• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What books have you read more than once?

I don't reread books as often now as I did when I was young. But now I'll reread Nabokov for example, just because you can't take it all in in one reading, or even two for that matter.

But when I was younger, I reread stuff like Forever Amber, mostly because it was so romantic to me as a teenager.
Later, I reread Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy, mostly because the characters were so wonderfully drawn and were like old friends to be visited again and again.
I can't count the number of times I reread Gone With the Wind between the ages of 12 and 20 though. Haven't read it in at least 30 years now though.

Its fun to go back and "visit".....Sherlock Holmes, The Outlander Series, even The Day of the Triffids. And I think that always it is the characters that are so appealing, you want to visit them again.

I'm going to give The Outlander series a try if it's that good. :)

I reread A. S. Byatt's Possession at least once, and now I'm rereading To the Lighthouse. I'm going to continue to reread The Corrections until I finally grow out of it, which I sincerely hope not to do.

I've read the Nero Wolfe canon three times (some books more often than that), the Three Investigators series about four times, and the Encyclopedia Brown series prob'ly more than that. Odd, I suppose, for a guy my age, but I think that it is a measure of the sense in which all three of these series a timeless quality. I mean, for instance, the way that nothing changes, in any real sense, in Wolfe's brownstone; it's always summer in Rocky Beach; and, Leroy Brown will always be the smartest kid in the 5th grade.

I completely forgot to mention the ones that I keep buying more copies of so that I can give them away:

1. Illusions, Richard Bach

2. Emmanuel, Pat Rodegast

3. The Seth Material, Jane Roberts

I consider the above to be essential road maps to life.

:D

Another book.....Malevil by Robert Merle is one that I have over the last 30ish years read, reread, and rereread. But I have to say this book is not "dated" like some of this type.

One of the first survivalist sort of post nuclear bomb scenario, it follows a group of people in a small area of France after a nuclear bomb has been dropped somewhere.....the reader never knows who or how or why it happened. But the survival of this small town and a castle (Malevil) is the crux of the story.
The characters are wonderfully engaging and real and the reader feels so strongly for all of them whether they are good or selfishly looking for only their only survival.

I used to re-read a lot more when I younger too. Many books that I try to re-read now usually are abandoned when I buy a new book that distracts me.

I don't know how many times I've read Lorenzo Carcaterra's Sleepers though. I'm guessing like five or six times. It started out as a reading just waiting for the movie to come out, but I really liked that book in all honesty.

The Courtship of Princess Leia is another title that I have enjoyed reading multiple times.

Others are Been There, Haven't Done That and the Kissed By An Angel trilogy.

I've read a couple of classics more than once. When I little, I loved Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Greyfriar's Bobby, and read them over and over until I outgrew them (about a year ago :p ). Reread Animal Farm, mainly because it's short, a few times, and Jane Eyre, because I once saw a production of it in a theatre. Have read Dubliners, by James Joyce more than once because I needed to understand it for an exam, and the same with Shelley's Frankenstein, but I would actually choose to reread those anyway. Have reread several of Nabokov's fine writings, namely Lolita, Pnin, Sebastian Knight, Glory and the Enchanter.

Currently rereading Owen Meany by John Irving, because I read it the first time when my mum was studying for her degree when I was an early teen, and remembered little. Since John Irving is remarkably capable of invoking just about any emotion, and excellent at creating characters, and just pretty damn amazing, I think he has become my new comfort rereading fodder. The mum's degree has just reminded me of other favourite rereads, which are The Color Purple by Alice Walker and Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank and anything by Jostein Gaarder.

Oh, and a few years ago went through a Bill Bryson phase, and then a Margaret Atwood one, and have read several of their works several times each, so often that I could quote "To be fair, English is full of booby traps for the unwary foreigner. Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled." in my sleep. :D

I've read the The Outlander series more than once as well - I really enjoy the characters and I like to re-visit them from time to time. If I'm headed for the beach and need some relaxing reading, that's what I pick up.

I have read Watership Down many times, just because I love it.

Every Steinbeck book I have has been read at least 5 times - especially Travels With Charley, Tortilla Flat, and Cannery Row.

I reread Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver at least twice a year. Also I read The Devil Wears Prada once in a while because it takes me like two hours and it's a cute book. I find lately I re-read less than I used to too though.

Mattyj said:
I have read Watership Down many times, just because I love it.

I have read Watership Down maybe 10 times or so. It's my favorite book and has been since I was in 4th grade. Everytime I read it I'm ever more in love. I had a couple of autographed copies.

I don't reread books much anymore as there are just so many new ones that I would like to get through, but one book that I remember reading over and over when I was younger is The Hobbit. I absolutely adored that book - I think that this was the book that got me interested in the fantasy genre (now one of my favourites).

I have read and re-read Jean M. Auel's "Earth's Children" series probably 15-20 times (each book). Still waiting on the sixth book to come out...also loved the O'Malley books by Bertrice Small and have re-read them many times, and "Pandora" is my favorite Anne Rice vampire book...

lunablu63 said:
"Pandora" is my favorite Anne Rice vampire book...

No offense, but...bleeccchhhh!!! Have you read any of the original trilogy?

I read "It" all the time, usualy just my favourite parts, i know it so well I skip the boring bits.

I'm always rereading. I think it's because I read before bed so I want something familiar that won't keep me up. It's usually King or Ben Elton.

Yes, but I really didn't care for them that much....

I have a facination for ancient Rome, the Roman era, and I think that's why I like Pandora so much....Blood and Gold I liked as well...

when i reread books, i reread dearly loved books because i simply need to calm down or because i'm overly emotional. i simply read my favorite scenes from books i enjoy(mostly fantasy and alexandre dumas).

I have read Travels by Michael Crichton numerous times. I share many of the same views he has and enjoy reading it mostly while traveling.

Last year around this time, I read The Brothers Karamazov. I might have to do it again for old times sake.

I think I'm rather young to start re-reading novels. At best, I like to re-read specific passages or sentences from time to time. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, easily the greatest books ever written, is the only exception; I read it regularly.

Back