• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Western Steampunk?

Bob Magness

I want to give reading some steampunk a try but most of it seems to be set in Victorian era Europe, which I am not interested in. I am looking for something set in the American West. I have been googling “western steampunk” and am not having that much luck. Most of what I come up with has a fantasy element to it. I enjoy fantasy novels but I am looking for a strictly sci-fi western steampunk novel for now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all. Beer Good, you are right, it does seem to be an underexploited market. That surprises me a bit as it seems like a fertile ground.

One of the short stories in Steampunk by Ann VanderMeer and Jeff VanderMeer (The Steam Man of the Prairie and the Dark Rider Get Down: A Dime Novel by Joe R. Lansdale) is Western themed. In fact, in the introduction it calls out several "Western Steampunk" novels/short stories that were written at the end of the 19th Century.

If anything Steampunk is a great introduction to the genre, and even includes a great Neal Stephenson short that I desperately want to see expanded.

Boneshaker is sitting on my bookcase, looking at me with disapproval for not having read it yet.

Just started this, and so far it looks promising. A certain Stephenson vibe to it.

Would that be a Reamde vibe or a Cryptonomicon vibe?

I'm wondering because I zoomed through Reamde, but am stuck halfway through Cryptonomicon.

More of an Anathem vibe, though in the end not a very strong one.

Ahh, well thanks. The two I mentioned are the only Stephenson books I've read so far, that is the reason for my mentioning only them. So Anathem doesn't clarify in my case.

Back