• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Young man goes hiking in Arizona desert? Travels through wormhole into future.

Leopoldo

Hi, I am trying to remember the name of a book I read in the 90s. Could have been written in the 90s though not sure if it was written before.

I was in middle school, so I think the book was intended for 10-14 year olds. I do remember the cover of the book was mostly red and it had a picture of cliffs and plateaus like in a desert and a ray of light concentrated in a circle going up to the sky (think of an alien ship about to teleport someone up into their ship like in movies).

DETAILS:
The main character loves hiking. I think he is visiting one of his parents in Arizona, maybe an aunt or an uncle.

He accidentally travels through a wormhole although he doesn't realize it immediately.

He is captured by a tribe of indians. If I remember correctly, they look like humans, although their faces look a little different.

The tribe he is with is attacked? Or maybe he is traded to another tribe. In this other tribe, he eventually falls in love with a girl (perhaps the chief's daughter). During this time, he goes from being completely worthless to the tribe to being a man of power. The members of the tribe look up to him and respect him.

****He finds a coca cola bottle, which makes him realize he has travelled into the future, not into the past or into a different world as he had thought. He continues to find trash from his world, and he makes a theory that the people from this world have evolved from his world.

Eventually, he goes through another wormhole and gets back to his world/his time. I think he did this again accidentally when he was hunting?

****The book fast forwards to when the main character gets older. There is a major epidemic going on in the world. Scientists have no cure, but the main character is looking for one. He must have become a scientist and knowing the epidemic wipes out humans and causes us to evolve into what he had seen, he searches for a cure.

That's what I remember. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I am trying to remember the name of a book I read in the 90s. Could have been written in the 90s though not sure if it was written before.

I was in middle school, so I think the book was intended for 10-14 year olds. I do remember the cover of the book was mostly red and it had a picture of cliffs and plateaus like in a desert and a ray of light concentrated in a circle going up to the sky (think of an alien ship about to teleport someone up into their ship like in movies).

DETAILS:
The main character loves hiking. I think he is visiting one of his parents in Arizona, maybe an aunt or an uncle.

He accidentally travels through a wormhole although he doesn't realize it immediately.

He is captured by a tribe of indians. If I remember correctly, they look like humans, although their faces look a little different.

The tribe he is with is attacked? Or maybe he is traded to another tribe. In this other tribe, he eventually falls in love with a girl (perhaps the chief's daughter). During this time, he goes from being completely worthless to the tribe to being a man of power. The members of the tribe look up to him and respect him.

****He finds a coca cola bottle, which makes him realize he has travelled into the future, not into the past or into a different world as he had thought. He continues to find trash from his world, and he makes a theory that the people from this world have evolved from his world.

Eventually, he goes through another wormhole and gets back to his world/his time. I think he did this again accidentally when he was hunting?

****The book fast forwards to when the main character gets older. There is a major epidemic going on in the world. Scientists have no cure, but the main character is looking for one. He must have become a scientist and knowing the epidemic wipes out humans and causes us to evolve into what he had seen, he searches for a cure.

That's what I remember. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The transall saga

A book with strangely similar plot structure, but different, might also interest you:

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller​

Back