• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your carbon footprint

SFG75

You can use the calculator tp see your carbon "footprint." I plan on doing this and then take some practical steps to see how far I can take this. I also purchased The Green Book on Amazon.

Who knows?, maybe we can have a "biggest loser" carbon footprint support group of sorts.:D

That's pretty clever.ive been into earth first and animal rights for a longg time so i love to see stuff like this..:D

I think we are all being conned a bit with global warming and carbon footprints.

You will get those who are all for it and recycle every carrier bag and happily pay their 10p for a new one when they forget to carry the old one with them.

Others just don't care and will carry on as usual.

And the third group and worst of all are the one's that preach to others how important it is to save the planet while driving gas guzzlers and taking holidays and business trips abroad each year, by plane. And eating stake. :)

I wonder how the hell I ended up with a bigger carbon footprint than the average American when I recycle, eat organic, buy local produce were possible, bike, and do other green crap.

Their calculator must be broken.

"Total footprint = 5,923 tonnes of CO2"

I recycle and do all the other stuff... don't drive, use little electricity apart from my PC (and obviously lights, and fridge), but I do fly far too much - and I hate it more than they do, trust me. I use too much gas, because I am always freezing and my heating is on all the time... but I feel guilty, does that count?

So my footprint is almost half of typical people in my country.

As with Steffee – the average UK footprint is, apparently, 9.8 tonnes. Mine is about 5.627. I don't drive or ride a motorcycle. I do fly – it'll probably be twice this year, to Barcelona in August for my main holiday and to Glasgow for a wedding in late September, because I am absolutely not spending most of a day on a train just to get there and another to get back. Other breaks, though, will be by train (Paris is just over two hours away, thank goodness :D).

We've bought new white goods in the last few years, after having our previous washing machine, fridge-freezer and oven for about 12 years. We've bought new and looked in detail at the environmental factors when deciding on what to choose. Our electricity bills are quite low, at around £450 per annum and we have no our power sources.

Recycling makes so much sense – not just from an environmental perspective, but because of landfill issues and also simply because I can't see waste as a good thing. We have a crate from the council that they come around and empty weekly. I put card and paper in there, plus cans and bottles/jars (all washed out). The only plastic they currently take is plastic milk bottles. They also take old clothes and sheets, towels etc, if you bag them up. Unfortunately, because we live in flats, they won't give us another box for our compostible waste: people in houses get those too.

I have no problem with the plastic bag issue – again, it's such a ridiculous waste. In terms of food, I mostly buy seasonal food – partly because flying asparagus from Peru to the UK is ridiculous (although not as crazy as flying fresh herbs from Israel and watercress from the US – both of which are all year round UK crops), but mostly because seasonal food tastes better. I live in the middle of a big city, so there are huge limits on what foodstuffs I can source locally, but I do a lot of my shopping at a weekly farmers' market, so although most of the stalls are not run by local people, they are the producers (or know the producers) and it means that I can discuss things such as sustainability with my fishmonger and see pictures of the conditions in which the chickens that produce my eggs – and occasional roasting bird – are kept. I also do things like return my empty egg boxes to the relevant stall every week – they're clean, so it's crazy to throw them away, even into the recycling crate.

I do make an effort to grow a small amount of my own herbs and things in my tiny back garden, but it's not big enough for anything more than a few pots. Once we get some decent weather (Hah!) this year I'll be putting more herbs in, plus raddishes, some salad leaves, some tomatoes and some chillies. And then later, some garlic and baby turnips and possibly a few other things.

It's less about global warming for me, on a personal level, and more about just not wasting things and doing other things that are better.

4.362 tonnes. I think the calculator needs an onion soup tab, because I know I cause more environmental damage than that.

So many people are just to gullible. Having to pay .05p for a plastic carrier bag is not going to save the planet.

This whole green issue is making a lot of people very rich. Take Ken Livingstone and the so called pollution charge. If he was that concerned about Londoners health, he would ban the vehicles he considers unhealthy and not charge £25 a day for them to enter London.

I would guess that about 80% of those who wash out cans bottles and jars etc. before putting them into the recycling bin, have done so under a running tap, defeating any good the recycling may be doing.

One local council is proposing, turning street lights off during the night to save energy. The gullible green folk will go along with this idea until their house is burgled or a member of their family is attacked while walking home late at night.

I find it hard to believe that I have a larger carbon footprint than the average American.

I wouldn't doubt that there are Americans with smaller carbon footprints. Not everyone has two SUVs and tries to keep up with the Jones's. On average, I would say those folks are a small minority population wise. Thomas Friedman has an excellent article about regressive U.S. energy policy and the stupid gas tax holiday proposal which solves....nothing.

Very interesting. Our footprint is about 2/3 normal, and much of that has to do with the miles my wife drives in her job.

They could narrow some of this stuff down a bit. The lump all motorcycles over 500 cc together. So a 750 that get 70 mpg is the same as a 1800 cc bike that gets about 35 mpg?:confused:

I wouldn't doubt that there are Americans with smaller carbon footprints. Not everyone has two SUVs and tries to keep up with the Jones's. On average, I would say those folks are a small minority population wise. Thomas Friedman has an excellent article about regressive U.S. energy policy and the stupid gas tax holiday proposal which solves....nothing.

I don't know. I know an awful lot of couples without children that live in 5 bedroom houses and each drive an suv or full sized pickup. It's not unusual for me to sit at a light on my motorcycle completly surrounded by SUVs and Pickups.

I think we are all being conned a bit with global warming and carbon footprints.

You will get those who are all for it and recycle every carrier bag and happily pay their 10p for a new one when they forget to carry the old one with them.

Others just don't care and will carry on as usual.

And the third group and worst of all are the one's that preach to others how important it is to save the planet while driving gas guzzlers and taking holidays and business trips abroad each year, by plane. And eating stake. :)

There is a lot of truth in what you say. Global warming is primarly caused by the sun (all the planets in the solar system are heating up). But I believe that the growning population and concern for our childrens future is more then enough to reduce our carbon footprint.

Back