• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

You know you're addicted to reading when...

manatherindrell

You buy your winter coat for the size of the inside pocket.

When asked what your hobbies are you say "I don't have any hobbies, reading takes up too much time."

You have read the Wheel of Time series more than twice.

When you do a report for school you get sidetracked reading the encyclopedia.

When caught without a book you read the ingrediants list on your twinkie.

You know that if you work it right you can fit an average size paperback novel in your pants pocket.

You have maxed out your library card.

manatherindrell, some of those sure do look familiar :D

and i'll add.....

When you have a book stashed in every room in your house including the bathroom.

When you make so many trips to the bookstore that the guy behind the counter thinks you have a crush on him.

When you take a 5 minute break from cooking xmas dinner so that you can finish reading a chapter.

When everytime you're going away for the weekend you pack more books than clothes

When you read your baby nephews entire 'learning to read' collection before he's even old enough to start :eek:

When your local librarian starts to point out which books you haven't yet read.

Gem said:
When you have a book stashed in every room in your house including the bathroom.

:D And are reading at least three of them! Plus of course the Ellery Queen magazines stashed in said bathroom.:eek:

Gem said:
When everytime you're going away for the weekend you pack more books than clothes

The wife and I are getting away to Kansas City for three days.
Three changes of clothes
Four books with the intent of buying more there.

Guilty as charged

When You're reading at a time when you're supposed to be working! (horrified gasp!)
When you're buying waaaaay more than you can possibly finish!
When you're *debating* with yourself which book you wanna read next while browsing through your library.

ds

If your heart race accelerates upon closing in on a library or book store.

If you spend more than an hour shopping for books......when you are broke.

If you read in front of others because you just have to finish the book.

If you have books in every room of your home.....including the bathroom.

You buy bookshelves at Wal-Mart on a regular basis & the clerk knows you by name.

If your first response to being asked about any movie is: "No, I haven't seen it, but I've read the book."

The prospect of getting rid of any of your books depresses you.

I believe I have found my missing extended family right here amongst all you fellow addicts. All these lists of symptoms fit my profile so well. At the moment, I'm in the market for a purse that looks cool, but will hold at least one book in progress, a small notebook, a vast array of pens, a datebook, and oh yeah, my billfold..

Another sign one might be addicted to books: when a mere bookbag is not enough for an average library trip..and you buy one of those milkcrates on wheels, with long handle..THEN you might need a 12-Step program..:D
(this from someone who once longed for a wheel barrow for those library trips)

I believe I have found my missing extended family right here amongst all you fellow addicts.

Me too, I love you guys.:eek:

Heck, I PM folks here more than I keep in contact in any form with some relatives.:D

When you will refuse to answer to phone because you are right at the climax of the book.

When your hubby starts to refuse to take you to movies where you've read the book already.

When the only hurricane supplies you can think of getting are a bottle of water, a flashlight, and a book.

When someone mentions a book and suddenly your ears perk up and you are far more excited about this conversation than before.

When you see a perfect stranger reading a book in a public place, and you make a fool out of yourself trying to see what it is. :eek:

(I just know that I'm going to get myself arrested someday.)

:rolleyes:

StillILearn said:
When you see a perfect stranger reading a book in a public place, and you make a fool out of yourself trying to see what it is. :eek:

OMG!, I do that too!.:eek: :eek:

StillILearn said:

Ha! Just this afternoon at the eye doctor's office..I noticed three people with books and I had to force myself to stop from asking each of them what they were reading, and would they recommend those books!

Even though it's hard to read by the light of a campfire you still think it's worth it.

You have read by the light from your digital watch.

You have read by the light from the full moon.

You know how to read in the shower without getting the book wet.

You take baths now instead of showers so you can sit down while reading.

You know the best method to keep the pages in your book from wrinkling after you drop it in the bath.

When you're looking for a new house your first thoughts are "Where will I put the bookshelves?" and "How close is the nearest library or book store?"

When someone talks about an important part of a book you haven't read, but is on you "to-be-read" list you run out of the room screaming.

:eek:

StillILearn said:
Oh yeah, I do this too. :D In bookstores, I try to make out the titles of books other patrons have under their arms, and I fight a constant urge to tell them "Go to http://www.thebookforum.com!" (complete with the http protocol).

:D

ds

Gem said:
manatherindrell, some of those sure do look familiar :D

When you make so many trips to the bookstore that the guy behind the counter thinks you have a crush on him.

Unless you're me and actually DO have a crush on the guy at the book store. Haha.

Yup. Gotta know what book a stranger is reading.
I once saw a lady on a train reading one of my favourite books so I went up to her and said 'Best book ever! Where are you up to?' So looked at me, blinked, and turned straight back to her book. Quite rude, actually.

I love this post!!

Lani

Back