• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Would you read self-published material? Research Help...

Guss44

Hi All,

I'm currently researching my MA thesis on Self-Publishing. I just wondered if you would be kind enough to fill in a VERY brief survey on the matter (link below).

I'm not just here for that, though, so would like to get this thread going on your perceived pros and cons of self-published work. Have you read any? What did you think? Can you recommend any really good SP authors?

The link to the survey is: Assessing Readers' Habits and Motivations

Your help would be greatly appreciated :)

I tend to read books on recommendation so the fact that a particular book is self-published will not necessarily put me off it, however if that book is also self-publicised I'll avoid it like the plague.

What I posted over on your poll was basically, no. While I'm sure there are decent self-published books out there, and there's certainly no shortage of awful books released by "proper" publishers, Sturgeon's Law (90% of everything is crap) still applies much more to self-published books than it does to anything that's gone through a proper editing process. I may be missing out on some good self-pubbers, but it's just not worth the hassle of digging through the vast quantities of crap in the hope of finding something that may be as good as something I could just pick at random in a bookshop. The fact that everyone can publish a novel these days doesn't mean that everyone should, just like not everyone who puts a video up on youtube automatically becomes Martin Scorsese.

Conscious Bob's is a good comment, too: if someone self-publishes a book and people who know what they're talking about like it, I might give it a whirl. If the only person claiming to like the book is the author hirself, then no way.

I can, do and have read self-published books on kindle, even self-publicised, call them what you will. Both fiction and non-fiction, one clunker out of about half a dozen, and one very nicely written romance included. But then again my standards must be regarded as notoriously low around here after my recent posts on 50 Shades so, Gus44, beware!

I have read two or three short stories by the same author which were self-published and enjoyed them all. I like his style of writing, nothing violent, good scenic descriptions and folksy without being irritating. :)

Reading is a time intensive venture, I don't want to waste time finding out if a self-pubbed book is going to "get going". Chances are it won't. I also feel like I have to make it clear - I have the utmost respect for the self-pubber out there who is working his or her ass off to write a good book. A talented and hard working writer will rise to the top just like a busker who has the right stuff. Unfortunately, many self-pubbers are simply deluded about their literary ability. Even their whining about poor reviews on Amazon is poorly written.

Actually, I am becoming more averse to self-pubbed questionnaires about my reading habits on this forum than I am to self-pubbed books on kindle. I have responded to one or two and it is rapidly getting old. I too share sentiments about the value of my time.

Just sayin'.

self publishing is much more respectable now... the last self-publish I read was The Shack and That was a book so worth it. I do agree time is precious and when a book - and that includes someone else's idea of best sellers - offends, bores, or whatever, after about 3 chapters - I put it aside. oh, occasionally I Have to read the end because there is enough there to make me curious how it all turns out. so frustrating to spend a good price on a book to find it disappointing, and try to avoid that

Thanks everyone!

Peder - Apologies for adding to your list of surveys. Rest assured it won't happen again :) and thanks for taking the time to reply anyway.

I think that it's a case of the majority damaging the minority. As MaryJo has said, there are books worth reading (although perhaps not Fifty Shades...)

For me, the problem is the attitude of some SP authors, who have become too defensive over the title (especially as they're now calling themselves indies, etc.)

Perhaps this is what causes some SP authors to overreact to negativity (or, as I've seen in one case, positivity. Go figure...)

Thanks everyone!

Peder - Apologies for adding to your list of surveys. Rest assured it won't happen again :) and thanks for taking the time to reply anyway.

I think that it's a case of the majority damaging the minority. As MaryJo has said, there are books worth reading (although perhaps not Fifty Shades...)

Thank you, Guss44, for your kind reply and not taking my post too much to heart.

I agree there are definitely ebooks worth reading and, as with tree books, the only way really to decide (or have an opinion) is to look at them -- 50 Shades included. So I look, at all sorts, and decide whether to read or not. I find it more fun than sticking to a particular genre or publishing method.

If a book looks interesting I get the free sample (or if it looks interesting and is free in general)
If the free sample is poorly written than chances are the entire book is going to get on my nerves.

This goes for both self pub's and traditional

free sample on books

Annie, that is a great way to get a good feeling for the book and not waste your time! I hate paying good money for some thing I am disappointed in, and
it does happen, esp. now that I belong to a book club and someone else recommends something I wouldn't pay for and/or read if it was just up to me.

Annie, that is a great way to get a good feeling for the book and not waste your time! I hate paying good money for some thing I am disappointed in, and
it does happen, esp. now that I belong to a book club and someone else recommends something I wouldn't pay for and/or read if it was just up to me.

Yeah, I really don't know how I ever bought books before the whole "download a free sample" thing! :lol:

Back