There is some question about its availability in North America at this time. Amazon has its release date as November 1. So, I'm going to put it forward for December. I hope that is OK with everyone!

I'm also rushing to get this poll out (as voting is only a week) so I'm not including the book descriptions. I will next month!

I voted for Fall On Your Knees because I've already read it and really enjoyed it, and it would nice to join into the discussion as it's happening rather than just bumping it later.

There weren't any ties that I can recall. I have a feeling this won't end in a tie either. There are still five days left to vote and there are always people who wait til the last couple of days.

I've sent some suggestions to mehastings via pm on how a tie might be handled.

ell

Lo li ta!

Where else will you learn things like this? The name Vivian Darkbloom is an anagram for Vladimir Nabokov.

Despite its lascivious reputation, the pleasures of Lolita are as much intellectual as erogenous. It is a love story with the power to raise both chuckles and eyebrows. Humbert Humbert is a European intellectual adrift in America, haunted by memories of a lost adolescent love. When he meets his ideal nymphet in the shape of 12-year-old Dolores Haze, he constructs an elaborate plot to seduce her, but first he must get rid of her mother. In spite of his diabolical wit, reality proves to be more slippery than Humbert's feverish fantasies, and Lolita refuses to conform to his image of the perfect lover.

Read more here:

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/nabokov/lo_excerpt.html

and here:

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/nabokov/amis.html

;)

Prairie_Girl said:
I like that a full 1/3 of the authors nominated this month are queer. I'm happy with either Wilde OR Macdonald
Oh, I was unaware that Macdonald was gay. Thanks for the information, Prairie, I'll add that to my enormous cache of useless facts :)

yep, her and her partner had a baby recently. She also played Frances, the prudish bookstore owner, in the lesbian cult classic Better Than Choclate.

I managed to pick up a copy of TPODG today for pennies in a second hand shop so that's who I'm voting for this time. Also, the nice thing about it is that, even new, it's very affordable for those on a tight budget.

I also fancy reading Lolita, possibly next month, and I just loved Cloud Atlas. :)

Wow, something I nominated actually won.

I feel.... kinda special. I just finished this book so I am ready for the discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back