• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Who here speaks more than one language?

ValkyrieRaven88

I was just wondering how many multilingual people we had here, and what languages they speak. I know we have a few members who learned English as a second language.

My native language was English, but I speak a little bit of Spanish and English Sign Language. I plan to learn how to speak more, probably ancient languages as I plan to be a historian of Ancient Egypt.

Anyone else?

The languages I know:

- English, duh :rolleyes:
- Arabic, it's my mother tongue.

Other type of languages:

- Mathematics, the language of the universe :D
- C++/C#, the language of computer programmers
- Assembly, the language of the computer hardware (which is directly translated to 1's and 0's :cool: )
- Soccer, the language the whole world understands ;)

Nativ language: Norwegian
Speaks: English, German, Swedish and Danish (Swedish and Danish are quit simular to Norwegian).
Knows a bit French and Spanish, but thats only some phrases.

Nativ language: Norwegian
Speaks: English, German, Swedish and Danish (Swedish and Danish are quit simular to Norwegian).
Knows a bit French and Spanish, but thats only some phrases.
I always wanted to learn Norwegian. My great-grandparents were from Norway, but unfortunately the language wasn't carried down through the family. I think one of my uncles speaks a little bit of it.

Oooh, Maori sounds really cool.

I speak English as a first, Spanish as a learning second, and German as a learning third. But I want to master at least five by the time I die.

Monolingual here, though I did have two years of foreign language in junior high. In the states, it isn't necessarily an encouraged thing. I can read spanish very well, self-taught through reading the english side of the paper and then flipping to the back. Figured out conjugations and everything that way.:cool:

The only two languages I'm good at are English and my mother tongue. The others I only dabble in.

I speak English and Spanish, but the Spanish is not particularly fluent. However, my accent is so perfect that I can easily be mistaken for a native speaker, even by native speakers, if I can pull out the right phrase. Hence I'm especially familiar with such phrases as, "mas despacio, por favor," and, "como se dice..."

I always wanted to learn Norwegian. My great-grandparents were from Norway, but unfortunately the language wasn't carried down through the family. I think one of my uncles speaks a little bit of it.

Where are you from? Guess USA or Canada, since alot of Norwegians went over there in the begining of the 1900. I got relatives in Canada, because of that.

If you wanna learn some Norwegian I can help you out!

Jeg heter = My name is
Jeg bor i USA = I live in the USA.
Jeg elsker deg = I love you.
En, to, tre, fire, fem, seks, syv, åtte, ni, ti = one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten

There you go:p

Thanks so much! I'm from the USA. My great-grandmother immigrated here in the early 1900's and went to the Dakotas. I gather that the climate is similar to Norway; I've never been to either place. My grandfather was bilingual, but he didn't teach my father and uncle Norwegian. I believe my uncle learned it later, since he is a linguist. But I live more in the central part of America, because my father moved here due to his job. My mother is from this area and is German/Native American.

I actually have a lot of nationalities in my blood--Dutch, French, English, Irish--from other parts of the family, but I identify most with Norwegian because my surname is Norwegian, and it's the most interesting.

What languages do you speak?

I am bilingual English/French. I speak some German, a bit of dutch and a little Spanish.

I can speak up to standard grade French :D Of which i remember enough to survive a holiday in France, but not if i get stranded lol
I have always wanted to learn Scottish Gaelic. My mum is Irish and knows some Irish Gaelic, which is quite similar to the Scots.
Im part of the ignorant group that hopes people will be able to speak English whereever i go :D

Back