• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wilbur Smith

Darren

Has anyone read any of his books. "The Works" (UK bargain shop) is selling lots of hardbacks for £2.99 so I picked up a hardback copy of Monsoon.

Is this a good read? Do I need to read them in any particular order?

I LOVE Wilbur Smith! Most of his novels are not exactly thought-provoking, but they usually have political, racial and social messages that make you rethink your conceptions. What appeals to me the most is they're always filled with action and suspense. I've learned a lot about Africa and it's troubled history through Smith's books, as they're almost always set against the backdrop of actual events. I don't think I've read a Smith novel that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed

I like The Seventh Scroll, but thats the only one of his that i've read - it seemed a bit formulaic though, but enjoyable nonetheless :)

Phil

the seventh scroll was not one of the best. you should try Warlock or River God to start. then hit something like Monsoon. i have a special fondness for A Falcon Flies. i'm dying for Blue Horizon to come out in ppbk in May. Smith is the one who makes my book habit so pricy

I'm currently reading Blue Horizon now. It's starting out a little slow, but enjoyable non-the-less.

Monsoon had the best 25-30 page opening of any book I have ever read.

Also read Birds of Prey. Great read.

I enjoyed Blue Horizon very much. It was nice to get back to the pre-1900's novels by Smith after reading so many set in modern times.

I think Monsoon is my second favorite (after A Falcon Flies). I couldn't put it down, and I loved that it was so fat! Agree, too, Birds of Prey was excellent. I'd like to know what you think of Blue Horizon when you're done.

I do notice that Smith's storylines are usually the same for each book, but he manages to make each one a great read anyway.

I should be done with Blue Horizon in a week. It's taking me longer to read this one. Too many outside distractions. Just wanted you to know I have not forgotten this thread.

i have read, river god, and the seventh scroll, river god was great i loved it, the 7th scroll was ok, but nothing out of ordinary.
i have wild justice and hungry as the sea waiting to be read

The one novel I have read by him was River God, at request of my grandfather. I am afraid I found this book awful and I don't care to read any more Wilbur Smith any time soon.

Unfortunately, (or not, depending on how you look at it) I'm somewhat of a history buff and take, very seriously, the accuracy of historical fiction. You can't tell me there was a secret king of England in 1240 that noone knew about and pretended he was his cousin Henry III for 32 years for example; like one novel once tried to tell me. I believe in order to be considered historical fiction, the fiction must be used properly mixed with accurate history. If this is not the case, there's nothing historical about the story and all it is - is fiction.

Wilbur Smith's books are toted as historical fiction. River God for example was about an Egyptian slave who is the best doctor in the known world, oh, who is also the best athlete in the known world, oh, who is also one of the most beautiful people in the known world, oh, who is also one of the most knowledgeable people on exotic animal care and contemporary architecture and building engineering . . . a Slave is all this and more! If anyone wants to know what a slave did for their entire life in ancient Egypt, it amounts to not very much. A pyramid slave spent their entire life from when they were about 8-10 years old to their death at about 30, building a pyramid. Temples and palaces took years to build, sometimes generations, not mere weeks or even months! Slaves had to harvest food for the armies, and the multitude of people clinging to life along the Nile. None could write or read, and very few had a vocabulary of more than 30-40 words. Being a slave in ancient Egypt was a pathetic life. Yet, Wilbur Smith writes of lavishness, plentitude, beauty, love and eroticism.

I'm sure some of his other material is much better and more enjoyable but I found that this one novel has turned me off from him for awhile. I'd rather read real historical fiction by a Michener, Clavell or Rutherford.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Jazzman said:
Wilbur Smith's books are toted as historical fiction. River God for example was about an Egyptian slave who is the best doctor in the known world, oh, who is also the best athlete in the known world, oh, who is also one of the most beautiful people in the known world, oh, who is also one of the most knowledgeable people on exotic animal care and contemporary architecture and building engineering . . . a Slave is all this and more!

but that was the point of all this exagerations, to show that it was wrote by the slave himself, i mean, when i write my autobiography ill problably going to say one or two little (very little, almost nothing :rolleyes: ) white lies just to make me look better (just a little ;) ). of course i wont lie about how goodlooking i am ( after all its going to have some pics and readers will be able to see how handsome i im :D )

by the way it wasnt about him, its about the queen and her lover, and the invasion in general.

im not arguing about the historical accuracy but after all i didnt expect it to be when i got it

It is indeed correct that River God (and the entire Egyptian series) is not to be taken as a better example of Smith’s historical fiction novels; however, Taita (the slave) was not a pyramid slave but a house servant. And, as he was a eunuch, didn’t partake in the sexual escapades that his masters did. His life would have been much different than that of the pyramid builders. Additionally, there are new theories regarding the life of pyramid “slaves” that have come about from recent digs – but that’s a big can of worms and it’s too late in the night for me to open it.

Mr. Michel is right – there is reference in The Seventh Scroll to Taita being an exaggerator (Seventh Scroll is somewhat of a sequel to River God).

If you care to read some of Smith’s novels that are decent examples of historical fiction (from the perspective of the white South African) try the Courtney and Ballantyne series. The 19th century Courtney novels are especially good. Smith delves into many aspects of African history – from the Boer war to recent decades of racial conflict. His books (for the most part) are fascinating. I’ve read 15 of his books and only found perhaps 2 to be less than great.

Not too sure what bobby is saying . . .

Anyway, that's unfortunate that the sequel brings about how over exaggerated the story was. Though, had I known this while reading the book I don't think I would have kept going. I still found the situation to be almost farcical, and prodigiously unbelievable.

I know he was a house servant, and not a pyramid slave; that just being an identifiable example for people. The idea I was trying to argue was that a house servant could no more be the country's greatest mind than a pyramid builder could be the country's most physically fit person.

Jazzman said:
I know he was a house servant, and not a pyramid slave; that just being an identifiable example for people. The idea I was trying to argue was that a house servant could no more be the country's greatest mind than a pyramid builder could be the country's most physically fit person.

Indeed - but of course that must all be taken with a grain of salt, as it was he (and his ego) that asserted he was such a great mind.

Anyway, it's too bad that novel turned you off Smith. I agree with your grandad that many of his books are worth a read, although some parts are a bit like excerpts from Hustler! :)

Jazzman

Since you like historical accuracy, did you ever try Louis L'amout or Terry C. Johnston?

(Edited for spelling)

Hi Braddock, no I haven't read either of these authors let I am familiar with both of them.

I think you meant Louis L'amour who writes a good mix of fiction; anything from medieval to more contemporary work. The Kerbouchard novel The Walking Drum is supposed to be his most appealing novel yet I've read mixed reviews on it. What I gather is that his writing is more mainstream and is put in such a way as to entice a promising director to come along and buy the rights . . . I could be mistaken though.

Terry Johnston is most noted for his Plainsmen series which uses the Indian-American wars as a backdrop for novels which I've heard are quite excellent.

Beyond that I do not know anything more. I'd welcome any opinions as to whether what I've said is accurate or if either author has a hidden gem that stands beyond their more vogue material.

youre right
back on topic
hmmmm let me see, what to say, oh i know :)
acording to daily mail wilbur smith its probably the best storyteller of our times or was that archer :confused: , damn :( ... probably it was archer, after all he is, what do i say, i know :D
smith's novels are sweeettt :cool:

I've read every book that he's wrote and they are all class. He manages to wrap the history of south africa and the wildlife and tei it in with a bloody good yarn. First rate. :)

Yep Ive read all his books too and I think he's incredible. The plots are quite predictable and the characters are sometimes too black and white, but i really like the way he tells a story. Theres also a poetic flow in his action sequences which i find amazing, considering how most other authours prefer crisp descriptions for action scenes.

Also read all of his books,
For me the best part is the way he describes the scenery, i feel like i can actually see the sunset or "table mountain".
Fantastic, the only problem i have is finding an author that compares, i have already read all of Gemmells and not sure where to go next.

Something a little different: Umberto Eco's Baudolino while not to everyone's tastes features a journey across medieval Europe and Asia between real locations and events while at the same time travelling through the myths and legends of the same period.

Back