• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Why read books?

Why read books?

• Total voters
steffee said:
What do you mean by the 4th option?

Thanks Steffee, I can always count on you to respond to my threads.:D

The 4th option: "To appriciate other's literatures."

Some readers have very specific subjects they would read. Like the poetry, Shakespeare, this type of literatures. And they do not read anything else. Because they are afraid reading other books will corrupt their souls? ( Just kidding. )

I know some of my ladies friends are like that. (They are waiting the shining armors to rescue them.):D

I like to read in order to gain knowledge. This is probably why I enjoy nin-fiction so much as I feel I am actually learning something. Though now, I feel a bit behind as I spend so much time reading I barely watch the news anymore.

Ho hum. I like how it feels to read, to feel I have learned something, gained some new knowledge, or just been given the opportunity (through a book) to think in a new way and evaluate my own perceptions a bit.

Literary appreciation and time to kill apply to my fiction reading habits. To learn something new for the sake of doing so applies when I read non-fiction.:cool:

If I had to say anything, I'd say I read books to appreciate the literature. But also, growing up with no friends, I would not have survived without reading. I read faster and better than anyone else, and by first grade I had devoted my life to chapter books. I found early on that I could instantly put myself in another world where I could be whatever I wanted...early on, I'm not so sure I didn't believe that books were magic. That feeling I got when I was reading, where I was overwhelmed with wonder and excitement, is what I enjoy so much about it, so I'd have to say that is my long-winded answer.

My main reason for reading would be for enjoyment, I definitely learn things along the way but that is not usually my main motive.

Same here - I read for enjoyment. Occasionally to learn new things, when I pick up non-fiction, but that probably comes under enjoyment as well.

Me four. I read for enjoyment mostly, although I do read for knowledge as well as many books incorporate the two, such as Philippa Gregory's books (which are very good, by the way ;) )

I'm still not clear what you mean by appreciating others' literature. You mean, people who only read Shakespeare, for example, then you should read Shakespeare just to humour them. Or Dan Brown, I suppose, is a recent example, so one would read Dan Brown just to see why everyone dislikes his writing so much. Or reading something just because somebody else had... though I guess at school we are forced to read books to "appreciate others' literature" because they're set texts.

I read The Da Vinci Code because I got tired of seeing it at the top of every bestseller list in every bookshop I went into, so I bought it. I read it. I have nothing more to say. It wasn't a fantastic read, but then neither were most of the books I read last year. I hate Poetry because I don't understand it, and don't see the point of it really, so I couldn't care whether my mum, my best friend and even the Queen begun reading poetry and exclaiming how marvelous it is, I doubt I'd touch it. I like Shakespeare but mainly the histories, Henry V in particular, and I think the comedies are greatly over-rated. I like reading other playwrights though, e.g. David Hare, Henrik Ibsen, Willy Russell, Caryl Churchill and even Aphra Benn.

Anyway, I read mostly to learn things. Whether it's history, geography, scientific facts, interesting tidbits about certain occupations, mostly things concerning people though. People are so fascinating, and reading about them is also just fascinating. I suppose, then, you could say I enjoy learning about things, people in particular; why they do the things they do, what makes them happy, sad, angry etc...

I rarely put myself in the places or situations that the book is describing, but usually read it from an outsider's view, which I am, but I know some people can "suspend disbelief". I suppose that's why I don't read fantasy, science fiction etc, because there's enough interesting things to read about that are real, without delving into make-believe. I suppose that might change as I mature ;)

I can't remember any of the other options so I guess I should leave that there... sorry for the ramble.

and me... i read purely for entertainment these days, in the past i occasionaly read for information - the closest i come to that now is reading the odd historical...

I checked all of the boxes because I read for all those reasons and more. I read because reading is a part of me. My soul is wrapped up in books. I read for the warm glow the experience of a really good book will give me. It's hard to express in words... I tell people I read for enjoyment and I do but it's different than watching TV for enjoyment. It's a much more enriching experience, both in terms of knowledge and emotionally.

Does reading on trains classify as reading to kill time? I do that. Sometimes, if the book's good, I even opt for a stopping train! :eek:

i just enjoy reading, I don't watch TV really, I can bring my books everywhere with me and I love a good story :)

Growing up as an only child with divorced parents, I've always used reading as an escape. Now, it just makes me feel more peaceful and comforts me. I have stronger emotions about somethings in books than I do about other things in real life. If I go anywhere, nine times out of ten, I have a book with me. Books are just one of my neccessities. I love them.

I voted all of them.

And whenever I have a book in my hand, I will be instantly cut off from human world, I do not have to eat, drink, nor breathing.

Did I say breathing? :eek: That is a mistake. :D

Back