• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Your thoughts on books.

xzer0joker

I'm doing a research assignment on books, and i need to know some thoughts from consumers and producers on books. Could anyone please help me out by giving a brief statement about benefits and/or harms about books? Also please list your age and whether you're a consumer or producer. I need at least 3, thank you in advance.

Well, to begin, I am 26yrs. old, and am a consumer of books (a devourer more likely!). I must say that my most prominent impression about books is their incomparable power to build the human mind and spirit. Books are the greatest of all possible tools for educating and for edifying the mind! I can conceive of no other medium which can perform these duties as capably.

However, due to this capacity for good, there exists likewise a capacity for evil, so that specious or immoral books have the potential of creating the greatest harm in the human mind. Therefore I believe books are to be treated with the greatest of respect and discernment, for they can either build one immensely or destroy one irreparably.

I hope this is close to what you're looking for? If not, and if my thoughts are out of place, then please accept my sincerest apologies! Thank-you!

Bluraven said:
Well, to begin, I am 26yrs. old, and am a consumer of books (a devourer more likely!). I must say that my most prominent impression about books is their incomparable power to build the human mind and spirit. Books are the greatest of all possible tools for educating and for edifying the mind! I can conceive of no other medium which can perform these duties as capably.

However, due to this capacity for good, there exists likewise a capacity for evil, so that specious or immoral books have the potential of creating the greatest harm in the human mind. Therefore I believe books are to be treated with the greatest of respect and discernment, for they can either build one immensely or destroy one irreparably.

I hope this is close to what you're looking for? If not, and if my thoughts are out of place, then please accept my sincerest apologies! Thank-you!

Well, lets see.....
That pretty much sums up what I would have said.
Except I'm 35

xzer0joker said:
... benefits and/or harms about books?

I can see a book about the size of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell doing some serious damage, if used improperly.

(I'm old enough to know better.)

StillILearn said:
I can see a book about the size of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell doing some serious damage, if used improperly.

(I'm old enough to know better.)

Yeah, or an Oxford English Dictionary...yeesh!! :confused:

However, due to this capacity for good, there exists likewise a capacity for evil, so that specious or immoral books have the potential of creating the greatest harm in the human mind.
Really? Can books, by themselves, be evil? Or can people's interpretations of them be evil (or at the very least misguided)?

I personally don't think books can be anything; good nor bad. It's accumulation of words, hundreds of thousands of words, and it's what we do with those sequences of words that has value. A book that has a profound influence on me as a person can bore the pants off the next person; it's me -my mind, my experiences, my interpretation, me- that makes the book what it is, but only for me.

Books are, if anything, the single most personal form of media out there.

Cheers

Martin said:
Books are, if anything, the single most personal form of media out there.
Depends on your perspective, I think. There are many people who would say music is their most personal media.

You have a point. I hadn't thought of music. Though, I'd go for books/literature as my most personal form of media.

Cheers

I'm 54 and an avid reader.
Books are the greatest achievement of technology, the highest form of expression, and the single most powerful tool for teaching and recording knowledge. From books, everything else springs. I can imagine a civilized world without computers, without cars or planes or trains, without any single cultural artifact --- except books. Take away books, and you have removed the foundation of civilization.

Libre said:
I'm 54 and an avid reader.
Books are the greatest achievement of technology, the highest form of expression, and the single most powerful tool for teaching and recording knowledge. From books, everything else springs. I can imagine a civilized world without computers, without cars or planes or trains, without any single cultural artifact --- except books. Take away books, and you have removed the foundation of civilization.

That is fantastic! and VERY true.

Martin said:
You have a point. I hadn't thought of music. Though, I'd go for books/literature as my most personal form of media.

Cheers
I'm a little of both as they both capture my personality. While I enjoy movies, I just don't connect to them on the same level of my soul. I would consider my writing to be on an even keel too, perhaps. I have many passions which I use to express myself :)

Really? Can books, by themselves, be evil? Or can people's interpretations of them be evil (or at the very least misguided)?

I personally don't think books can be anything; good nor bad. It's accumulation of words, hundreds of thousands of words, and it's what we do with those sequences of words that has value.

Since the terms "good" and "evil" are both adjectives used to describe other things, these terms are intrinsically SUBJECTIVE. It is therefore rather superfluous to say that books are not necessarily in and of themselves evil...hardly anything is if you realize that good and evil are subjective terms.

However, having said all this, I would remind you that I said they contain the "potential" of creating the greatest evil in the mind, simply because they affect the mind like no other media...with, perhaps, the exception of music. No book produces the same effect in everyone. The Bible is the foundation of many for a life devoted to God and the good...while it is also held by others as the basis for their denial of anything "conservative". Is the Bible therefore "good" because it creates good, or is it "evil" because it incites to rebellion in some? I think the answer presents itself to the thoughtful mind.

I do not wish to turn this into a philosophy discussion, but my conscience bids me to clarify my last statement lest any misunderstanding ensue. I pray you all forgive me if I seem too philosophical at this point, as it is in no way my intention to "preach".

I merely wanted to say that, while I believe the words "good" and "evil" are intrinsically subjective, I am not a moral relativist. I do not wish to mislead anyone into thinking that that's what I was saying. I do believe in definite standards of right and wrong, good and evil. However, as it relates to books, I believe that though it may be a "good" book, meaning that it promotes life and goodness as such; yet its power for good depends upon the person reading it, and what they do with what they've read. I hope this makes sense?

Again, I apologize if I sound too "preachy", as this is not my intent. My conscience was simply getting on me, and urging me to clarify my words. Thank-you.

Kookamoor said:
Depends on your perspective, I think. There are many people who would say music is their most personal media.

Music over books, yes. Although with the state of music these days it's a close call.

Thanks for all your replies, but i had to turn in the project the day I posted, so I kind of forgot to say my thanks and that I don't need any more opinions. However, feel free to continue this discussion if you like. Thanks again people.

Back