• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wolves of the Calla 18CC HB BIN

hay82

I was just looking for Stephen King's Dark Tower series, but unfortunately they didn't have book one, where I usually by my books online. What I did find though, was book 5(?) Wolves of the Calla costing about 580£ (845 EUR / 1090 USD) and I was wondering why it should cost that much? I guess it has something to do with the 18CC HB BIN, that's attached to the title, but I have no idea what that means.

hay82 said:
I was just looking for Stephen King's Dark Tower series, but unfortunately they didn't have book one, where I usually by my books online. What I did find though, was book 5(?) Wolves of the Calla costing about 580£ (845 EUR / 1090 USD) and I was wondering why it should cost that much? I guess it has something to do with the 18CC HB BIN, that's attached to the title, but I have no idea what that means.
I strongly recommend that you read the books "in order". Start with book 1, then book 2 and so on. Have you tried Amazon UK for the books. Access the Amazon site and do a search for Stephen King.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/266239/ref=cs_nav_tab_b/202-3923549-8859062

There is a set of Dark Tower books that has many beautiful color illustrations throuhout the books. I would guess that in hardcover they would be more pricey than the non-illustrated version, so maybe what you found online was one of them.

Don't know what those #'s & letters mean-I think HB might stand for 'hard back'.

I'm about to start Book 4-Wizard and Glass. So far I liked the second one best, but its a great reading adventure. Hope you find them and enjoy them soon. (If you lived close by, I'd lend you the first 3! :D

They would have to be some really great illustrations if I were to pay that much for a book.

You are no further away than a brisk walk and a short swim :)

I bought Dark Tower 6 and 7 in hardback because I couldn't wait for the paperbacks, and they both have full-page glossy illustrations, yet they were only normal price (I paid around £14 for each). So I can't work out why the ones you saw are so expensive.

I agree HB would mean hardback. Could BIN be something to do with a limited edition numbering or something? (book identification number)?? As for 18CC, I haven't a clue. :confused:

I bought the first 4 recently in a boxset from Amazon US. Shipped to Australia, it still cost much less than I could get each book for here separately.

As for the series I am nearly halfway through Book 4 - Wizard & Glass, and I feel like skipping the next 100 pages (the previous 100 were so dull).

The first 2 books were really entertaining in their own way, the 3rd dragged until the last 200 pages (which was great BTW), and the 4th is going even slower. Sure it's an interesting world, but not having read Stephen King before (I just never thought I would like his style), I wish he would just tell the story. He really is a writer where you can skip whole sections because it's filler. Interesting to some but not me unfortunately. I now want top reach the end just to say I have done it, and then will probably never pick up another book by him again, which is a shame, but my tastes certainly extend more to a different style of writing.

I think I know I know what copies youir talking about as lorrekarlofftouches on, there are paperbacks that have been recently that come with illustrations (glossy) in them. Regarding the price, *shrugs*, I don't know, seems normal to me so I really can't comment.

Regarding these additions (which I have been picking up recently), thus far I have Wolves of the Calla and Song for Susannahwith by Bernie Wrightson, and Darrell Anderson. I think these additons are well worth the extra pennies personally.

I also compeletely agree that this series can absolutely not be read out of sequence. King himself says in the forward of the new additons that it's quite pointless.

If ever I spend £580 on a book, it's time to shoot me. No book is worth that kind of money.

Just wondered .. maybe 18cc Bin ... 18 carat as in gold... their best stock?
That copy wasn't a signed first or anything special was it?
I have seen a first edition copy of Wizard and the Glass going for $500 US on eBay.
Dark Tower series is highly collectable. But then, surely if it was that
valueable and not a mistake why was it not protected?

I don't think the cause would be First Edition status... I got a First Edition Song of Susannah for £10.

Oddly apt conversation, a character in Wolves of Calla is an obsessed bibliophile willing to pay any amount for rare books, lol.

Ah, I misread that, my apologies, my Pc is having severe display problems, I assumed a decimal, those certainly arent the eidtons I'm referring to at all.

580 £ seems normal to you.. How rich/mad are you

Although I have spent much, much more on some novels, I would certainly not pay anything near as much for these novel, I annot see how they could possibly be worth that much. even limited, and autographed those would be grossly overpriced.

have seen a first edition copy of Wizard and the Glass going for $500 US on eBay.

I have this novel, and if its the limited first edition signed by both King and the illustrator Dave Mckean, and is in new conditon that is a great price. There are only 1250 such copies . If it's not specific copy it's a bit over priced by a $100 or so. I have one already, but if he another limited one for $500 I may have to go look for it:)

nighthawk said:
Just wondered .. maybe 18cc Bin ... 18 carat as in gold... their best stock?
That copy wasn't a signed first or anything special was it?
I have seen a first edition copy of Wizard and the Glass going for $500 US on eBay.
valueable and not a mistake why was it not protected?
It would make sense if there was gold somewhere on it, but they didn't say anything about that. All it says is:

WOLVES OF THE CALLA 18CC HB BIN
by Stephen King

Pris: DKK 6.300,00 (850 £)
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton General Division
Published: 04-11-2003
Language: Engelsk
ISBN: 0340879742

Back