• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

WriterJohnB's books

WriterJohnB

My historical novel, set in and around the Great Dismal Swamp in the early 1800's, is the story of the life and times of Moses Grandy. Based on the 1843 narrative, The Life of Moses Grandy, it explores the cultural, religious and economic pressures allowing slavery to endure in a new country that has promised justice for all, yet permits states to practice slavery. It's available from most internet outlets, in Kindle, Nook and Print formats.

andrememberthatIamaman.JPG

Amazon.com: "...and Remember that I Am a Man.": The Life of Moses Grandy (Volume 1) (9781453653807): John Bushore: Books

Wolfwraith - Paranormal murder mystery

Why is someone - or something - killing campers and staff in remote False Cape State Park?

Autopsies reveal the victim's throats have been torn out by a large canine. Locals recall a colonial-times legend of a "wolfwraith."

New ranger Shadow Fletcher, a one-handed Native American, feels evil as he finds body after body, while park authorities try to cover everything up.

He becomes the main suspect, which dredges up old secrets, yet he manages to find romance in the the midst of an F.B.I. investigation.

Finally a clue: the hair of a long-dead wolf clutched in the fingers of his murdered best friend.

Shadow battles a raging hurricane to to confront the wolfwraith, save his new love and solve the mystery of the cover-up.

wolfwraith.jpg

E-book edition available at Damnation Books, Print and Kindle edition from Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Wolfwraith (9781615723461): John Bushore, Alison O'Byrne, Dawné Dominique: Books

awww.johnbushore.com_BookCoverImage.jpg

I've just re-published Friends in Dark Places (Sams Dot Publishing, 2006) with a new cover. The original publisher chose a cover that made it look like a Y/A or juvenile book and I think it hurt sales.

Brad Wilson returns to his hometown after 20 years for the funeral of his parents. When a young girl goes missing, he becomes the suspect because he had reported his little sister, Becky, taken by a "monster" when he was 14 years old. When Brad's girlfriend and her young daughter are taken, he's wanted "dead or alive." He must go into the deepest darkness of all to save mother and daughter and clear his name. Oh, and whatever happened to little Becky?

Available on Amazon, Kindle and Smashwords. http://www.amazon.com/Friends-Dark-Places-John-Bushore/dp/1461062047/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318620104&sr=1-5

Friends in Dark Places

I've just published a new edition of my first novel with a new cover. (Originally published by Sam's Dot Publishing, 2006)

Brad Wilson returns to his desert hometown for the funeral of his parents.

A young girl disappears and the sherrif remembers that Brad's 12-year-old sister, Becky, vanished twenty-some years ago and he blamed a "monster."

When his new girlfriend and her her daughter go missing, Brad becomes the suspect in a serial kidnap/murder case.

He must go into the deepest darkness of all to save his friends and clear his name.

Oh, by the way, whatever happened to little Becky?

Hope you'll take a look at it,

It's available as e-book from Smashwords and at Amazon, in print and kindle. http://www.amazon.com/Friends-Dark-Places-John-Bushore/dp/1461062047/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320346792&sr=1-4
Take care,

John

awww.johnbushore.com_bookcoverimage.jpg

A Great Book - FREE!

It's not the writer's birthday, but you can still help to fulfill his wishes.
Necessary Evil is a historical coming-of-age novel about an orphaned native, living on the tiny island of Tinian during World War II. He is afraid of his Japanese overlords, and he doesn't trust the Americans either.

Necessary Evil is now available at Amazon Books in print and Kindle. For next three days it's FREE! in Kindle format.

ajohnbushore.com_evil_cover.jpg

Bullets fly, bayonets slash, and flamethrowers incinerate enemies alive as American forces invade the Japanese held island. Tadtaotao, whose name means "he has no people" in Chamoru, survives the fierce battle, but his adoptive mother is horrifically killed. Tad is thrown into an internment camp. There, he uncovers a Japanese spy ring. He is freed and adopted by an American unit. His entire island is turned into an airfield so American bombers can firebomb Japanese cities. When a new, secretive squadron of B-29 Bombers arrives, Tad notices a few things that put him onto the biggest secret of World War II. He stows away on a secret mission to drop some sort of "gadget" on Japan and becomes witness to one of the most destructive acts in history.

As the war ends and the Americans are about to leave, Tad must figure out how to survive. He's the only native left alive on his island and he has no family or clan. And who will rule his precious island? The Japanese who committed attrocities against his people? The Americans who have opened up the gates of hell on humanity. He doesn't trust either one of them.

Okay, I'll 'fess up. I'm (aw shucks) the author. Do yourself (and me) a favor and download the free book. The reviews aren't in yet, but I'm convinced this is a hell of a good story and I'll think you'll enjoy it.

Good new review of one of my novels

awww.johnbushore.com_review_award.jpg

Got a great review at http://www.historicalnovelreview.com

…and Remember that I Am a Man – The Life of Moses Grandy by John Bushore is a superbly SHOWN story of a strong, humble being born as a Negro, and is an adept portrayal of his life from childhood until death.

According to the author’s notes at the end of the novel, this book was written with several purposes in mind…and after a great deal of research. I didn’t have to read his narrative to know the purposes because I realized them during the reading of his book. Although I’ve long known about slavery and professed no accountability for it, this was an eye-opening experience. Everyone of us is most likely a descendent of someone who owned slaves and treated human beings as property. I’ve always considered the attitude young blacks carry as the excessive baggage of their ancestry, but I have a much better understanding of the bitterness that has transcended time. Mr. Bushore made Moses Grandy my new friend, and I took his treatment and betrayals very personally.

As for the research, I thoroughly admire Mr. Bushore for doing his homework and knowing his subject so well. Talk about putting a reader in the character’s shoes…I walked as a slave through every page. I dripped with sweat at the back-breaking work, swatted bugs in the Dismal Swamp, and cried when my babies were sold.

The few writing issues that jumped out at my editorial eye were minimal considering the power of the story, the emotions and the reality of Mr. Bushore’s descriptions. This story is definitely a keeper…if not on a shelf, then in the back of your mind so that never again in this country will we so devalue the worth of others simply because of the color of their skin.

As a postscript to my review, the timing of reading about Moses was further enhanced by watching the TV program, “Who Do You Think You Are,” where three celebrities traced their roots back to slavery and were appalled at learning their own personal family history. I so wished I could have recommended they read Mr. Bushore’s novel. I missed that opportunity, but I can certainly make that suggestion to everyone who reads this. I’m definitely going to be looking for the companion novel, Boy In Chains which is a true story of the Great Dismal Swamp. Although listed as suitable for mid-grade students through young adults, I intend to share it with my grandson to help him learn there is no place for prejudice in his life.

Mr. Bushore is a three-time recipient of the James Award and two of his stories are included in a university course. He’s a multi-genre author, with dozens of stories and poems in both e-book and pring. You can view his website at http:Home and find his books listed for sale on htpp://monkeyjohnbookstore.homestead.com. Please treat yourself. I’m so thankful that I picked this book to review, and I thank Mr. Bushore for the opportunity to examine my own values.

Reviewed by Ginger Simpson
http://www.misging.blogspot.com

WriterJohnB, I've merged all your threads into just one. I've also changed its title so if you wish to choose another title for this thread, let me know and I'll change it.

Back