• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which Authors have you met/emailed?

wilderness

Hey
The Age Melbourne Writers Festival is starting in a few weeks and I will be seeing a whole lot of my favourite authors.
Which authors have you met? Or have you emailed?
lani

Some poor guy trying to sell his book at the Coles(CDN chain) in a local mall. Seemed like a nice guy. His book looked self published. He lost me when he told me it was the LOTR for ancient Egypt. And I had no money to buy anything. The thought of sitting in malls getting people in malls to buy something I wrote turns me off the idea of even trying to become a writer.

I'd need a shovel or a time machine to get at most authors that I'd actually like to meet.

Michael Morpergo (can't spell it sorry). He's a really good children's writer. He was cool. I'd love to meet H.G Wells, but I can't seem to find an e-mail address or fan mail address for him anywhere. Wonder why...

I have also met Michael Morpurgo, but I was so young that I don't really remember. I do have his autograph on a Wreck of the Zanzibar (I think) postcard, somewhere.

I met Richard Powers once, right around when A Time of Our Singing came out. Absolutely an amazing experience.

Attended a lecture and book signing by John Dominic Crossan. I didn't bring the book Paul, a new book of his-but we did have a great conversation.

I used to play with John R. Powers' little sister when I was a kid. He was just her big brother "Johnnie" as far as I was concerned. Then when he wrote "Last Catholic in America" I found myself reading about all of the neighbors. It was very surreal, the way he made up names for people I could clearly identify. He even renamed the local woman who used to root through everyone's trash. Her real name was Garbage Grannie, but he called her Garbage Lady Annie.

Odd tale - she came from Czechoslovakia or something after WWII, never learned English and just couldn't quite let go of trash. The grown-ups speculated it had something to do with the trauma. She wasn't homeless - she had a house. Then when she died, another woman, Rosie, who spoke English with an accent and was really very nice, replaced her, moved into her rundown shack and went up and down the alleys picking up newspapers and bottles. She kept about 100 cats. I swear when I was a kid, I thought it was a job and that every town had a woman like that.

John and I had some sporadic email correspondence in recent years. He's mainly an inspirational speaker these days. But Last Catholic was recently re-released so we may be hearing more from him as an author. He's a wonderful, very funny writer. Very nice man as well. My favorite of his is "The Junk-Drawer Corner-Store Front-Porch Blues," which you can find used on Amazon, but everything he writes is great.

Actually, this has nothing to do with authors but more about the Chicago neighborhood John R. Powers writes about. He lived a block away from me, and across the alley lived actors Michael and Virginia Madsen. Michael Flatley (Lord of the Dance) lived two miles to the west.

If you saw that neighborhood, you would never dream how many creative types have come out of it.

When I was in university, Allen Ginsberg came and did a reading. Afterwards, he stayed and chatted with the students. Sadly, I was much too chicken at the time to say anything to him. Still savoured the experience, though.

I met Robin Hobb on 21/22 July, last week!
She was promoting her new book Shaman's Crossing in Australia and luckily Sydney was one of her stops and I managed to meet her and get four of my books signed! And also listen to her read SC's first chapter and general Q&A session. (where I chickened out asking a question about her dragons dammit! ah... :rolleyes:

here are the books I got signed (LJ) :D

I met Adam Hart-Davis (guy off telly, What the romans did for us, etc) once, he was really nice
My sister met Lee Child and got a signed copy of one of his books for my birthday :D

Stewart[url=http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?t=2320 said:
use the search function[/url] before posting a topic; you'll then find out it's been done before.

For me, this is kind of like when you're looking up a word in a dictionary, and in the place where you think the word should be, you find a referral to the place where it actually is -- but not the description of the word itself?

That's always a puzzlement to me; I think I could occasionally handle a thing being in two places at the same time, or even maybe a description and a referral?

Oh, never mind. I haven't had my coffe yet.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, have your coffee. :)

If someone wants to start the same threads over and over again then they are wasting space and will no doubt wonder why the regulars aren't answering their question. The reason, of course, is that we've answered them before.

A good search before you post a new topic is good forum netiquette as if you are posting something that's been done to death then you are only wasting others' time.

wilderness said:
Hey
The Age Melbourne Writers Festival is starting in a few weeks and I will be seeing a whole lot of my favourite authors.
Which authors have you met? Or have you emailed?
lani

(Still, fairly coffeed up by now -- that first cup may actually have been made from decaffienated coffee beans, left over from last night...)

Hi there, wilderness! I have met Oakley Hall (Downhill Racer, Warlock), who is a curmugeon-ly sort of a guy, plus a few other northern California-type writers. I met Oakley through one of his daughters, who was very graciously doing some editing for me. (Poor thing, I just know she was only doing it because she was desperate for the money.)

I recently saw Isabel Allende having lunch with her family, but I forced myself to sit quietly in my chair and to not stare at her. (To her great relief, I'm positive -- she was sending out "don't mess with me right now" vibes, and who can blame her? )

There is another thread on this same subject called: "Have you ever met one of your favorite authors?" that may interest you -- if you haven't wandered off already.

:D

By wasting space I'm referring to the site's underlying database. Just inject that coffee into your veins. ;)

Okay, so maybe there's a finite amount of space -- but time? You're talking to the woman who contributes to the Four Word Story. Obviously time means nothing to me.

:D

Back