• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What Makes A Great Author?

eyez0nme

What qualities do you look for when choosing a new author? What authors do you keep going back to, time and again, and get excited when you see they have a new book coming out? Why?

Imagination, creativity: It's what makes a good, successful author, in my view. Now a great one? Hmmm. :confused:

I prefer an author to have some sense of humour, no matter what he or she is writing about. I hate it when a truly serious, dramatic book doesn't take a single break from the theme. Part of why I love Terry Pratchett so much as an author is because in his book Night Watch, he tells a very serious story, tries to offer some insight into what freedom really is, and at the same time doesn't keep battering you over the head with his beliefs. He lets you laugh now and then. He keeps you from sitting there and feeling like you're watching a soap opera. I've always thought that was important.

Back