• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Writing that moves you

True@1stLight

I was reading through some of the quotes in the other thread, and it got me to thinking about particular instances in reading that have moved me. Not just been good, but actually made me stop in my tracks in awe at the serenity and beauty of the writing. Here is the first instance that came to mind. If you have the patience to read it, even without the context of the book maybe you can see what I mean. I apologize for any mispelling or incomplete sentences if I missed something, I typed this by hand out of my book.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
They were walking through the heather of the mountain meadow and Robert Jordan felt the brushing of the heather against his legs, felt the weight of his pistol in its holster against his thigh, felt the sun on his head, felt the breeze from the snow of the mountain peaks cool on his back and, in his hand, he felt the girl's hand firm and strong, the fingers locked in his. From it, from the palm of her hand against the palm of his, from their fingers locked together, and from her wrist across his wrist something came from her hand, her fingers and her wrist to his that was as fresh as the first light air that moving toward you over the sea barely wrinkles the glassy surface of a calm, as light as a feather moved across one's lip, or a leaf falling when there is no breeze; so light that it could be felt with the touch of their fingers alone, but that was so strengthened, so intensified, and made so urgent, so aching and so strong by the hard pressure of their fingers and the close presssed palm and wrist, that it was as though a current moved up his arm and filled his whole body with an aching hollowness of wanting. With the sun shining on her hair, twny as wheat, and on her gold-brown smooth-lovely face and on the curve of her throat he bent her head back and held her to him and kissed her. He felt her trembling as he kissed her and he held the length of her body tight to him and felt her breasts against his chest through the two khaki shirts, he felt them small and firm and he reached and undid the buttons on her shirt and bent and kissed her and she stood shivering, holding her head back, his arm behind her. Then she dropped her chin to his head and then he felt her hands holding his head and rocking it against her. He straightened and with his two arms around her held her so tightly that she was lifted off the ground, tight against him, and he felt her trembling and hten her lips were on his throat, and then he put her down and said, "Maria, oh, my Maria."
Then he said, "Where should we go?"
She did not say anything but slipped her hand inside of his shirt and he felt her undoing the shirt buttons and she said, "You, too. I want to kiss, too."
"No, little rabbit."
"Yes. Yes. Everything as you."
"Nay. That is an impossibility."
"Well, then. Oh, then. Oh, then. Oh."
Then there was the smell of heather crushed and the roughness of the bent stalks under her head and the sun bright on her closed eyes and all his life he would remember the curve of her throat with her head pushed back into the heather roots and her lips that moved smally and by themselves and the fluttering of the lashs on the eyes tight closed against the sun and against everything, and for her everything was red, orange, gold-red from the sun on the closed eyes, and it all was that color, all of it, the filling, the possessing, the having, all of that color, all in a blindness of that color. For himi t was a dark passage which led to nowhere, then to nowhere, then again to nowhere, once again to nowhere, always and forever to nowhere, heavy on the elbows in the earth to nowhere, dark, never any end to nowhere, hung on all time always to unkowing nowhere, this time and again for always to nowhere, now not to be borne once again always and to nowhere, now beyond all bearing up, up, up and into nowhere, suddenly, scaldingly, holdingly all nowhere gone and time absolutely still and they were both there, time having stopped and he felt the earth move out and away from under them.
Then he was lying on his side, his head deep in the heather, smelling it and the smell of the roots and the earth and the sun came through it and it was scratchy on his bare shoulders and along his flanks and the girl was lying opposite him with her eyes still shut and then she opened them and smiled at him and he said very tiredly and from a great but friendly distance, "Hello, rabbit." And she smiled and from no distance said, "Hello, my Ingles."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter Thirteen
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Ernest Hemingway

True@1stLight said:
I was reading through some of the quotes in the other thread, and it got me to thinking about particular instances in reading that have moved me. Not just been good, but actually made me stop in my tracks in awe at the serenity and beauty of the writing. Here is the first instance that came to mind. If you have the patience to read it, even without the context of the book maybe you can see what I mean. I apologize for any mispelling or incomplete sentences if I missed something, I typed this by hand out of my book.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
They were walking through the heather of the mountain meadow and Robert Jordan felt the brushing of the heather against his legs, felt the weight of his pistol in its holster against his thigh, felt the sun on his head, felt the breeze from the snow of the mountain peaks cool on his back and, in his hand, he felt the girl's hand firm and strong, the fingers locked in his. From it, from the palm of her hand against the palm of his, from their fingers locked together, and from her wrist across his wrist something came from her hand, her fingers and her wrist to his that was as fresh as the first light air that moving toward you over the sea barely wrinkles the glassy surface of a calm, as light as a feather moved across one's lip, or a leaf falling when there is no breeze; so light that it could be felt with the touch of their fingers alone, but that was so strengthened, so intensified, and made so urgent, so aching and so strong by the hard pressure of their fingers and the close presssed palm and wrist, that it was as though a current moved up his arm and filled his whole body with an aching hollowness of wanting. With the sun shining on her hair, twny as wheat, and on her gold-brown smooth-lovely face and on the curve of her throat he bent her head back and held her to him and kissed her. He felt her trembling as he kissed her and he held the length of her body tight to him and felt her breasts against his chest through the two khaki shirts, he felt them small and firm and he reached and undid the buttons on her shirt and bent and kissed her and she stood shivering, holding her head back, his arm behind her. Then she dropped her chin to his head and then he felt her hands holding his head and rocking it against her. He straightened and with his two arms around her held her so tightly that she was lifted off the ground, tight against him, and he felt her trembling and hten her lips were on his throat, and then he put her down and said, "Maria, oh, my Maria."
Then he said, "Where should we go?"
She did not say anything but slipped her hand inside of his shirt and he felt her undoing the shirt buttons and she said, "You, too. I want to kiss, too."
"No, little rabbit."
"Yes. Yes. Everything as you."
"Nay. That is an impossibility."
"Well, then. Oh, then. Oh, then. Oh."
Then there was the smell of heather crushed and the roughness of the bent stalks under her head and the sun bright on her closed eyes and all his life he would remember the curve of her throat with her head pushed back into the heather roots and her lips that moved smally and by themselves and the fluttering of the lashs on the eyes tight closed against the sun and against everything, and for her everything was red, orange, gold-red from the sun on the closed eyes, and it all was that color, all of it, the filling, the possessing, the having, all of that color, all in a blindness of that color. For himi t was a dark passage which led to nowhere, then to nowhere, then again to nowhere, once again to nowhere, always and forever to nowhere, heavy on the elbows in the earth to nowhere, dark, never any end to nowhere, hung on all time always to unkowing nowhere, this time and again for always to nowhere, now not to be borne once again always and to nowhere, now beyond all bearing up, up, up and into nowhere, suddenly, scaldingly, holdingly all nowhere gone and time absolutely still and they were both there, time having stopped and he felt the earth move out and away from under them.
Then he was lying on his side, his head deep in the heather, smelling it and the smell of the roots and the earth and the sun came through it and it was scratchy on his bare shoulders and along his flanks and the girl was lying opposite him with her eyes still shut and then she opened them and smiled at him and he said very tiredly and from a great but friendly distance, "Hello, rabbit." And she smiled and from no distance said, "Hello, my Ingles."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter Thirteen
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Ernest Hemingway

YES!!!! YES!!! I love that! It's one the best things written. Ever. And it's the best description of love that I have ever read. So much passion and so beautiful. I have read it over many times :) Anyway, I really love Hemingway!

He lived really well. Had a love and passion for life that shines though his art. You can tell he really loved that way or he would never have been able to write that way. Great stuff :)

As for other stuff that has moved me, well, there are so many!!!

SillyWabbit said:
YES!!!! YES!!! I love that! It's one the best things written. Ever. And it's the best description of love that I have ever read. So much passion and so beautiful. I have read it over many times :) Anyway, I really love Hemingway!

He lived really well. Had a love and passion for life that shines though his art. You can tell he really loved that way or he would never have been able to write that way. Great stuff :)

As for other stuff that has moved me, well, there are so many!!!

:) Good to see that someone else was able to enjoy it as much as me! I'd be happy to read or find one that you recommend rabbit. Especially if it could compare to this.

Give me time. I will have to look though my books on the weekend to find something that good. Maybe by Marquez :) Hemingway and Marquez are the two great writers for me.

Don't mind joking around a bit, but lets plz not turn this topic into a 1 line ramblefest, I'd actually like people's participation in this one if they can relate. Just add the joke at the end of your real post :) .

The final paragraph of "The Grapes of Wrath," in which Rose, her baby newly-dead (or did it miscarry? I can't remember), breast-feeds the old, starving man, giving him new life even from death. It's a brutal, yet moving passage, and illustrates perfectly the human will to survive even through all adversity, and provides a curiously optimistic note to finish a book of such dreadful content. The last line: "She looked up and across the barn, and her lips came together and smiled mysteriously." The very essence of that quixotic, yet instinctive, desire.

True@1stLight said:
I was reading through some of the quotes in the other thread, and it got me to thinking about particular instances in reading that have moved me. Not just been good, but actually made me stop in my tracks in awe at the serenity and beauty of the writing. Here is the first instance that came to mind.

Writing that moves me.... :rolleyes: I always remembered a detail in For whom the bell toll, which was about that the 'rabbit' got his leg wounded after exploded the bridge, (am i right here?), and he asked the girl to leave without him, to go on living for him, for both of them. That is really really touching.

Another writing occurs to me at the moment is the color purple . Every word, every line, every chapter, have something touching in them. will find the exact part later. :)

another: in War and Peace, when Andrew was badly wounded in the battle, he was thinking that how little a person could be, even Nappollen--(spelling, will correct it :eek: ) that kind of stuff....

and still another part, that when he was dying, but fortunately met Natasha and was taken care by Natasha, and they understood each other's love so dammed well (sorry for the curse thing :) ). That speechless and invisible love makes both of them glow in the war time.

watercrystal said:
another: in War and Peace, when Andrew was badly wounded in the battle, he was thinking that how little a person could be, even Nappollen--(spelling, will correct it :eek: ) that kind of stuff....

and still another part, that when he was dying, but fortunately met Natasha and was taken care by Natasha, and they understood each other's love so dammed well (sorry for the curse thing :) ). That speechless and invisible love makes both of them glow in the war time.

Maria was the one referred to as rabbit, but Robert did break his leg.

And Andrey rules if it weren't for that slut they would have been unbelievably happy :)

The writing that moves me is generally very strong, beautiful visual imagery. The poems of Seamus Heaney, The English Patient, for some reason I've never been in the mood to finishCold Mountain but the opening pages are stunning in their detail.

Ashlea said:
for some reason I've never been in the mood to finishCold Mountain but the opening pages are stunning in their detail.

I know there's another thread around here somewhere for the movie. Have you seen the film though?

I've read the book but not seen the movie and was just wondering how it differs.

RaVeN

Back