• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

young adult(?) fiction with animals

pchefinski

Hi there. I'm desperately looking for a collection (or part of it even) of novels about the lives of animals. My husband's favorite novels when he was growing up were by a man named (and I'm going by phonetics here..) Jim [or James] Shellgard. He said something about the guy being Finnish or something, so positive that I have the last name spelled wrong. Anyway, they were most likely young adult novels (he was reading at a high school graduate level at the time he read these) about the lives of animals. There was no dialogue in the books and there was one he can remember about a dog that escaped from being killed and grew up in the wild, leading a pack of other wild dogs. He said there were a bunch of them, but I can't find any of them online at all, no matter how many different ways I spell the author's name or search for the subject matter. Does anyone know the books I'm speaking of? I really would love to get some or all of the collection for my husband for Christmas. Thanks :) I appreciate your help!
God bless,
Amanda

Jim Kjelgaard, maybe?

He wrote lots of books about dogs, hunting, fishing, survival, and outdoor life. His most famous books are "Big Red" (about an Irish Setter show dog turned hunting dog), "Forest Patrol" (about a Pennsylvania forest ranger), and "Lion Hound" (about an Arizona lion-tracking dog).

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! THAT'S IT! Thank you thank you thank you!! I can't wait to see the smile on his face when he opens his Christmas presents.. :D

Back