• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Will tablets overtake e-readers?

We shall see but eInk is far superior to LCD and an eInk tablet would be a horrible, stupid idea.. Make a fast color eInk and then we'll talk.

Until tablets come with 2 screens, 1 LCD and 1 E-ink, then I may consider it.
I love the Kindle's screen. The words just fly into your mind as I read'em.

Pixel Qi

I think Pixel Qi technology, basically a screen that toggles in between LCD and E-ink, has a bright future. It came out recently on the Adam E-reader. Although it hasn't had much success, I think the technology has a great future.

Absolutely tablets will overtake dedicated ebook readers. There are already models that are quite affordable and does a whole lot more than just running ebook reader software.

Yes, e-ink is more comfortable for long term reading. But LCD or LED displays are not exactly frying your eyes either, so it's really just form factor, versatility and price.

Now this might sound like a stupid question, but I was surfing the site to find more information on Kindle. And stumbled upon this discussion. I am just getting introduced to the Kindle and was wondering what you mean by e-ink?

eink is the display technology used.

I think it's odd you have a Kindle related blog but don't know what eink is.

Actually, I have yet to start writing on this blog. I am currently trying to get to know the product better before I start writing.

I think in the end we will see plastic type wallets which can be bought as single or double pages, the plastic being the screen. With publisher consolidation we may end with super libraries (cloud based) specialized in particular segments, a bit like record companies. Each selling their own brand of wallet (and format). The real challenge for authors will surely be trying to keep their text in an open format, while being able to fully benefit from new technologies.

Technological innovations follow each other too fast. That is what I think.

Darn good observation, we might be seeing some innovations spilling out on top of each other in rapid succession. I'm just hoping my kindle is "good" for a few more years.:lol:

direstraits-I think you might be right as to your observations as well. I was able to get my hands on an iPad that some friends owned, and read a few news articles on that, I was very impressed with it.

Technological innovations follow each other too fast. That is what I think.

I agree. They're constantly pushing new products, but don't tell you what they do, or don't do. By the time you've done research and actually decide to buy something, it is passe and new products are out that you'd have to research, unless you are one of those who just buy "toys" for fun.

I'm delighted with the technology that gives me my laptop and cell phone. I don't need a electronic reader as I'm pretty much a homebody, and I have bookshelves to fill. If I'm every out of books, I can find something on the internet.

I am still have a 1st generation Kindle and use it all the time. I also have an iphone with the Kindle app, which is convenient when I find myself standing in line or having to wait somewhere when I don't have my kindle with me. But a good chunk of my day at work is spent looking at a computer screen and I spend a good deal of my free time on the internet. When I sit down to actually read I really don't need MORE time staring at an LCD screen. e-ink is just so easy on the eyes.

I also enjoy reading outside and I have yet to find an LCD screen that is as crystal clear in the sun as e-ink. And tablets are quite a bit heavier than my Kindle and their batteries don't last anywhere as long.

Now, all of that can certainly change with technology, and quite probably will with time. I think the competition between tablets and e-ink readers is a good thing and in the end the consumers will win.

Just bought an iPad and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. It appears to me, to be more of an "on the go" item. Typing on the darn thing is not as nice and easy as using a laptop. I do like a lot of the apps and there are a ton of them. I have started my "library" on it, though I have found that I really don't like having books on more than one platform. Don't know what it is, but that is just bugging me right now.

Just bought an iPad and I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. It appears to me, to be more of an "on the go" item. Typing on the darn thing is not as nice and easy as using a laptop. I do like a lot of the apps and there are a ton of them. I have started my "library" on it, though I have found that I really don't like having books on more than one platform. Don't know what it is, but that is just bugging me right now.

Yeah, I can see them being good especially for people who travel alot. When I travel I bring both my Kindle and my laptop. At home there is no disadvantage to having dedicated devices. But if I was flying a couple times a week I could see how an iPad might be the way to go.

Can't say it enough, I love digital reading and think a tablet is far more versatile and useful as a reading device than a dedicated piece of hardware like a Kindle. Kindle's do a great job for what they are, and the eInk display is definitely a bit nicer for long term reading, but I've been reading on LCD screens for a very long time now and find them to be just fine for reading even the longest of novels.

My personal opinion is that the Kindle, Nook, Sony eReader stand-alone devices and the like are a short-term solution and won't be around nearly as long as tablet-type multifunctional devices like the iPad, iPod Touch, Android tablets or smartphones.

Cheers!
Q

I've purchased a few books on my ipad2 and have used the apple bookstore to get them. I have to say that I'm not impressed at all with it and any strengths I saw in it before, I don't feel so strongly about now. I will keep the old kindle and use that instead. I'm also not impressed with the kindle cloud reader that I have as an app on the ipad. Tablets have a ways to go I'm afraid.

Back