• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What music genre drives you nuts?

What music genre do you despise the most?

• Country/western

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Rap/Hip-hop/R&B

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Folk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jazz/Blues

• Alternative rock

• Techno/Rave

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Rock

• Pop

• Heavy metal

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In my opinion, rap has sparked a decrease in interest in poetry. Other genres have at least some songs that are poetic and thoughtful, all excepting rap.

I'm personally a big fan of symphonic metal, which combines metal with orchestras and other nifty things. This genre consistently has excellent poetic lyrics and I have not heard one yet where the word "ho" is mentioned--a huge bonus.

Don't like rap, and I loathe almost all modern country music. It's too slick. And yes, thrash metal is awful.

Rap/Hip-Hop. I like certain kinds of metal and techno/dance, I can appreciate jazz, and country music is tolerable. Rap and hip-hop are awful, and most R&B isn't any better!

I voted against country and western because it's constantly mistaken as interchangeable with my actual darling, bluegrass. I love blackstrap molasses and wheatgerm bread, but I hate that guy's bigass, shiny new truck.

I wanted to vote twice since I find techno annoying. But then, it's fairly cross-pollinated into many genres. I associate it with that niggly little vocal tic engineers are always adding into mixes - there must be a name for it, but of that I remain thankfully ignorant. Feel free to enlighten me, if you happen to know...

It isn't really a genre so much as it's just the unwelcome bands in the genre. Not every band in every genre has to be original but if they're gonna rip their whole thing from another band, atleast do it well.

For the most part I figure I'd like a few bands in each genre, but with that said, I don't listen to Jazz or Funk, but I enjoy bands who incorporate those genres into their genre.

ie: Refused on The Shape of Punk to Come (jazz influenced guitars)

I hate Rap/Hip Hop/R&B, and also dance music (which might come under Techno/Rave), but the former takes the lead. I just don't see the value in the majority of the songs and all the music videos for them seem to have a fixation with half naked women and cars...

I don't handle rap well for long, or heavy metal either..but what really sets my teeth on edge is Southern Gospel! I have about a three song limit then I'm ready to change the record..this is fine when its a cd or the radio, but rather problematic when its a live performance:rolleyes:

I don't hate any genre but can't see the fascination with certain types of music - but that's just me, it doesn't mean the music is essentially bad.

Techno and dance are not my cup of tea. Don't care for most modern soul ballads. Nu-Metal baffles me.
I don't mind industrial type metal like Rammstein or Marilyn Manson (old style, when he was covered in black muck and riding a pig or on stilts. This new Vivienne Westwood clad Manson is better groomed but his new music, well, I’m not sure about that. Although it is funny that he's all growed up and sleeping with teenagers).
I think Metallica did one good album.

Wow, hip-hop's not popular here. I quite like Pharrell's stuff (NERD or Neptunes or whatever they're called). Country's not all bad (Gillian Welsh, Johnny Cash, Allison Krauss). C'mon, no one here likes a little Snoop Dog or Public Enemy or NWA?

I must admit to disliking most British indie bands, young and old, no doubt with a few exceptions.

Grunge is great, Neil Young rules and PJ Harvey kicks *ss.
I like the Ramones despite the fact that half the time I can’t understand what Joey’s saying.

The End.

I really can't stand Country music but it seems to have quite the following so who am I to judge.

All rap/hip hop/r&b isn't bad. I think you guys are confusing mainstream rap which is just crap produced to get the "artist" rich with no talent backing the music.

But some examples, in my opinion, of talented artists in these genres would be The Fugees or Aesop Rock.

There are no particualr genres that I detest, but a strong consensus that really irks the shit out of me is that rap music brings forth with it no message. If you want to judge an entire genre of music based off snips you've seen on MTV, at least take the time to dive in a bit and explore different artists of the hip hop world, and stop veering your attention always towards the "bitches and hoes," crap. Yeah, "Japanese Techno," after a "no message," comment sends me off the wall, too.

The only genre for certain I don't think I could ever get into is heavy metal. I just don't like the sound or rhythm.

There are no particualr genres that I detest, but a strong consensus that really irks the shit out of me is that rap music brings forth with it no message. If you want to judge an entire genre of music based off snips you've seen on MTV, at least take the time to dive in a bit and explore different artists of the hip hop world, and stop veering your attention always towards the "bitches and hoes," crap.

You mean like this and this?
rofl.gif

The only genre for certain I don't think I could ever get into is heavy metal. I just don't like the sound or rhythm.

I agree, but some bands can still rock pretty hard and sound good, such as Taproot, and Nickelback.
rock.gif

SFG75:
I like how you linked two songs of the rap/hiphop variety that definitely fall into the "mainstream MTV crap" catagory, after SevenWritez stated that that is precisely what people should *not* judge the genre off of.

Btw, Nickleback and Taproot rocking hard? Nice try.

I like how you linked two songs of the rap/hiphop variety that definitely fall into the "mainstream MTV crap" catagory, after SevenWritez stated that that is precisely what people should *not* judge the genre off of.

Relax; I'm pretty sure SFG was joking (hopefully he was also kidding about the Taproot/Nickelback comment). Anyway, I've heard both indie and mainstream rap . . . I'm quite fine sticking to my preferred genres of music.

And what's wrong with someone enjoying Japanese techno?

And what's wrong with someone enjoying Japanese techno?

Nothing at all. However, seeing as the poster first said "All music has a message of some sort" (It isn't verbatim, but hey, it's the general gyst), then discrediting rap for not bringing with it anything, and then going on to say they enjoyed Japanese Techno in the same comment piqued my irritation.

I can see why people like it, but I don't see a message when a phrase is repeated over and over again. Then again, I haven't listened to much of the genre, so I'm guilty of exactly what I protested.

*HOLY SHIT HE'S A HYPOCRITE!*

Back