• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Where are you from?

steffee

Tell me something about the place you live.

I live in Coventry in the UK, but I am originally from Durham.

Coventry smells. It's a city, but not as big as London or Birmingham, and it's quite cosmopolitan compared to Durham, which is beautiful (if I do say so myself ;) ). The nightlife (in Coventry) is varied but expensive, the shops are pretty much the same as any British city, which is a shame; and there's not much in the way of parks or other attractions, but we do have two universities, one of which has a good reputation (Warwick!). There's a river that runs to Banbury which is about 17 miles, and it takes over 24 hours to get there by boat.

Oh, and Lady Godiva once rode naked through the streets of Coventry! :eek: :D

And don't forget that Coventry is home to the production of the famous-Jaguar. Hence the name: "Coventrycats" I found that out from a guy on another board who married someone from there. :)

Wow, I didn't know that!

Oh but there's a saying in the UK... "being sent to Coventry" which means you are being ignored / ignoring someone. ;) :D

So SFG, what's Nebraska like?

Wow, I didn't know that!

Oh but there's a saying in the UK... "being sent to Coventry" which means you are being ignored / ignoring someone. ;) :D

Interesting, I'll have to remember that one. It could be worse, you could be described as Aberdonian.;)

So SFG, what's Nebraska like?

I live in a small town of roughly 1400. Nebraska has about 1.3 million people in the entire state. On football game days, the stadium becomes the second largest city in the state. Husker football is very big here, we have no professional sports teams, so everyone follows them. Our two largest cities are Lincoln and Omaha. Both have about roughly 450,000 people each, so they are the "big cities" so to speak(not a word Peder!, not a word!) In terms of literature, we're home to Willa Cather and Mari Sandoz. Everyone gives the "nebraska salute" to other drivers. It's where you have one hand on the steering-wheel and you raise the index finger as you pass someone. Larger cities have a different "salute" that features another finger, but ours is what makes us special.:D

Wow SFG, how interesting! I love the Sutton link, and am reading all about the improvements to Clark's Pond :)

Oh yeah, population. Coventry has a population of 300,000 within 26 square miles, while Durham has a population of 86,000 over 185 square miles.

EDIT: that sounds like something Bill Bryson would say about the "Nebraskan Salute", lol :D

Well I live in Miami, Florida. It's extremely hot during the Summer and during Winter the weather fluxes from very cold to hot. Traffic is horrible, people here suffer from screaming at everyone and flicking everyone on the streets. The funny thing is that if your window is closed...who can hear you? :rolleyes:

Miami Beach is the main attraction and celebrities are attracted due to this. But if you live in the city...believe me...you'll wonder why anyone goes so crazy for coming to Miami.

At least this is my opinion :) .

Im from a small town in Indiana
its close to Chicago
my town has nothing to do
only bars
and everybody smokes pot
what else is there to do?

stigmaticman said:
its close to Chicago
only bars
and everybody smokes pot
Jeez, that sounds depressing. :( Does the town have a library. :)

Steffee, I will post where I live in the next day or two when I have a litlle more time. :)

stigmaticman said:
its close to Chicago
only bars
and everybody smokes pot

Is your first name Holden by any chance ;)

Great muggle :)

I live about an hour outside of the site of the 2010 Winter Olympics. It's nothing really special as there is nothing really to do here. It's more like any suburb that you would find in North America. It sucks that the only public transit that would allow you to go into the city would force you to get up at least 7 am and then you wouldn't get back until at the earliest at around 4 pm, unless you dared to park you car in Surrey for more than a hour. :p

It's mainly a farming community; well, it has a strong argicultural background, but is slowly getting urbanized. But with government regulations, we will probably never spread that much further.

I live about an hour outside of the site of the 2010 Winter Olympics. It's nothing really special as there is nothing really to do here. It's more like any suburb that you would find in North America. It sucks that the only public transit that would allow you to go into the city would force you to get up at least 7 am and then you wouldn't get back until at the earliest at around 4 pm, unless you dared to park you car in Surrey for more than a hour. :p

You can keep Bode Miller.;)

I live in Rangiora, New Zealand (it says Christchurch on my profile because that is the nearest major city - I live about 20 minutes north from there). It's a rural town, with probably about 10k-15k people (almost a city - whoo! :D). We have a maritime climate here in New Zealand, so weather doesn't fluctuate overly much. Summer is usually around 20-30 degrees C (68-86 F) and winter 5-15 C (41-59 F) - it snows about 2 or 3 times during winter where I live.

As for scenery, just picture the landscape shots from LOTR and you're pretty much there :p They shot LOTR a couple of hours drive south of where I live (well, most of it - the scenes in the forest in The Fellowship were shot in our capital city, Welligton), and the scenery is not much different. Lots of trees, cows and sheep - there's not really any other way to describe NZ! I'll post a map of where I live in NZ (partway down the South Island) as well as a few touristy shots of Rangiora/CHCH :)

ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d45_MonkeCatcher_nzmapnn.jpg
ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d45_MonkeCatcher_nz2.jpg
ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d45_MonkeCatcher_chch.jpg
ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d45_MonkeCatcher_cathedral.jpg

steffee said:
Oh wow MonkeyCatcher, those pics are beautiful!! :D
I'm glad you liked them :) The last one, by the way, was of the Christchurch Cathedral - the main tourist attraction. You can climb all the way up the spiral to an observation deck type thing, although the stairs are steep and spiral and are rather scary to climb down! It is also a bell tower, and they ring the bells every hour. I got to ring them when I went on a trip there in primary school, and the bell was so heavy that I was completely lifted off the ground when the bell started swinging :D

I live in the "Country" approx. 10 miles Northwest of Charlottesville, VA, USA. in the winter when the leaves are off the trees I can see the Blue Ridge Mountains from my back porch. Charlottesville has a population of approx. 49,000 people. There are many writers, movie stars, etc that live in our little town. John Grisham, Rita Mae Brown, Sissy Spacek, Howie Long, Dave Matthews Band, etc. BTW, 99% of them are very nice people that do much good for the community.

Charlottesville has the reputation as being the most "read" town in the U.S. We also have every year the "Virginia Film Festival" and the "Festival Of The Book". We also have the University OF Virginia, the biggest employer in the County. I frequently see black bear in my back yard that come down from the mountains in the spring and summer. Deer are a nuisance and are seen every day in herds.

My screened porch is where I do much of my reading in the summer when I'm not chasing away deer or bear. :)

qp2xiq.jpg
qp2xwh.jpg

Wow, Muggle, best read town eh? Imagine that. :eek: :D :cool: It sounds very exciting! And all those famous people, bears and deer in your back garden and the Blue Ridge mountains from your porch. It sounds amazing, you must be very happy there :D :D

Aww lol Monkey Catcher, at the bell being too heavy :D :D

Sounds like a very adventurous life, muggle! I've always wanted to see a bear. Seeing as how we don't have snakes and only two kinds of poisonous spiders here in the South Island (there is another kind of spider in the North Island), the most dangerous thing would probably be a wild boar or a dog. Those rabid sheep can get pretty nasty too :D

I live in the South West of Scotland in a town called Dumfries, but I was born in Orkney (the islands in between Scotland and Shetland). Acording to Wikipedia the population is 35400, but that really means nothing to me. :p There are some pictures on the Wiki page if anyone wants to look at very random stuff.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumfries

Its not too bad, better than the place I lived 2 years ago (which is smaller, more ned filled and only one hour away). I'm having to move house soon but it should be in the same town (or in one of the smaller villages around it).

Some random information about Dumfries... The local McDonalds caught fire Wednesday night because of faulty wiring in the McFlurry Machine. :p And thats about the most interesting thing that has happened for a while. And it's even open again...

Back