• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Whats so good about Harry potter?

booksquisher

I read the Harry Potter books before they became movies and I think they were over publicised (have I spelt that right?) Harry Potter is just not about the book anymore, but is more to do with whether you own merchandise. The original story I admit was quite good, but I have now grown tired and bored of it. Whats so good about Harry Potter anyway?

Dirty little secret: The Harry Potter books aren't really that well written. Everybody "tears" all the time when they hurry, or run, or are under stress. It's quite annoying. More importantly, the first and fourth books cheat; they depend on red herrings. I liked the third book, but the fourth killed the series for me. I haven't read the fifth, and I don't think I ever will. Fortunately, I have a thirteen-year-old friend who has read all 975 pages five times, and has given me the summary version.

Harry Potter had the perfect pairing of bording school book with magic. They're the kind of books I liked to read when I was a young un (and apparently still do). But they did kind of lose their appeal after the third book or so - whenever it was that they got to be incredibly long. Just no need.

I read one and thought it was ok. Still don't understand the hype. The younger blonder version of me doesn't read so everyone said "Read Harry Potter to her". Thank gawd it only made her fall asleep faster!

She's almost 15 now and has seen the movies and doesn't like them either. Mind you, she likes the Ashley twins. No accounting for taste.

Can I disown her?

Harry Potter is just fun to read. I hate the hype and the movies aren't very good, but I really enjoy the books.

I couldn't care less about what people think about JK's writing. I realize of course that only those opinions about literature that come from academe count, that only the pompous & arrogant need apply. But I really don't care.

If you didn't read book five, Mari, you missed the best HP Book to date.

I agree with Freya, that the setting of a boarding school plus magic is a good combination. Almost everyone can relate to the school experience and magic always seems to attract people.

I agree that the series and movies have been overhyped, but I haven't really let that bother me. I tend not to pay attention to hype, so I'm able to just enjoy the story. I'm eagerly awaiting book six, and I know I'll see the next movie (and likely be disappointed, but such is life).

What's good about the Harry Potter is the suspense and mystery. It might be formulaic, mystery books often are. But that should hopefully not be in your way when it comes to enjoying the books. Hype should also not make a difference when judging a book.

I think the merchandise was something that Warner demanded in order to make the movies.

I like the books, my friend doesn't though and we always have arguments about it, she thinks they r too childish (shes only 15) and they don't relate to real life (real life usually sucks so who wants to read about other peoples problems when they have got enough of there own). I like Harry Potter because its a contrast of real life and another dimension (is that the right word?) I think people are sometimes cynical about Harry Potter because of all the hype, but also because they think they are too mature or above it. Anyone who thinks like this really needs to give them another shot. I don't think anyone who read the books after the movies can apreciate there quality as much as someone who read them when they wern't a big deal, and if your one of those people well, it sucks to be you. (This is just an opinion)

What's good about the Harry Potter is the suspense and mystery. It might be formulaic, mystery books often are. But that should hopefully not be in your way when it comes to enjoying the books. Hype should also not make a difference when judging a book.

Well said, Wolhay!

I like them a lot. As Freya said, the boarding school / magic thing was a big drawcard for me, too. They remind me of what I used to read when I was a teenager. I think they are well written for the audience at which they are principally aimed. Each chapter usually ends on some small element of suspense that makes the child keep reading. And really, what more can you ask from a children's book except that it makes children *want* to read. Too often today kids play video games and watch TV. Anything that can turn them back to the written word and make them use their imaginations is wonderful in my opinion.

As to merchandise, well, if you don't like it, don't buy it. I don't think the merchandise has overtaken the stories at all. And look on the bright side, there's a once poverty stricken single mum out there who's now making an awful lot of money and can provide so much for her kids.

Kookamoor said:
And really, what more can you ask from a children's book except that it makes children *want* to read. Too often today kids play video games and watch TV. Anything that can turn them back to the written word and make them use their imaginations is wonderful in my opinion.
Amen! Just ponder this: you've seen the print runs and the sales figures for HP books. That's a very very tiny percentage of the world population able to read. And it is nearly a singular sales figure. Most books sell in tiny tiny percentages of that number. :(

I won't knock Harry Potter, but there are many novels and series for young readers that are equally good or better that haven't generated the same manic fanfare. The only thing I don't understand is why this particular franchise has risen to such heights while others linger in relative obscurity :confused:

I think, in part, the controvery helped HP gain wider attention and thus, gained more readers. I also think the setting of a boarding school helps fuel the popularity, because this is something to which almost all of us can relate. And magic seems to be a fairly popular topic.

And being a person who has read quite a few YA novels, its easier for me to relate to Harry and friends than it is to the younger characters in some other books. This definitely increases my enjoyment of these books.

Can Anyone Help, Please :confused:
My Little boy wants to enter a H P comp....
He asked me these 3 questions... I don't have a clue!
:eek:

1. In The Philosopher's Stone, what chess piece does Ron ride to win the game?
Black Knight
White Queen
White Knight

2. Which portrait replaced the Fat Lady as guardian of the Gryffindor common room after she was attacked by Sirius Black in The Prisoner of Azkaban?

Professor Dumbledore and sherbert lemons
Sir Cadogan and his fat grey pony
Nearly-Headless Nick and the Headless Hunt

3. Who was Prongs of 'Mooney, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs'?
Remus Lupin
Sirius Black
James Potter

I think the best part of the HP books is that it brought so many age groups together, I know my parents, my brothers, my husband, my son (book 1) & my self have read it and it's great that we all can talk about it and share it. There are better books but this one is nice because it's so popular with so many different people and gives them something to share.

Delta Doh- my guesses to your ?s
1. white knight, one of the knights was not sure which color
2. Sir Cadogan & his fat grey pony
3. James Potter

Ronny said:
I think the best part of the HP books is that it brought so many age groups together, I know my parents, my brothers, my husband, my son (book 1) & my self have read it and it's great that we all can talk about it and share it. There are better books but this one is nice because it's so popular with so many different people and gives them something to share.

Delta Doh- my guesses to your ?s
1. white knight, one of the knights was not sure which color
2. Sir Cadogan & his fat grey pony
3. James Potter

Thanks Ronny x :)

Harry Potter gives off that lovely old fashioned - english feeling. Well the books do anyway. Like, the magic, old english, boarding school thing is really nice and magical, for want of a better word. And when you get really engrosed into that plot and the thoughts of the characters you really start to put clues together.

J.K. Rowling is a very good author. She can weave together a marvelously tricky plot and I think you really need to read all the books a couple of times to really get the plot and clues.

Apart from what I've mentioned, it's good because of the characters, settings, ideas...marvelous ideas, friendship morals, drama, theme. It's just a great series. What spoils it is people saying it's for children. I didn't realise for a while that yes it's theme is childish but the writing is bold and I certainly wouldn't be ashamed if I were 40, or whatever, and reading it, anywhere.

The movies have spoilt it to an extent. They've had to cut and simplify the stories so that it seems unnatural and the exciting, authentic and originality is gone. The movies make it seem so it's all about the stereotypical witches and brooms and cauldrons. But they also make clear the characters and settings and visually it's great to see these books you've loved for years up on screen with marevlous graphics.

The books are alway better because of the great detail that gets rid of one's sterotype of witches and wizards.

Back