• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

You know you're reading a long book when...

I've read entire books shorter than that epilogue!

You say again - you've read it before?

Cheers, Martin

Martin said:
I've read entire books shorter than that epilogue!

You say again - you've read it before?

Cheers, Martin
Oh god no. I couldn't get through this thing more than once! I said again, as in, yep, I'm talking about W & P once again, since that's the ONLY book I've been reading for the past four weeks. :eek:

I admire you for sticking with it so long! Aren't you tempted to just live without the knowledge of what the epilogue holds? I think I would be...

I've got it on my 'to read' pile. Length doesn't bother me (wey hey) but readability does. How much did you read and much did you skim and how much did you wish it was already over?

Freya said:
Aren't you tempted to just live without the knowledge of what the epilogue holds?
YES! But it did hooke me enough that I have to know what happens to four of the characters, so I will read it -- and god help me if I don't get the answers I'm looking for.

mr_michel said:
would you recomend it? so, can you remember how it begins?
If you like literature about the psychology of war -- ALOT, then yes, I would recommend this. If not, you're probably going to struggle with this like I did. I thought that would be attractive to me, but it was too much of Tolstoy's analysis and too little story.

And yes, I can remember how it begins. ;)

Litany said:
Length doesn't bother me (wey hey) but readability does. How much did you read and much did you skim and how much did you wish it was already over?
I stuck with it and read everything. Granted, there were pages where if you had quizzed me the next day I might not be able to tell you what I'd read, but I did read it.

And length doesn't bother me either. If the whole story had been about the "peace" side of things, or even just stayed focused on the characters and didn't wander off into all of that war analysis, I would have gobbled it up and would begging for more -- the STORY is very, very good. The other 600 pages leave something to be desired. LOL

Litany said:
Length doesn't bother me (wey hey)

Nor should it when you've had as many tourists to your Grand Canyon as you've had, you bottomless wench. :p

Quick,stay on topic. My thoughts on War & Peace...uhm,... uhm, I'm all in favor of at least one of them.

RaVeN

So, RaVeN, when are you leaving?

FingerRoll.gif

Cheers, Martin

Time for a party! I'm DONE!!!!! :D

Would I recommend it? Yes, but skip over Tolstoy's running commentary. You won't miss a thing. Excellent story, and wonderful characters. :)

I envy you. I still have it in the tbr pile.

Tell me something that will make me want to read it. Some small, incredible detail.

Ashlea said:
I envy you. I still have it in the tbr pile.

Tell me something that will make me want to read it. Some small, incredible detail.

Okay, not only does Tolstoy analyze the war to no end (which is NOT the incredible part LOL), but he also analyzes the characters in the story (during the story sections - so it's still okay to skip the war BS if you want). Anyway, the analyzing he does with the characters is really intriguing. I read a couple of pages towards the end of the book that just had my jaw on the floor -- I really felt he was ahead of his time in terms of understanding peoples actions and reactions.

Back