• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your memoir

novella

If you were to write a memoir, what would the focus of it be? What would the title be?

There are so many memoirs out now and coming out, about alcohol, addiction, being fat, building a house, bad parents. . .

Assuming one is not just writing My Life, what would yours be about?

I'm not sure. That's kinda why I asked.

Maybe about my fame and fortune, but I'll have to wait. Haven't gotten to that chapter yet.

Also, maybe a Bildungsroman about growing up in the 70s and 80s in a big family.

Or maybe about going from city life to country life. I wrote a book proposal on that once but never did anything with it.

Hmmmmm. . .

Maybe about posting on TBF for my whole life and never getting anything done! :)

what you need, kid, is a gimmick. like me, I'm a tumbler. now, take two pills from my bag and stick them on my tongue.

"I Said SHIP!, and other Plausible Lies" by novella

I was born with a bar of soap in my mouth, having cursed mightily during my ninth month. "Get me the **** out of here!" I hollered. Mother was not pleased. I spent the first year of life in solitary confinement with only the televised games of the NY Mets to nurture me.

Upon my release, I went to the beach and spent twenty years alternately getting wet and rolling in sand, and thus developed the appearance of a heavily breaded pork chop, repeatedly failing the Ideal Girlfriend contest due to a gritty texture, but I was not discouraged. Whoever didn't like me, I punched in the nose. Thus began my career as a pugilistic mudslinger.

BookMom said:
everyone's got a memoir...it seems to be the big thing right now. what happened to the fiction writer?

I am a fiction writer. Just asking the question for fun.

Perhaps how growing up in a small southern town in denial failed to adequately prepare me for life. Regional stuff has been good.

I like memoirs that shed light on a little-known region.

Also, in which the author talks about a special career, e.g., as a scientist at Los Alamos or as an undercover agent. I know someone who grew up in Los Alamos in the 50s when it was a gated, secure town. Both her parents worked on bomb projects.

Also, I like memoirs that are very funny, whether they are entirely accurate or not. David Sedaris writes like that.

novella said:
I like memoirs that shed light on a little-known region.

The True Secret Garden - Belly-Buttons of the Rich and Famous by Captain Avery McTompkins. An eye-opening read. I never knew Tom Cruise had it in him. And that story of how Bob Monkhouse rediscovered the lost city of Atlantis. Simply astounding.

Also, in which the author talks about a special career

I recommend My Super Furry Life in the No-Fly Zone by S. Monkey. A startling expose of life as an everyday hero and hair care expert.

Back