• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

best concert

Yesterday I saw Aimee Mann live in Hamburg. Gorgeous location (an old factory building) and a very relaxed and cool atmosphere. Great evening!

And last monday Tori Amos! She seemed a bit tired and stressed, though. Wonderful evening nontheless. And it was open air with fabulous wheather.

Totally different was the Hurricane Festival. Sometimes really stressful and bad weather, but some great performances. Nine Inch Nails and Rammstein would probably be my favorites. I didn't want to watch Rammstein in the first place but they put up an amazing show with all the pyrotechnics and the stage design.

rammstein is awsome, but i don't really care for NIN... the new CD is too technical, not enough emotion... but anyway... who is aimee mann?

Ever seen Magnolia? She did the soundtrack. Actually, she got an Oscar nomination. It was really funny how she told that yesterday. 'This song was nominated for an Oscar... lost it to Phil Collins, though..' and than something about apes, I think the Phil Collins song was from 'Tarzan'. She said that in such a cool and self-ironic way.
And at the end somebody asked her to play 'Ghost world' and she had to give in, that she didn't know it anymore, but she tried nontheless.

Novella, one of the best concerts I've ever been to was also at Red Rocks. Counting Crows put on an awesome show, full of emotion, with lots of improv and interaction with the crowd. Several of their shows since have really sucked though.

Also saw U2 in a big show at Mile High Stadium which was very good and David Bowie with Nine Inch Nails was also quite a show.

It's a tie between Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo, and Martina McBride for me. Both acts put on an amazing show, imo. But my opinion my change in 10 days when I see Pat & Neil again. They may overtake Martina... We'll see. :cool:

rigana i have to say, your music tastes sure scan the spectrum. aimee mann to nin. interesting.

pwilson said:
Novella, one of the best concerts I've ever been to was also at Red Rocks.

Add me to that list. I've seen many there, but one that sticks out is Santana.

And another that comes to mind in Colorado was Billy Preston at the Little Bear in Evergreen. It's a semi-old stlye saloon with bras hanging down from the rafters and balcony. The munchies are so so, but ahhh....the ambiance.

RaVeN

Well, I saw Antony & The Johnsons last night. Excellent music, lovely piano, and that voice. :cool:

Next up is a local band (Data Panik) making their debut (they used to play and record under a different name) followed by Rammstein the next night.

well i've seen the dave matthews band twice and am heading there again next sunday at the tweeter center in boston, but i saw aerosmith when i was in grade 12 and that had to be a great concert...although i saw the crash test dummies and they rocked too...i am going to see the stones in august at fenway park, so i am guessing that will too, be a great time! so what i am saying is then it seems, i don't have a greatest concert.... :rolleyes:

Pehaps Dave Matthews Band or the Finn Brothers. Both concert were GREAT!! bot incredibly artists and greast performers.

Lani

I just seen Dave Matthews at the Philly Live 8 and I don't see what makes people think he's so great.

i think what i like about the dave matthews band is that they just play really gritty, sexy music. sure, i know there are a lot of greats out there, musically, but i do think that this band has an interesting mix of instruments that you don't see often. he writes really smart music that is sometimes fun, sometimes carries a message and sometimes makes you want to just have great sex. i have yet to be diappointed with anything they put out. this is my personal opinion, but like everyone, you are entitled to yours. i know loads of people who just do not dig the band, and that's what makes it interesting!

The only concert I have been to is Red Hot Chili Peppers in Hyde Park, supported by the legend James Brown, and Stellastarr*. This was last June and as the Chilis are my favourite band I think it might be hard to beat it.

Also, seeing James Brown live was an awesome experience and even in his seventies he can get a crowd moving.

Stellastarr* weren't really the type of band I enjoy listening to, and I hadn't heard of them before then. I found their songs were very similar and just a bit 'same-old same-old'.

Back to the Chilis: I was at the front of the section for standard tickets (so behind all the lucky gold circle ticket-holders) and I could see quite a lot, considering a) I am short and b) there was 80,000 people there. They played all of the more recent popular hits e.g. Under The Bridge, Californication, Give It Away...however I was a bit disappointed that they didn't play so many songs from Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Nevertheless, I had a brilliant time.

Tomorrow I'm going to see Kings of Leon in Plymouth. Definitely a smaller venue and a band that I have never seen live on TV, so should be interesting.

I don't go to a lot of concerts but my favorites would be:

April Wine (many many years ago) - 20 minutes drum solo on a platform that was to raise up and out of the fog, though the fog machine went crazy and mostly all you could see were the lights and the fog.

Citizen Fish - it took place in the basement of some building, in a fairly small space; small stage, lots and lots of punk rockers, lots of stuff to buy (tapes, patches, buttons, stickers, etc). I was 7 months pregnant and not sporting anything close to a punk rock style.

I would have loved to see Johnny Cash live. :(

There is a few that stick in my mind

Reading 92 for Nirvana, L7 and lots of mud.

Alice in Chains supported by The Screaming Trees at Manchester Academy in 92 as well.

Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine at Manchester Academy in 93

Rage Against the Machine supported by Tool (somewhere in Manchester) 93

As you can tell i'm still living 12 years ago when it comes to music. I still pretty much listen to the same stuff now.

T Rex at the Roundhouse London 1970's (my velvet loon pants split)
David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust and Aladin Sane tours, London, Liverpool and Chatham ( yes I had a huge crush)
The Jam at Shepton Mallet ( last tour)

Back