• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

What's up with number 13?

pink shadow

I was recently flying with Ryan Air when I noticed that there was no row number 13. And I just read a book with a building in it that didn't have a 13th floor. What is up with number 13? Is it just bad luck in general or will something specific happen? Do you know any stories? Have you noticed this phenomenon in other places?

Wow, I thought everyone on the planet knew that 13 was big trouble. A lot of people opt out of being 13 years old these days. They go straight from 12 to 14. Unless they're in a coven of wiccans or something.

Goths2.jpg

Thirteen

novella said:
Oh. You surprise me. And I suppose you think 666 is perfectly innocent as well?
They're just numbers. The majority of people relate 666 to the devil and 13 is deemed as unlucky. I have my own unlucky numbers, relating to things apparent to me. If everyone else wants the same unlucky number then so be it, I have no qualms about it. Even if I do think it's just superstition. :)

Well, I knew that 13 was bad luck, but I didn't think major corporations would be supersticious enough to remove it from their planes/houses. I like it though, it adds a feeling of mystery and magic to reality.

What is 666?

;) ;)

pink shadow said:
Well, I knew that 13 was bad luck, but I didn't think major corporations would be supersticious enough to remove it from their planes/houses. I like it though, it adds a feeling of mystery and magic to reality.

What is 666?

;) ;)

I've never noticed 13 missing from places but I hardly ever pay attention. I'll have to start looking for missing 13s now :)

i know many consider it unlucky....but it doesn't really bother me....although i will admit, if given the choice between 13 and something else, i'll usually choose the other (why tempt fate? ) but i never noticed it missing from buildings or anything...will pay more attention too!

666 is branded onto SFG's neck. It means devil child or something, right, Moto?
Hey, isn't Dick Cheney from Nebraska too?

I don't remember why 6 is supposed to be bad, but there are three of them because it's mocking the holy trinity. 13 is unlucky because there were 13 people at the last supper. Fear of the number thirteen is called triskadecaphobia or something crazy like that. I can't spell it!

13 is my favourite number - was was born on Friday the Thirteenth, so I'm testing fate already :D I noticed when I went on a gondola for a school trip that they missed out 13 when numbering the carriages. At my primary school they also number the hall as classroom 13 because none of the teachers wanted to teach in Room 13 :p

I don't know if it is still an architectural practice, but in the USA some older buildings do not have a thirteenth floor. The levels are from 1 to 12, then 14. Sometimes the 13th floor is renamed. e.g. 12 ½.

In some societies, 13 is considered a lucky number.

Back