• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your favourite bookshop / place to buy books

headpodd

Partly inspired by a post I just read about being not being able to enter bookshops without buying half the stock, I was wondering where do you prefer to buy your books.

Do you like:
The convenience, value and selection from on-liners such as Amazon?

Or
Poking around in musky second hand shops looking for the ulitmate bargain?

Or prefer
The large swanky bookshops with the aroma of coffee thanks to the Costa Coffee situated within?

Or
Somthing else?

My favourite place is the Red Cross Book Shop in Palmers Green, North London - think large bookshop such as Ottakars but with second hand books at second hand prices. The books are even categorised into genres and then stacked alphabetically. They also have an extensive non-fiction section and several shelves of first editions, helpfully marked 'first editions'. A lot of the books on sale here are still in the book charts in the likes of WHSmiths etc.

I bought 8 books on Saturday without doing too much damage to the bank account and safe in the knowledge that all my money would go to charity.

Heaven.

:)

My favourite place to buy books is wherever they are cheapest! :D This can be online or in shops, I don't mind, as long as they are new (I don't do second-hand books). The only time I buy from Waterstones is when they have a 3 for 2 offer on, otherwise they are too expensive. Woolies are good for the well-known author (got the latest Koontz from there), and Tesco is also pretty cheap for the bestsellers. :)

And on the subject of book shops with coffee bars - they are a travesty and should not be allowed. Something might get spilt on the books. :eek: Yes, I am very fussy, but I don't care! :p

I'm different! I love to buy books with the smell of coffee in my nose and when i bought one, sit in the little Coffee shop and sneek through the new jewel!!
That's why i prefer "Barnes&Noble"! But in the whole I like every shop, where they sell books!! :cool:

The big place with the smell of coffee. Personally, I can't stand second hand books, unless they're in New-Bought Condition. If I damage a book, I'll buya nother copy. Sorta like a Pet peeve. So, I go to Chapters, a pretty huge bookstore, each of which has a Starbucks. I usually can't get top Chapters due to the isolated location I live in, so my favourite bookstore besides Chapters isColes, a smaller branch of them.

Drizzt Do'Urden said:
The big place with the smell of coffee.

Sorta like a Pet peeve. So, I go to Chapters, a pretty huge bookstore, each of which has a Starbucks.

in my opinion, Starbucks is the best and I love this big stores. :)

honeydevil said:
in my opinion, Starbucks is the best and I love this big stores. :)

Nooooo - their hot chocolate is greasy :eek:

Ahem, I prefer to buy in big stores, my usual being Waterstones, Ottakars and WHSmiths - I do buy the odd bestseller from Tesco's though (£3.73 - bargain :D) I'm another one who doesn't buy second hand books :eek:

Sounds like England has alot of Bookstores. Canada has Indigo, Chapters, Coles, and The Book Stops as its only big stores. Theres a few Coles and a Chapters in Newfoundland

I don't really have a favourite; I go into any bookstore. But actually, I think I do prefer the larger ones - Barnes & Noble - just for the variety they have. I also like those lounge chairs, so you can relax while you flip through a book. :D

honeydevil said:
I'm different! I love to buy books with the smell of coffee in my nose and when i bought one, sit in the little Coffee shop and sneek through the new jewel!!
That's why i prefer "Barnes&Noble"! But in the whole I like every shop, where they sell books!! :cool:

Yes! That's great, I like to do that too :)

Of those options that you listed Hedpodd, I like to do a little of all three :)

For hours I love to hang around and browse in The large swanky bookshops with that aroma of coffee thanks to the Costa Coffee situated within? :)

Then nip into the second hand shops to buy sometimes same books at a fraction the price... :D

But must admit it does feel nice to sometimes come out of the Large Swanky shop with a lovely new book..sigh!

The only bookshop near me that has books in english is rather small and I have already been through the books more than once, so I tend to buy my books online.
I would like to walk around in one of those big bookshops you all seem to sorround yourselves with.

Barnes and Noble is the closest and only book store around. Other than that, I go to garage sales with my grandmother to keep her company and spend time with her (she's not doing too well, she smokes about 2 packs of ciggarettes a day). They have a lot of good bargains around here. I mean, people will give you the shirt off their back to get 2 bucks.

Ah, you're not really missing out on anything. Most of the stuff anyone here reads are sappy romances. Also, all the books are doggy-eared, torn, bitten, chewed, spit on, have gum in them, written in. I mean, I once got Jane Eyre and someone had underlined a bunch of lines with commentary like, "Bitch" "Jerk" "Asshole". Pretty mean stuff.

All of the above. I'll even do a quick browse at the grocery store. My favorite for new book shopping is Borders (mostly b/c I used to work there, but they have a slightly better selection than B&N, too) and for used, I like ones that have a section of old, musty hardcovers.

Back