• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What albums have interested you thus far in 2010

nwee

yep... as for me:

Rain on the City - Freedy Johnston (a long awaited return by him, though not as great as his previous issues )
Scratch my back - Peter gabriel (a truly great CD)
soldier of love - sade ( you know sade, is well, sade )
plastic beach - gorillaz
New Amerykah Pt.2 - Erykah Badu
heligoland - massive attack
and, through the devil softly - hope sandoval ( okay, okay, it has come out in Sep. 2009, but I was not aware of a new Sandoval album till about a month back...)

What you gotta say, fellow travellers ? What were the albums that you liked most in the first quarter of 2010 ?

I haven't bought a whole bunch of albums so far this year, but two I've really liked:

Roky Erickson & Okkervil River - True Love Cast Out All Evil (impossible comeback that's just as good as it has no right to be)
MGMT - Congratulations (a little bit of Scottish indie, a little bit of early-70s John Cale (they even have a song called "Brian Eno"), a little bit of electro, a little bit of fun)

the new Natalie merchant album, leave your sleep , is just beautiful !!!

... and I never thought I'll say this, but I was quite taken up by the Fatboy Slim album "Here lies love"... yeah, the" Imelda Marcos" album.

+ OCS, Weller & STP

latest albums that I listened to.. & which I like.. I recommend all three...

Saturday - Ocean Colour Scene
Wake up the Nation - Paul Weller
Stone Temple Pilots - Stone Temple Pilots

I also found a copy of Rise up by Cypress hill.... It's good --> 5-5.5/10

I think out of the albums that I've listened to so far, Peter Gabriel's "scratch my back" & Brad Mehldau's "Highway Rider" are the best. Those who love cross-over Jazz, check out the Mehldau album - BRILLIANT !!!!

Sheryl Crow, David Gray & a word about the STP comeback

two albums that I am currently listening are, 1000 miles from Memphis (Sheryl Crow) & Foundling (David Gray). While I need to listen to the former a bit more to comment, the latter is a pretty relaxing set of songs. If you like David Gray outside of "Babylon", try this one out.

As for the STP album that I referred to above, it sounds like how STP sounded like this side of "core". The fact they've been away for almost 10 years make one appreciate the new CD.

Jimmy Gnecco's solo CD The Heart was amazing

STP self titled CD was great as well, although I would not agree that it is up to the level of Core, but definitley comparable to No. 4 (in my opinion).

Lastly, Mike Patton's Mondo Cane CD of Italian pop songs covered with an orchestra was outstanding.

I also really wanted to get Brandon Boyd's solo album, but I refuse to pay Sony $6.99 shipping and handling to mail a CD, that is just absurd.

Banocanut,

maybe I didn't make myself undestood. yes, STP sounds like what they've done since Core (i.e. this side of core). I think todate, core sounds different to their other albums. yet my favourite STP album todate is , PURPLE :)

Lastly, Mike Patton's Mondo Cane CD of Italian pop songs covered with an orchestra was outstanding.
Has he recorded it? I saw him this month and it's great but I was told he hadn't recorded it.

I also saw MIA on that occasion and I didn't like her at all.

Has he recorded it? I saw him this month and it's great but I was told he hadn't recorded it.

Yes, it has been recorded and was released in May. Did you see him with Faith No More? I went to both shows in NYC and now my life is complete.

I'm not up-to-date with modern music. Because of my advanced age (44) I feel that modern music has gone astray from its original roots - the blues. But that's just an old timers opinion so disregard my view. :sick:

__

I'm not up-to-date with modern music. Because of my advanced age (44) I feel that modern music has gone astray from its original roots - the blues. But that's just an old timers opinion so disregard my view. :sick:

__

Which "modern music" are you referring to?

Rock, Jazz, Blues, Country, Bluegrass, Gospel, Folk, International, Electronic, Classical?

As a [former] musician, you should really know better.

Back