• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What is a good....

AbsoluteZero

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a Fictional fantasy novel. The only thing I ask is that there are no books about space. I am not too interested in that. And I am not too interested in Horror either.

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. One of my all-time favorites.

The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks is a great start for anyone interested in the genre.

Terry Pratchett for comedy and amusement. Only the 'City Guard' books in the series are worth reading, try Guards Guards first.
If you want a serious book though and Pratchetts ironic vision isn't for you, how about American Gods by Neil Gaiman? This is a fantasy novel set in our world. With creatures of mythology interacting with ordinary people and with a feel that reminds me of American Beauty.
I URGE YOU TO TRY THIS BOOK! YOU WILL NEVER REGRET IT.
Nuff said.

Fictional Fantasy...Hmmm.

I still enjoy reading The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis from time to time (No space there.) This Immortal by Roger Zelazny is a good one too (a lot of his stuff is). Some people enjoy the Xanth Series by Piers Anthony although you might take a break after about the tenth volume--it gets a little tedious--as does Pratchett IMHO but don't throw things true fans because you probably can't hit me from where you're sitting. Heinlein took a stab at fantasy once in Glory Road it was short but pretty good. Orson Scott Card does a good job in Enchanted.

And that ought to get you going. Most of these are light-weight fantasy if you're just getting started and won't choke you to death with demons, dragons, swords, spells, magic doo-dads, and assorted Fantasy paraphenalia. (Except Xanth and most of that's harmless unless you have a low pun tolerance level.)

P.S. How could I forget The Amber Series also by Roger Zelazny?

I can recommend John Crowley's Little, Big, though it might be kind of tough sledding for your first time out. If you are looking for something even less "traditional", you might want to try something like Gabriel Garcia Marquez' One Hundred Years of Solitude, or Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities, or Jorge Luis Borges' Ficciones.

Hey thanks everyone. I just got American Gods. I will try and read all of the other books you suggested as well, when I get the time. Thanks again.

Back