• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What does ..

Freya said:
Coconuts are hairy though. Why are they? Are any other kind of nuts hairy?

Not so, Freya. They are actually smooth and green to begin with. ;) The hairy layer is underneath.

The coconuts available in this country are only part of the coconut fruit. When first collected from the tree, they still possess their outer layers: a smooth skin ranging in colour from green to brown around a fibrous layer, which is used commercially as coir.

Wheeling and dealing (and the noun wheeler-dealer) connotes dishonesty and hustling, but it doesn't define the person as dishonest. Just someone trying to get the best end of a deal by pulling out all the tricks. Origin might be gambling wheels.

A wheeler-dealer is an operator, a huckster, a trickster. You could refer to a guy like Donald Trump as a wheeler-dealer, but it wouldn't be a compliment, though he might take it as one. :rolleyes: It's a term commonly applied to politicians who negotiate hard for pork (you know what that means, right?).

Bananas grow in "hands" technically, but an attached group at the store is called a bunch.

But if you have "wheeling and dealing" and "bananas" in the same story, you want to be certain that the bananas do not refer to dollars. In a certain context, almost any noun can mean bucks, e.g., clams, potatoes, bananas, donuts, etc.

Aaah, you learn something new everyday.

Shame, I was so looking forward to Raven commenting on that one...

are you talking about lots of bananas, or do you mean the bananas hanging from a branch?
cause the later its not a bunch, cant translate the word on the webtranslators i normaly use (if you have a nice one, try translating "penca") so the closer thing that comes to mind its a cluster of bananas

Martin said:
I'll let Abu or RaVeN tackle that one.

Cheers

I'll leave the nut tackling to Abu, thank you very much.

As for the nanas, that's not a bunch or a hand. C'mon people, look at the picture. If that's not a shitload, I don't know what is.

Martin, a bunch is common usage for 1 grouping, hand would be seen rarely. I think the man on the street would say several bunches, or, a lot.

Ok, so who told you mine was fake? :eek:
I'm pretty sure you can't pull off Freya's though.

I will now leave this thread back to Martin's inquiring mind.

RaVeN

Back