• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Wooo-Hooo. New Robin Hobb Title announced

Sentinel

:D

Sorry, sometimes even I need to behave like a "fanboy".

June/July is the scheduled release Month for the new Robin Hobb Novel "Shaman's Crossing", first part of - again - a trilogy. This is NOT set in the world that was the basis for the Farseer, Liveship and Tawny Man trilogy.

Hey, I'd be worried if Book Forum members didn't get excited when they find out that one of their favorite authors has a new title coming out!

I think it's great that the new series is original and not linked in any way to the Farseer milieu. I'd like to see more Fantasy authors branch out from their established "franchise" series.

Well, I don't really mind either way. I've come to really like the Farseer/Liveship lands and I am positive there is still way for new exciting adventures. But I am also intrigued by the "new world". Here's hoping that the supposed length of 400 pages is a joke ;)

Oh yeah i heard about that. I hope i get into them as much as the Farseer, Tawny Man and Liveship books. They were fab but it will be good to get a different series from her.

Oooh, excellent! Having said that, I haven't read the Liveship Traders yet, so I've got that to look forward to anyway - I hate 'running out' of an author's works (though obviously there are those written as Megan Lindholm too), so that's always a nice situation to be in.

Thats cool!! :)

Heopfully this one will be just as informed and with as much depth as her last setting was. Will look forward to the paperback next year! :rolleyes:

Phil

That's the cover if anyone is interested:

Shaman%20small.JPG

fantasybookspot.com

Robin Hobb floated to the top of my fantasy list at this point, following a 2nd re-read of the original Farseer trilogy about 2 years ago...which I hated the ending of back in high school (I think I read it like sophomore year), but now that I am older, I find that I liked it more than most of any of the rest of my books.

Oh well, my taste in movies is different now too. :D

A new Robin Hobb book is good to see. I need to track down the stuff she wrote under her psuedonym and read it too.

I'm going to try and get her new series from the Library first, I've heard mixed reviews and fear it may be very detailed.

I've heard mixed reviews and fear it may be very detailed

Reviews from who? No reputable review site, or reviewer I am aware of has reviewed a ARC yet. If you could I'd love a link because I have only been able to read publisher summaries, I'd like to read them:)

IMHO the more detailed the better the book. Epic fantasy drastially needs more details, depth and characterization IMHO. I think I can think of only 5-6 current epic series that accomplish this right now.

Ainulindale said:

Reviews from who? No reputable review site, or reviewer I am aware of has reviewed a ARC yet. If you could I'd love a link because I have only been able to read publisher summaries, I'd like to read them:)

IMHO the more detailed the better the book. Epic fantasy drastially needs more details, depth and characterization IMHO. I think I can think of only 5-6 current epic series that accomplish this right now.

I dont agree that a book needs to be overly detailed to be good. I find lots of detail slows down a plot :(

I dont agree that a book needs to be overly detailed to be good. I find lots of detail slows down a plot

To schools of thougth I guess, I have never read a fantasy books that I felt had to many details. IMHO, perhaps around 10% have just enough, and the rest are severly lacking, which is why that although I hate it, the stigma associated with the fantasy and to a lesser extent Sci-fi is rather true, when speaking about majorities.

IMHO a good author is able to give details without loss in fludity of the reading. Current authors like Wolfe, Martin, Mieville, VanderMeer, Bakker Gaiman and others are great examples.

Robin Hobb

I loved all of Robin Hobb's books and have read them all- the ones she published under that name. They were great, and so I checked out the Megan Lindholm books, and to my dismay they were not nearly so engrossing. Perhaps it was the different characters who were not nearly as lovabe as the Fool and the Fitz, but after reading a couple, I read no more.

So I might not buy the new book- it's possible that it was just the three series she's done already that grasped my attention

Amber said:
I loved all of Robin Hobb's books and have read them all- the ones she published under that name. They were great, and so I checked out the Megan Lindholm books, and to my dismay they were not nearly so engrossing.
Now I was the opposite - I actually preferred what she wrote under Megan Lindholm :)

Has anyone read Shaman's Crossing then? Iv just finished A Feast for Crows (So good :D) and need another book. Worth it?

I nearly checked this out yesterday at the library. But it was a 2-week book, and I still wanted to finish Tigana, and have Broken April waiting, and who knows how many others on the way for the Olympic Challenge. I will get back to it though, as it looked very good. Gotta go, gotta read...

Back