• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Will Harry Die? (spoilers)

Who do you think will die in the end?

• Total voters

ladyjune98

In another thread, someone asked whether Harry might die at the end of the series. Since it wasn't really related to the subject, I thought I'd open up a new one.

I think she could justifiably kill him off. I don't think she will, but she would be justified in doing so. Authors can do surprising things or things that readers don't necessarily want to see; they only have to justify themselves. For example, I don't think that Rowling would be justified in making anyone but Lily and James Harry's parents because of all the evidence she has given that they are his parents, which y'all have outlined above. Bad authors will give evidence of one thing and then do the opposite. J.K. Rowling is not a bad author.

So, what I'm getting at is that J.K. Rowling could be setting the stage for Harry's death. The prophecy about him and Voldemort was revealed in book five, which leaves it ambiguous which one of them will die.

What evidence do all of you see as to who will die at the end of the series--Harry or Voldemort?

:confused:

ladyjune

ladyjune98 said:
What evidence do all of you see as to who will die at the end of the series--Harry or Voldemort?

:confused:

ladyjune

Offff! Hard question. I really want to say that Harry lives. But, here is another alternative....... Maybe they both live ultimately, and Harry could join Voldermort. He seems just too dark in the fifth book. I know that many people wrote it off as just a 15 year old and his dark thoughts, but what if it was more than that?
Maybe when Harry and Voldermort's wands connected, Voldermort transfered some of his thoughts or just his mindset to Harry, making him so evil and dark throughout his seperation from the magical world in the beginning of the novel.

Wow I am really going out on the limbs today!

I am possibly the only one person on the world who thinks that Harry will die and Voldemort will live...but of course not as a winner. In OoP Dumbledore mentions that he can't understand that there are worse things than death- IMO it's evidence he will. Harry won't kill him but will deprive him of his power- and will die. Hints for that- words of Dumbledore about death as adventure, talk with Nick and Luna at the end of OoP.

What i think would be interesting is for Ron's jealousy of Harry to manifest to the extent he becomes a death eater & it is Ron who dies.

Beatrycze said:
I am possibly the only one person on the world who thinks that Harry will die and Voldemort will live...but of course not as a winner. In OoP Dumbledore mentions that he can't understand that there are worse things than death- IMO it's evidence he will. Harry won't kill him but will deprive him of his power- and will die. Hints for that- words of Dumbledore about death as adventure, talk with Nick and Luna at the end of OoP.

I think you are justified in thinking that per the evidence from the books you pointed out--I especially like the bit about Dumbledore. I agree that Harry could certainly die. I just wonder if Rowling is brave enough to do it. I think that she will certainly take Voldemort down from power somehow if he lives and Harry dies.

h_carnahan said:
Offff! Hard question. I really want to say that Harry lives. But, here is another alternative....... Maybe they both live ultimately, and Harry could join Voldermort. He seems just too dark in the fifth book. I know that many people wrote it off as just a 15 year old and his dark thoughts, but what if it was more than that?

I don't think that they can both live because of the prophecy in the fifth book--the one that says that either Harry or Voldemort must die. I don't think Harry would join Voldemort. He has already resisted well under great temptation. But even if he did for some reason, I still think one of them will have to die.

she wouldn't dare kill harry for fear of her own life if anything else. I would personally hunt her down

She woulden't kill him anyways because if she did then what would the book be called? If and when she ever does it will happen in the last book. I believe that they will both die because of some unforeseen circumstance that even Dumbledore did not know about.

I honestly think that Ginny might die in this book because last book there was a romantic interest arrising around the two, and it seems that everyone close to Harry seems to get hurt.

Joshua said:
I honestly think that Ginny might die in this book because last book there was a romantic interest arrising around the two, and it seems that everyone close to Harry seems to get hurt.

Even though Ginny has already had her near death experience in book 2? Interesting thought, but I don't think JK Rowling would be that predictable.

If not her then I really have no idea, other then Ron and Hermoine there isn't really any friends that he has that are real "Close" to him.

I dunno, it should be interesting. Only 79 more days to wait :)

I'm going with the crowd that says Voldy dies. Though I think Harry will probably be seriously injured at the end of the battle.

I also almost swayed to the fact that Dumbledore will meet his demise. He would definately sacrifice himself for the cause or even just for Harry. I don't want him to, because he is my favorite character. But he definately has the mind set for it.

As for Ginny dying, I don't see that all.
Interesting about Ron getting jealous and turning sides. I could see it. Though Ron oddly enough had it kinda good in the last book. Being on the team and everything. So he probably someone content right now. Though he has gotten very jealous of Harry in the past, but I think it's behind him. Especially because everything is getting more dangerous and he can see that now.

Now maybe one of the Weasely family will die. I can see that happening. Like Mr. or Mrs. Weasely.

:p Man I thought about this question wwaaay to much.

I see nothing romantic between Ginny and Harry- she stopped feeling for him, he was told that she fancied him and didn't react. She is dating other boys and he doesn't care.
I can't see Ron changing sides- he was always loyal to Harry, even when he was jealous. And now he knows that Harry's life is miserable.
And my death predictions for Book 6 are Dumbledore and George.

I don't know about Harry, but I'm pretty sure Voldemort will get killed. As to book six, I think either Dumbledore or Hagrid. I agree Dumbledore has the mindset to sacrifice himself for Harry. I think its likely he doesn't make it through all seven books.

If she kills off Mrs or Mr Weasley, I think I'd cry and burn the book....ok, maybe not burn the book, but I would be terribly upset. I love them both...and the twins. I also doubt she would kill only one twin, but you never know.

Hagrid is a good choice, it is someone that many people would mourn but at the same time he would not be an essential loss. Hermione, Ron and Harry would all be angry at his passing and not just Harry like with Sirrius. Sirrius was a good choice to die because he was an essential part of Harry's life but since he was still wanted, not an essential part of the order. Hagrid, has already served his order part by trying to convert giants and bringing back Gwamp, and is a good friend to them at Hogwarts. But at the same time I dont understand why he would pose as a threat to Voldermort enough for him to be picked out and killed, unless of course a death eater killed him for no reason at all.

Sirus didn't surprise me. He was close to Harry, but it was obvious he was taking too many risks.

I doubt that Voldemort would have anything personal against Hagrid, but Hagrid might get in his way. I also can see the death eater part....perhaps Lucius Malfoy.

Another possibility is Neville....I think it likely that his death has been foreshadowed, though that might be too overly obvious for Rowling. I'd still stick with my guess of Hagrid, but who knows with JKR.

I heard that Rowling said that Hagrid will be in all books.
As for twins- I think that killing one would be interesting from a literary standpoint. So far, they are treated as one inseparable entity- and it's IMO exaggerated. I think that George will die, as he seems to be in a way in Fred's shadow.

it's tough, but i think there are two sides. if she killed him, she wouldn't have to be pressured to write more books. if she leaves him alive, people will beg for more when she's sick of it. like sherlock holmes, the author had Holmes die because he was sick of writing it. but one of them has to die, and i can't see a generally happy ending book letting voldemort live.....unless he killed harry and then dumbledore killed him..... :confused:

Fistandantilus said:
but dumbledores a bad guy- read my dumbledore the bad guy thread!

I don't buy Dumbledore being a bad guy. See my comments in the bad guy thread.

I don't know who is going to die before the end of book seven, but I'd bet the farm that it isn't Harry. Either Harry or Voldemort will live while the other dies, and I can't see a happy ending for the series with Voldemort still kicking.

Back