• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

William Alexander: 52 Loaves

abecedarian

Subtitled, One Man's Relentless Pursuit of Truth, Meaning, and a Perfect Crust

Did you know bread can be funny? I thought I was the only one who couldn't get bread dough to slide off a peel with a simple flick of the wrist. Turns out, William Alexander can relate. In fact, his breadmaking journey mirrors mine in many ways. I haven't taken bread classes in Paris, toured bakeries in Morocco, or baked bread for 3 dozen French monks for a week, but I've certainly experienced many of the same sort of bread flops and mountain top experiences. This is not a recipe book, but he's got me staring at the ripening apples in my back yard and thinking seriously of trying to make my own levain after I dust off the kitchen scale and buy a yard of cheesecloth. I doubt I'll ever get to that French monastery, but I think I can bake a decent loaf or two for my family. Highly recommended.

Alexander has a website and blog to support this book, with a nice question and answer feature. I had a question this morning and he's already replied. So, he's minding the shop there. www.williamalexander.com

Sounds interesting.

Have you read Six Thousand Years of Bread: Its Holy and Unholy History by Heinrich E. Jacob? An ex-gf of mine who is a pastry chef called it the best book on bread she has ever read.

No, but I just saw this book in Alexander's Amazon store..looks like something I'd like. Alexander talked about the history of bread, but not much, only as it pertains to his own journey. I plan to investigate Six Thousand Years too.

Alexander and I have read many of the same books. He managed to get his own backyard Earth Oven...I'm still building the courage to suggest it to Mr. Abc:whistling::lol::whistling:

Back