• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What is a good young adult literature book to do a literary argument/paper on?

Brunomcnico

I have to read a young adult/ adolescent literature book for a reading class and am having trouble finding anything. What can anybody reccommend. It cant just be something like harry potter, it has to be something I could write a good paper on. Oh and if you have any topic ideas for the paper, that would be a tremendous help. Thanks.

Three suggestions for young adult fiction:

Slaughteboy, by Odo Hirsch.
Tomorrow, When the War Began (first book in the Tomorrow series), by John Marsden.
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon.

All three have compelling and well crafted stories. The premise of each lends themselves well to the drafting of a paper on a myriad of topics drawn from any one of the three books.

Fahrenheit 451.
Catch-22
Animal Farm.
Lord of the Flies.
Catcher in the Rye.

And while The Little Prince may seem for juveniles, this book has depth.

The Curious Incident is a great book, I didn't realize it was young adult. I'd second that recommendation if you're allowed to read it.

Is there a specific age target you need to read? There are a TON of really good young adult books out there. Here is a list of YRCA winners from our library. YRCA is the Young Readers Choice Awards. Books are nominated for a season, and then anyone who reads the books can vote for their favorites in each of the age categories.

Try reading something by Kate DiCamillo (Because of Winn-Dixie, Tale of Desperaux) or by Gordon Korman (Son of the Mob). I loved Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke. How about Holes, by Louis Sachar? That's a teacher and student favorite to write about. I've had some great stuff come in about it, the themes of strength, family, loyalty and love are really well illustrated.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

What's wrong with Harry Potter?
Most things by Margaret Peterson Haddix would be something you could talk about in a paper. She writes a lot of dystopia stuff.

Back