• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What do you think of the Kindle?

The thing that puzzles me about all these e-readers is this:

Take your average paperback book for example. The page size is typically about 7x5 inches (sorry all you metric fans - I'm English and old enough to know the old stuff!). On that 7x5 you get a page of text that is readable, and what's more you can see the whole printed page in one sweep. One of the curious things about the way the human eye scans text is that it often 'reads ahead', without you necessarily knowing it. But if you read text on a small computer screen - and let's be honest, all these e-readers have small screens - you have to scroll up and down to see the whole page. It just doesn't seem to, well, flow the way a book does...

Spot on. As a journalist who has worked on the internet, we're always told to be aware, generally speaking, to keep internet articles fairly short – because the process of scrolling etc means that it really is not as easy to read lengthy pieces on screen as on the written page.

To an extent, that's why you're seeing a bit of a sea change in the content of newspapers (and, like you, I'm talking UK here). There's an increasing amount of features and analysis in the broadsheets these days – because 24/7 news coverage, on TV and internet, means that many people are saturated with the basic news. Therefore, papers have to provide something different.

I just got the Amazon Kindle as a gift. Please give me some time to use it and I'll be back with a real review for you guys.

Just so you know, I was opposed to it when I saw it. I'm a huge fan of paper books. My house is run over with paper books.

Until next time........

IMO nothing can replace the feel of a book in my hands. I like to see piles of books around the house. IF the Kindle makes more people read then ok BUT if its just the newest gadget for a few people then :p

I just got the Amazon Kindle as a gift. Please give me some time to use it and I'll be back with a real review for you guys.

Just so you know, I was opposed to it when I saw it. I'm a huge fan of paper books. My house is run over with paper books.

Until next time........

I am looking forward to your review.

Back