• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Women's Studies: what is its mission?

novella

While thinking about male/female differences, I kept coming back to the perception that women are the underdogs, which then led me to this topic:

What does “Women’s Studies” at the university level teach?

Is it the history of 51% of the world’s population?

Is it feminist theory applied to every aspect of life?

What is the value of a Women’s Studies major? In your opinion (and experience) do you think such a curriculum presents an accurate view?

Is there value in a Men’s Studies major?

Do you think categorizing some books as Women’s Literature makes sense? Like, is Virginia Woolf a Women's Lit writer, but is James Joyce not? Is her portrayal of women more valid than his?

What would you think of a guy majoring in Women’s Studies?

BTW, I’ve read that where this major exists, it is intentionally distinct from Gender Studies because Women’s Studies faculty do not want to “de-politicize” their area of “study” by hiding the “aggrieved party” status of women. Hmmm.

We don't have "Women's Studies" at my uni but I have heard of the major in the states. I cannot see how this can be a logical major. How do you apply it in society work-wise?

Geenh said:
We don't have "Women's Studies" at my uni but I have heard of the major in the states. I cannot see how this can be a logical major. How do you apply it in society work-wise?

I think it started in the States in the 70s, now is all over Canada and the UK too. I imagine French unis have something related in their philosophy depts.

I think it's one of those weird areas where you can treat is as a literature course, a philosophy course, a sociology course, or a psychology course, depending what exactly you read, but as for work, I would say you are on track to teach Women's Studies. It's a self-replicating organism.

Well, to be hoenst, I ALMOST majored in a self-replicating major - The Classics. I was talked out of it by one who must occasionally be obeyed.

What content is in the modules??

I dated a girl who was a women's studies major at michigan state, and she got me reading a lot of weird gender literature, like simone de beauvoir and judith butler. I thought the latter's approach was kind of interesting. that just by changing the way we look at something (like gender), we change its nature. that's also known as the heisenberg uncertainty principle, for those of you familiar with quantum theory. anyway, the problem I had with gender theory, in the end, was that the language the authors use tended to exclude the very people they were trying to represent. philosophers think that just because they can string a bunch of useless verbiage into a sentence that they deserve to conquer the universe.

Thanks for the billboard tagline there, bobster, but it really isn't necessary. I have a very select readership. They sneak in, read, and run away laughing. See, I can confront reality, doctor. It's proper fantasy that's elusive.

bobbyburns said:
I dated a girl who was a women's studies major at michigan state, and she got me reading a lot of weird gender literature, like simone de beauvoir and judith butler. I thought the latter's approach was kind of interesting. that just by changing the way we look at something (like gender), we change its nature. that's also known as the heisenberg uncertainty principle, for those of you familiar with quantum theory. anyway, the problem I had with gender theory, in the end, was that the language the authors use tended to exclude the very people they were trying to represent. philosophers think that just because they can string a bunch of useless verbiage into a sentence that they deserve to conquer the universe.

Is the Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle when it all blows up in your face?

As for your larger point, I think all sociological formulations are rife with generalizations and misperceptions, which is one of the reasons I'm so into the individual expression of experience. If there is any truth (in the sense of accurate representation of experience) in communication at all, it's located in primary sources, not in the high-falutin musings of rarefied academia.

bobbyburns said:
what do you mean by primary sources?

Things authored by or artifacts of the person with the primary experience. Letters, memoirs, novels, poetry, clothing, journals, notes, personal documents, autobiography. The poems of Sylvia Plath are a primary source on her experience, the commentary on her life written by a Plathetic at Swarthmore is not.

I'm tired of literary and cultural critique because it's never about the primary source, it's about the critic's mode of perception, experience, and prejudice.

Women's Studies, Gender Studies, Minority Studies . . . these curricula are not about the thing, they're about the way one reads the thing. At this point in my life, I just want the primary text, without a preponderance of pedantry.

Sorry, Geenh, Women's Studies does exist in Oz. I know they had it as a Department at Melbourne Uni. I never understood it either in truth (my campaign as an arts student lasted all of one term - writing essays about what a prof wants to hear was not my strong point). Apparently it's now called 'Gender Studies'.

"Gender studies (formerly women's studies) offers a unique opportunity from which to study a variety of topics and issues relating to gender and society. Gender studies addresses a range of issues that include gender, family and mothering; gender and sexuality; gender and colonialism; gender and identity; gender and nationalism; and Australian, Asian, and global feminisms."

Yeah... I still don't get it.

Kookamo0r - Hey, don't apologise!

Nope, I don't get it although the 'gender and colonialism' one sounds like a hoot! Kidding.

I'm not at Melbourne Uni, nor am I even in Victoria (and never plan on living there either) so I am not sure I'll ever bump into such a department.

I'm not sure I understand the value of a "Women's studies" program. But then, the closest I ever got was a feminist prof for Victorian Lit. Ever spent 4 weeks on a feminist reading of Dracula? Wowsers.

My lack of respect for "critical studies" was what kept me out of grad school. I never understood the need to preach to such a limited audience.

Here's a description of the introductory course for Women's Studies at UBC (University of British Columbia in Vancouver) -- my old alma mater.

An interdisciplinary exploration of the situation of women, both past and present. Theoretical analyses, research, and literary sources are used to broaden understanding of the determinants of women's experiences, with a focus on Canada. This interdisciplinary survey course will provide a critical introduction to conditions and circumstances that affect the lives of women. Investigated through theoretical analysis, research, history and literary sources will be: the extent to which gender and its intersection(s) with race, ethnicity, sexuality, social class, and/or disability, affects access to opportunity, power and resources in Canadian society; the impact of socialization, ideology, and institutions (e.g. media, medical, economic, political, legal, religious), on the lives of women; and the work done by women's groups and movements, historically and now, to end violence and discrimination against women and to bring about meaningful social change.
Covers a lot of ground, doesn't it?

What I was trying to get at in my original post was, is it a good thing to separate women out as a group to study, given that they are 51% of the world's population? It seems that it may be equally destructive as instructive to formalize this huge population that I am an involuntary member of as a group of victims who have been acted upon by the other 49%. IMO, every woman is complicit in her own fate.

Novella - Even women living in societies which allow and at times encourage abuse towards them? I, for one, am quite relieved to be a part of a society that allows me to become what I want within the context of the laws and mores.

I'm not sure how to answer your question in relation to "Woman's Studies". I understand the question but am unsure of how I feel.

"We don't have "Women's Studies" at my uni but I have heard of the major in the states. I cannot see how this can be a logical major. How do you apply it in society work-wise?"

As far as I can tell, it doesn't apply to work very well. I work for a pretty crappy company in a management position (crappy in the sense that we pay our employees poorly and work terrible hours). In my office we have no less than three women who've got majored in women's studies. They all have significantly more education than me, but because the degree doesn't really have any intrinsic value, they remain in entry level positions - in fact, I doubt we would even credit their degrees if we were looking at promoting more management from within - certainly not to the extent we would credit a two year management diploma from a college. This could just be my company, but for some reason, I highly doubt it.

Mind you, you could say the same thing for a lot of social science majors. If you're going to get one of these degrees, you'd better either have the temperment and ability to spend the rest of your life in acedemia or have something to fall back on.

As far as non work related value goes... it's not something I would consider too valuable (though I'm a guy and maybe a jackass about that), but I could again see how that could be said about a lot of the social sciences (and my own passion, media studies).

I think it depends on what you want to do. For management, I'd suggest that a major in Womens Studies wouldn't make a great splash, although from my experience having a degree gets a foot in the door faster than having no degree. People see a university education as a learning-how-to-learn experience. I think it is somewhat unfortunate that work experience is not valued in the same way.

Be that as it may, Womens Studies may still be a great background if you were seeking a career in development studies. Gender is a HUGE issue in land development and in improving the economy of many developing nations. I think it would be a really interesting background to have, if that was what you wanted to do.

It's easy to become jaded about this because in the West the 'feminist movement' seems to have taken a farcical turn as some women push the bounds of equality to wanting preferential treatment.

I know it's 51% of the population, and that in the West we have more or less equitable rights between the sexes. But the history of gender equity would be fascinating to learn about, as this has been far from the norm, even 30 years ago! And unfortunately there are many places where it still isn't. In fact, in some cultures the population of women is less than 50% because infant girls are put to death.

I think it's still an interesting area to study, and has it's place. Whether you want to make a career out of it is another thing. Just my 2¢!

Kookamoor said:
I think it depends on what you want to do. For management, I'd suggest that a major in Womens Studies wouldn't make a great splash, although from my experience having a degree gets a foot in the door faster than having no degree. People see a university education as a learning-how-to-learn experience. I think it is somewhat unfortunate that work experience is not valued in the same way.

Be that as it may, Womens Studies may still be a great background if you were seeking a career in development studies. Gender is a HUGE issue in land development and in improving the economy of many developing nations. I think it would be a really interesting background to have, if that was what you wanted to do.

It's easy to become jaded about this because in the West the 'feminist movement' seems to have taken a farcical turn as some women push the bounds of equality to wanting preferential treatment.

I know it's 51% of the population, and that in the West we have more or less equitable rights between the sexes. But the history of gender equity would be fascinating to learn about, as this has been far from the norm, even 30 years ago! And unfortunately there are many places where it still isn't. In fact, in some cultures the population of women is less than 50% because infant girls are put to death.

I think it's still an interesting area to study, and has it's place. Whether you want to make a career out of it is another thing. Just my 2¢!

I agree with what you say here, but isn't general sociology and economic development covering these issues too? To me, isolating "women" as an aggrieved party to be studied kind of misses the larger picture--you have to have the compliance and cooperation of the entire society to effect these kinds of changes. Talking about women without addressing the larger social, cultural, economic forces at work is pretty ineffective.

Also, I'm really put off by all the books out in the States now about how tough life is for well-off working mommies, well-off mommies who stay at home, working women who want to be mommies, etc. There's one all over the media right now. The assumptions it makes about the options, resources and income available to women are outrageous. Instead of calling it "Perfect Madness: Motherhood in the Age of Anxiety" it should be called "Perfect Madness: Rich White Mothers Complain A Lot."

Barbara Ehrenreich's "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America" puts those books to shame. Hers is a political manifesto based in hard reality, and it doesn't take a PhD feminist to see how all the gender inequalities play out for regular people.

novella said:
Also, I'm really put off by all the books out in the States now about how tough life is for well-off working mommies, well-off mommies who stay at home, working women who want to be mommies, etc. There's one all over the media right now. The assumptions it makes about the options, resources and income available to women are outrageous. Instead of calling it "Perfect Madness: Motherhood in the Age of Anxiety" it should be called "Perfect Madness: Rich White Mothers Complain A Lot."

Reminds me of a book I read for a sociology class several years ago, the McDonaldization of America. The author was bitching that no one eats at home anymore. My (female) professor asked, Would a woman have written this book? All the women in the class said, "NO" immediately, and all the guys looked confused.

Back