• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Washington Irving: George Washington: A Biography

readingbig

There's a Kindle version on Amazon and it's supposed to be written by Washington Irving. (I'd post a link, but I guess that I haven't met the minimum requirements, whatever those are) I had no idea that he wrote it. Can anyone verify that he did for me?

Also, is it any good? It seems a little pricey for a blind buy.

I've read The First of Men by Ferling. I didn't think it was very good, and I'm looking for another to read.

I'm thinking that I can't quite resist something by Irving, if it was actually him, of course...

LOL not that it helps me much because I haven't read it, but it will be helpful to others who may have :)

There's a Kindle version on Amazon and it's supposed to be written by Washington Irving. (I'd post a link, but I guess that I haven't met the minimum requirements, whatever those are) I had no idea that he wrote it. Can anyone verify that he did for me?

Also, is it any good? It seems a little pricey for a blind buy.

I've read The First of Men by Ferling. I didn't think it was very good, and I'm looking for another to read.

I'm thinking that I can't quite resist something by Irving, if it was actually him, of course...
I haven't read that one. But i have studied alot about George Washington. Theres alot that people don't know about Americas great First President. I recommend reading a book put out by William P. Grady. Its called how satan turned America Against God. He quotes alot of History and he has all his sources of where he got it. There are some remarkable things that he reveals.

I haven't read that one. But i have studied alot about George Washington. Theres alot that people don't know about Americas great First President. I recommend reading a book put out by William P. Grady. Its called how satan turned America Against God. He quotes alot of History and he has all his sources of where he got it. There are some remarkable things that he reveals.

Sounds like a stupid book.

Haven't read Irving's book and I wouldn't unless I wanted to know how a semi-contemporary perceived the first president.

Instead, I'm reading Ron Chernow's Washington: A Life. It's a one-volume book that is far superior to the Joseph Ellis Washington biography that came out a few years ago. Chernow pulls no punches in his opinions about Washington. He doesn't shy away from criticizing Washington's battle capabilities (a pretty lousy strategist and tactician), his ruthless social climbing (which was aided mainly by the early deaths of his relatives and inlaws, which allowed him to inherit the properties that made him wealthy), his disdain for those outside the aristocracy (which was only partially overcome when he met humble-born generals like Nathan Greene), and his contradictory views about slavery. Chernow also gives his high praise to Washington's ability to instantly earn the respect and love of his soldiers, his incredible self-control in even the worst crises, his devotion to family, and his refusal to exploit the power granted to him to become a monarch or dictator.

Back