• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What have you read in March?

SFG75

I just finished The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I really had an enjoyable time reading this one. In the end, the ultimate point was that flawed people can coming to realize that good works provides a ray of hope for all of humanity, not all is lost.

So, what did you just recently finish?

I just finished the original Planet of the Apes novel by Pierre Boulle. A great read and entirely unlike the films that have been made.

CDA said:
I just finished the original Planet of the Apes novel by Pierre Boulle. A great read and entirely unlike the films that have been made.
I was so surprised at just how very different the book was to the movie..! And the End! What a kicker. :eek: I have another of his A Noble Profession in my TBR stack.

I just finished Pnin (2nd time around) and I Married A Dead Man, and some of Nabokov's short stories. Almost finished Without Mercy (Jack Higgins).

So far, I've finished The Blind Assassin, The Magician's Nephew, and I'm currently reading The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I think March is going to be a Chronicles of Narnia month (though I have to say so far it isn't living up to my expectations).

So far, in reverse order:

The Atom Station, Halldór Laxness
A Sweet Scent Of Death, Guillermo Arriaga
The Commitments, Roddy Doyle
The Story Of Mr Sommer, Patrick Süskind
Earth And Ashes, Atiq Rahimi
Tamburlaine Must Die, Louise Welsh
Bonjour Tristesse, Françoise Sagan
The Pearl, John Steinbeck
The Outsider, Albert Camus

I have just finished Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. Highly overrated, IMHO. I found it to be overly preachy and at times confusing to follow, especially the two middle sections, which are heavily political. The book is marketed as being a memoir of a woman who arranges secret meetings to discuss banned Western books in revolutionary Iran, but really this makes up only 20% of the book, if that. A bit disappointed by this one, as I was expecting something more like the book that it was marketed as. 6/10

so far only The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.

I've got a whole week ahead of me to do nothing, and I'm bringing 6 books with me though.

*Brokeback Mountain
*Breaker's Reef
*The Virgin Suicides
*The Preacher's Daughter (at least are the ones that I have finished this month; there will be more)

Stewart said:
So far, in reverse order:

The Atom Station, Halldór Laxness
A Sweet Scent Of Death, Guillermo Arriaga
The Commitments, Roddy Doyle
The Story Of Mr Sommer, Patrick Süskind
Earth And Ashes, Atiq Rahimi
Tamburlaine Must Die, Louise Welsh
Bonjour Tristesse, Françoise Sagan
The Pearl, John Steinbeck
The Outsider, Albert Camus

Holy cow Stewart!. No one can accuse you of choosing to read sparingly.:eek:

Ah, but none of them reach 200 pages. Indeed, five are about 110 to 120 pages. Earth And Ashes was only 54 pages.

:eek: :eek: :eek: I have only read 2 books so far in March.

The Moon Is Down
The Pearl

I started a "beach" read......."Shem Creek" by Dorothea Benton but stopped when the library got "The Shootist" for me which I am currently reading.

Finished up Capital City last night by Mari Sandoz. The story is a work of fiction, using real life occurances in several midwestern capital cities at the height of the great depression. If you like The Grapes of Wrath and stories like that, this one will be right up your alley. From union marching parade attacking Pinkerton men to corrupt politicians, all of the stories are told here about this tumultuous time in American history. The book is a definite must have if you like history.:)

muggle said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: I have only read 2 books so far in March.

The Moon Is Down
The Pearl

I started a "beach" read......."Shem Creek" by Dorothea Benton but stopped when the library got "The Shootist" for me which I am currently reading.

/stern look/.............its not the quantity, its the Quality! :cool: :D

Well, I also read "Children Of First man", however, I claimed it in the February reads and it would not be fair to claim it again. :D

Has anyone read "The Rebels of Ireland : The Dublin Saga" by Edward Rutherfurd. It is the concluding book of the Dublin Saga. I really enjoyed the first book....The Princes Of Ireland. I see where the book is on the best sellers list in the U.S. Guess I will have to shop around to see where I can get the best price. It is a huge book with 896 pages and, for me, will be a slow read as there is a lot of history to absorb and I go back and re-read many parts over and over.

Let us see . . .

The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Quin.
The Complete Stories, Volume 1 by Isaac Asimov.
Harry Potter and The Sorceror's Stone by J. K. Rowling.
The House of Thunder by Dean R. Koontz.
Airframe by Michael Crichton.

Soon to be read . . .

Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling.
Voyagers by Ben Bova.
Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian.
Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling
Odd Thomas by Dean R. Koontz.
Discloser by Michael Crichton.

pontalba said:
I was so surprised at just how very different the book was to the movie..! And the End! What a kicker. :eek: I have another of his A Noble Profession in my TBR stack.

I just finished Pnin (2nd time around) and I Married A Dead Man, and some of Nabokov's short stories. Almost finished Without Mercy (Jack Higgins).

Ah the films are so....cack!

I kind of saw it coming, but I revelled in it!

Back