• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Womens Writing~

Rad

Women in fiction are portrayed by men as one of ‘utmost importance….as great as a man, and some think even greater’*.Though “fact and fiction are two different truths”
There is no harm in merging them together, especially is such a context.

In John Osborne’s play, Look Back in Anger, the protagonist- ‘the angry young man’, makes a remark about the virginity of people who have not suffered the experience of a loved ones death.
I take up the analogy of Virginity, and express it upon those people, who consider themselves readers(especially women) who have not read Virginia Woolf-
I therefore admit I too was one, and would have probably remained one- if it had not been forced upon me, to read one of her works as a piece of Literature in College.

Virginia Woolf, is no ordinary woman, and no ordinary writer either.
Im sure several people have read books which create impacts on them, leave them pondering over something, an issue or thought perhaps for a while.
I also imagine and understand for a fact that a writer and piece of Literature or any other art form for that matter-leaves people with different perceptions, as it is subjective in nature.

I also know however, that a piece of work can leave lasting impressions on their observers, not only in their conscious state but their sub conscious as well.
Virginia Woolf’s work- A Room of Ones Own, which is the piece I have currently been exposed to; has indeed gripped me.It has got me in its clasp like no other work or author/writer ever has before.
I honestly belive that if we have found, come across books or writers who have grasped our mind through their words; she takes over your soul completelty- and penetrates her way into the very essence of your being.

I perhaps out of innocent ignorance, always thought feminists to be women who put men down and raised the level of women and their importance.
And though this may not been entirely right or wrong- she made me understand a new meaning.

She doesn’t highlight upon the ‘evils’ of men as individuals, but upon the society that we live in and how we, as women are treated. This too she doesn’t lay down before us in black and white, but throws forth questions highlighted with a tinge of grey.

As I read in the introduction to my edition of the essay(I apologise, as I don’t know the author-) this book isn’t to be read with any pre-conceived notions about what the title may mean; because as you will find the essay will leave you not with answers; but more questions to answer.

I eyed this piece when you featured it on your blog. It is an interesting topic as I'm reminded of the victorian age perception of women. The notion that women are "greater" in that they are more "protected" when placed upon a pedestal is a contorted, yet effective argument for marginalization.

Back