• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Women in History

Libra

I have a fascination with Elizabeth the 1st as you all can see from my avatar.

Here is a bit about her.

"Elizabeth I (7 September 1533 – 24 March 1603) was Queen of England and Queen of Ireland from 17 November 1558 until her death. Sometimes called The Virgin Queen, Gloriana or Good Queen Bess, Elizabeth was the fifth (or sixth if Lady Jane Grey is included) and last monarch of the Tudor dynasty. The daughter of Henry VIII, she was born a princess, but her mother, Anne Boleyn, was executed three years after her birth, and Elizabeth was declared illegitimate. Perhaps for that reason, her brother, Edward VI, cut her out of the succession. His will, however, was set aside, as it contravened the Third Succession Act of 1543, in which Elizabeth was named as successor provided that Mary I of England, Elizabeth's half-sister, should die without issue. In 1558, Elizabeth succeeded Mary, during whose reign she had been imprisoned for nearly a year on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_I_of_England

"that way before all the feminist movements these women not only held such power, but did such great things, made such changes in their times and countries."

Exacly my thought Ronny.

Elizabeth was pushed to marry but she reigned for over 40 years alone.

I loved the movie with Cate Blanchette' (even though some historical blunders), It showed I think exacly how tough she was.

The contrast between Elizabeth and her Cousin Mary are quite interesting as well. They had so much in common and yet their fates were so very different.
This will be an interesting read.

http://womenshistory.about.com/od/rulers/tp/powerful_rulers.htm(more books going on my list)

I loved the movie with Cate Blanchette' (even though some historical blunders), It showed I think exacly how tough she was.

That was one of my favorite movies did you see the second one, the Golden Age?

That was one of my favorite movies did you see the second one, the Golden Age?

Yes! lol I don't know how many times.

Eleanor of Aquitaine was also a remarkable woman. She is in Elizabeth Chadwick books.

Oh wow, I've been absolutely obsessed with Elizabeth I for years! Here I thought I was all alone. ^_^ I'll prolly just sound like a schoolkid bragging, but my ancesters were actually kinda close to her; back in the day. Sir Thomas Egerton was a member of her council.

I am glad I am not alone:D

Here is another great woman , who was also mentioned alot in Elizabeth Chadwicks books: The Greatest Knight
The Scarlett Lion

"Eleanor of Aquitaine (or Aliénor), Duchess of Aquitaine and Gascony and Countess of Poitou (1122[1]–1 April 1204) was one of the wealthiest and most powerful women in Europe during the High Middle Ages.

Eleanor was Queen consort of both France (to Louis VII) and England (to Henry II) in turn, and the mother of two kings of England, Richard I and John. She is well known for her participation in the Second Crusade...

Eleanor of Aquitaine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The miniseries with Helen Mirren as Elizabeth is excellent. I was all weepy at the end. The script, the acting, the costumes, the whole production is superb and I recommend getting hold of a copy if you haven't seen it already.

The miniseries with Helen Mirren as Elizabeth is excellent. I was all weepy at the end. The script, the acting, the costumes, the whole production is superb and I recommend getting hold of a copy if you haven't seen it already.

What a great actress she is.(Helen Mirren ) I have not seen the mini series with her but their is another one that keeps repeating but with another actress. I think it's British actors.

I will check this out for sure.

There is a book from Stirling Seagrave about the Empress. Should be an interesting read. Just ordered it.

Empress Dowager Cixi
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Empress Xiao Qin Xian
Empress of China

Reign As Concubine (elevated several times through the Xianfeng Emperor's reign) September, 1851 - August 22, 1861, As Empress Dowager until November 15, 1908
Born November 29, 1835(1835-11-29)
Died November 15, 1908 (aged 72)
Offspring The Tongzhi Emperor
Empress Dowager Cixi1 (Chinese: 慈禧太后; pinyin: Cíxǐ Tàihòu; Wade-Giles: Tz'u-Hsi T'ai-hou) (November 29, 1835 – November 15, 1908), popularly known in China as the West Dowager Empress (Chinese: 西太后), was from the Manchu Yehe Nara Clan. She was a powerful and charismatic figure who became the de facto ruler of the Manchu Qing Dynasty, ruling over China for 47 years from 1861 to her death in 1908.

Coming from an ordinary Manchu family and having been selected by the Xianfeng Emperor as a concubine, she exercised almost total control over the court under the nominal rule of her son the Tongzhi Emperor and her nephew the Guangxu Emperor, both of whom unsuccessfully attempted to rule in their own right. She was largely conservative during her rule and refused reform of the political system. Many historians considered her reign despotic, and attribute the fall of the Qing Dynasty, and therefore Imperial China, to Cixi's rule......

Empress Dowager Cixi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I read Imperial Woman when I was a teenager, and was fascinated by this amazing woman. Yes, she was ruthless, but had a good heart, at least if Pearl Buck's rendition is anywhere close to her true personality.

I read Imperial Woman when I was a teenager, and was fascinated by this amazing woman. Yes, she was ruthless, but had a good heart, at least if Pearl Buck's rendition is anywhere close to her true personality.

I did a search and they say Sterling Seagrave's has been the best researched. I could be wrong. I ordered it at my book store yesterday.

Dragon Lady: The Life and Legend of the Last Empress of China

I also read Margaret George's Cleopatra, a few years back and found her impressive in the book. I still have the Mary, Called Magdalene book by Margaret George on my TBR shelf, too.

I read a fiction called When we Were Gods about Ceopatra.It seems there is alot out there about her. I want something alse. I will be picking some more names from the list and trying something new.

Catherine II of Russia

Catherine II, called Catherine the Great (Russian: Екатерина II Великая, Yekaterina II Velikaya; 2 May [O.S. 21 April] 1729 – 17 November [O.S. 6 November] 1796) reigned as Empress of Russia for 34 years, from 9 July [O.S. 28 June] 1762 until her death. She exemplified the enlightened despot of her era.....

Catherine II of Russia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am sure that noone has heard of her unless they have studied Greek history (sleepy?). I have been to Spetses, where her house is .Here is some info of what she was all about.

Laskarina Bouboulina

"Against her, the unmanly were ashamed and the brave stepped back."

"Laskarina Bouboulina (Greek: Λασκαρίνα Μπουμπουλίνα) (May 11, 1771 - May 22, 1825) was a Greek heroine of the Greek War of Independence...

Laskarina Bouboulina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back