• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Which Was the Last Book You Read in One Sitting?

Interesting question it doesn't happen often for me, but it has been done:

Skipping Christmas- John Grisham
Animal Farm- George Orwell
Anthem- Ayn Rand
Boy's Life- Robert McCammon (multiple sittings in one day)

The last two were for school when I had a bad habit of leaving them to the last minute to read.

There have been several lately that I have finished in one long sitting after getting through the preliminaries up to about half-way. The half-way point seems to be the hump where it is all downhill afterwards, and I will stick with it to find out what happens. So the last book that I finished in one long burst of reading was in fact the last book I read, Blindfold by Siri Hustvedt. Not the most riveting book, but I just had to find out how it ended.

The last book that I actually finished entirely in one sitting from front to back cover was so long ago I hardly remember. But I do remember the very first, Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis, as a school reading assignment. I started and finished in one weekend, and had the thrill of realizing for the first time that I could read a 'grown-up' book without pictures and enjoy it. That was the beginning milestone in my more or less continual reading since then.

Glad to see you posting.

There have been several lately that I have finished in one long sitting after getting through the preliminaries up to about half-way. The half-way point seems to be the hump where it is all downhill afterwards, and I will stick with it to find out what happens. So the last book that I finished in one long burst of reading was in fact the last book I read, Blindfold by Siri Hustvedt. Not the most riveting book, but I just had to find out how it ended.

The last book that I actually finished entirely in one sitting from front to back cover was so long ago I hardly remember. But I do remember the very first, Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis, as a school reading assignment. I started and finished in one weekend, and had the thrill of realizing for the first time that I could read a 'grown-up' book without pictures and enjoy it. That was the beginning milestone in my more or less continual reading since then.

Glad to see you posting.

Funny, Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis is the next book on my TBR list. How funny. :)

Funny, Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis is the next book on my TBR list. How funny. :)
I hope you enjoy it. I forget completely what it is about, but I do remember that it was an interesting story that kept me reading right along. It was my first real immersion into a fictional world in the pages of a book.

Yup, there would be ALOT of books I would finish in one sitting if I had the time, but alas, I don't.

The last one I finished in one sitting was,

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Unfortunately I haven't had as much time lately so it takes me a bit longer.

The last one I read in one sitting was In the Beginning...was the Command Line. It was less than 200 pages and I was on a plane so it was easy to get through.

Alexander McCall Smith, Blue Shoes and Happiness.

All in one television-free evening. I know the characters in this series and the reading goes very fast.

Every time a new Diana Gabaldon Outlander series book comes out I practically read it in one sitting, well, two...but with those monsters, two counts as one. :cool:

It's been ages since I had the straight time to accomplish that feat, but gee it was fun and I wish I could remember what it was.

AIE: Oh, I forgot, after the hurricane went through 3 years ago we had no electricity or phone, hence no computer for quite awhile, I remember reading Pride of Carthage in, if not one sitting, one day.

The one and only book that I did that with was "Coraline" by Neil Gaiman. Though “The Invention of Hugo Cabret” by Brian Selznick came awful close. I read it all in one day, but took various breaks throughout.

The last one I read in one sitting was In the Beginning...was the Command Line. It was less than 200 pages and I was on a plane so it was easy to get through.

Gosh, that reminds me, I made it through a book in one sitting a few months back. I think it had less then 180 pages and bad enough that I forgot the title and author.

Mine was Airframe, by Michael Crichton. It's not often I can reading something in one sitting. It has to be quite fast paced, and easy to absorb. :D

Only read two books ever in one sitting and one was only like 30 pages.
Henry David Thoreau - Civil Disobedience
Michael Crichton - Prey

There are only a few that I have had the time and willpower to read in one sitting.
Intensity by Dean Koontz (the only book I've enjoyed by him as well) I read in one sitting. I just couldn't put it down. The others were part of the Anita Blake vampire hunter series by Laurell K Hamilton. Excellent books to have at the beach. I almost finished Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows in one sitting, but I had company arrive that pulled me away from it (unwillingly, I might add) until the following morning.

I read Cell by Stephen King in one sitting...it is a pretty small ovel and was pretty good til the end...the ending sucked! Too bad :(. I really like Stephen King for the most part.

Back