• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Everybody's an author now.

Aye.

I am going for a 50 Shades meets Harry Potter meets All Quiet on the Western Front and it will have an Emo kid like Holden Caufield and will feature prominent locations from a major metropolitan West Coast American city.

Yes, it does seem like everybody's an author these days. Self publishing is great that a lot of works can get out there, but in general the quality control on self published works is kinda sad. But then again even traditionally published books have mistakes in them these days.

No, but since it requires 50,000 words, just use the shortest words. Repeat them. Several times.

I've written several non-fiction works, 50 shorts and a handful of novels but I'm far too lazy to self-publish them. Let others do the work.

No, there are many fewer authors

Self-published books are not "authored" and don't count. If one cannot get at least a small press to publish one's book, it is not a book -- it is a term paper, a journal, an English assignment, etc.

My view does not mean that there are not industry overlooked masterpieces that have been self-published. Such has been the historical case, probably usually caused by the author's death before completion, since it took so long to write a book before PCs existed. For example, a larger portion of the Bible was probably lost than published.

The real publishers simply sold out as prices to produce books exponentially increased. I have no doubt that there are many great books in their slush piles and that will never see the light of day.

How many brand new industry published authors can you name during the last decade? Soon, it will be one or two a year, or none, as the industry, including film, finds ways to put new twists on old works that have shown profit in the past. I boycott books and movies, for example, about vampires, werewolfs, Batman, Spiderman,........... I'd probably puke in the aisle if I attended a sword and sorcery film.

The only upside to self-publishing has been the expansion of small business into seminars, editing services, advertising services, and other promises to the ego driven "authors" that they will be recognized as an author if they just spend enough money to earn the title. Hopefully, these businesses are paying taxes.

Self-published books are not "authored" and don't count. If one cannot get at least a small press to publish one's book, it is not a book -- it is a term paper, a journal, an English assignment, etc.

That's an interesting perspective and I don't completely disagree with it.

1. I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.

b. My Kindle TBR list has about a dozen titles.

3. My deadtree TBR pile is around 20.

Back