• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Has your style changed?

cajunmama

As far as reading material goes? I know mine has, and it is primarily due to this forum. (Thank you to each and every one of you) I have been turned on to so many good and great books and authors. The list is endless, Neal Stephenson, Umberto Eco, Jose Saramago, Margaret Atwood, Curious Incident..., and that is just the fiction! I can't stand to even think about going back to what seems like drivel now. I may have come across some of them, but never would I have actively sought them out. I am not exaggerating when I say I have a list of books I want to read that is about as long as I am tall. I have a stack of library books by my bed and the wonderful dilemma each time I finish a book of which one shall I read next because I am fairly certain that no matter what it is, it will be good.

Mine has :)

I think we change and grow as people and so our reading tastes can only reflect that change.

cajunmama said:
As far as reading material goes? I know mine has, and it is primarily due to this forum. (Thank you to each and every one of you) I have been turned on to so many good and great books and authors. The list is endless, Neal Stephenson, Umberto Eco, Jose Saramago, Margaret Atwood, Curious Incident..., and that is just the fiction! I can't stand to even think about going back to what seems like drivel now. I may have come across some of them, but never would I have actively sought them out. I am not exaggerating when I say I have a list of books I want to read that is about as long as I am tall. I have a stack of library books by my bed and the wonderful dilemma each time I finish a book of which one shall I read next because I am fairly certain that no matter what it is, it will be good.
You are soo right! It feels like befor I was just reading crap, know I'm reading good books all the time! Furthermore I'm doing more thinking because I can discuss the books with you folks. You are all quite inspirational!!! :D

And I read pulp with the occasional literary bent! LOL! But I've gotten several new author names here, just as soon as I save up some money. Sigh!

Cathy

I used to read a lot of biographies, mostly because I cared more about the person that the actual reading itself. Then I read a lot of mystery/horror books, like Lovecraft or Sleepy Hollow, and now it's mostly something with humor or dry wit, maybe combined with history or crime.

When I was younger all I read was fantasy and historical fiction. Then I got in to a classics faze. I then realized that I know next to nothing about contemporary authors, so I've been reading books that say #1 Bestseller or New York Times #1 Bestselling Author on them.

Yes... for me, I went from scifi/fantasy to fiction, then from the 'popular' books to ones that were actually good. (By popular, I don't mean bestseller, but what most 15 years olds in my school are reading, if they read at all...you would be suprised how many people have only ever read 'Harry Potter' for leisure reading. 0.o I am surrounded by incompetence ;) ) Muchly thanks to my english teacher, tho I did add about 30 books to my 'To-Read' list from this very forum already. :D

changes across life? or changes after been on this bookforum?

A: changes across life:
changed a lot, rangeing from faery tales to romance, classics, martial or actions to fictions/fatancies and nonfictions.

B changes after been on this bookforum:
refers to cajun mama's post. knew many "new" authours, neil gaiman, jose saramango, umberto eco,.... and variety of books, gravity's rainbow, everything is illuminated, was, candide, ............................list goes on and on and on,....

Thanks everyone who are kindly willing to recommend books, with sincerety!

I think what has changed most for me is how I read. When I was younger, I devoured books like a fine young carnivore. Now, and especially since my reading time is something I have to make extra efforts to keep, I like to savor books -- lingering over the language and ideas. I may not read as many books as I used to, but I think I am enjoying them more.

Irene Wilde

I find that I'm way more willing to branch out and try new authors now than I was in high school and before. I usually stuck with trusted authors/series and read them through without considering something new. This forum, as well as a few others, have been a huge encouragement to read new things and my TBR pile is growing by leaps and bounds.

I'm also like Irene and beginning to savor books rather than devour them. Loss of a huge amount of reading time I do think has had an effect on this, as I want to really enjoy the books I'm reading when I do have time.

I'm curious as to what bobby said:

what's strange is, I just up and stopped reading this summer. I've lost interest.
Have you regained it, yet?

Anyway, I don't know if my style has changed, because I don't think I ever really had 'a style' when it comes to the books I read. I do, however, have an ever increasing TBR pile, as a result of coming to these forums, which is a very, very good thing.

The funny thing is, when I first started reading, some four or five years ago (yep, I'm a latecomer), all I read was John Grisham, Douglas Adams and Tom Robbins, and at one point, I really dreaded the moment that I'd read all of their books because I honestly thought that that would be it, that there were no other books or authors that I'd enjoy just as much.

I am so glad that I was proven wrong. Thanks, mainly, to you guys.

Cheers

Martin said:
I read. I do, however, have an ever increasing TBR pile, as a result of coming to these forums, which is a very, very good thing.

Tell that to your wallet ;)

The forum has cast some decent remmendations (eg Middlesex), as well as some I'm not so enthusiastic about (eg Handmaid's Tale), so I think it's balanced itself out. I'd say over the last yr or 2, the BBC's Big Read has probably been more influential than the forum itself.

I don't feel my style has changed that much - obviously it has changed since I was a child, but not much since I was in my early teens. I have my favourite genres and tend to read those. I do however read the recommendations people here have given within those genres (ie Borchardt's The Dragon Queen and The Raven Warrior - thanks Ashlea :) ) I will also get round to reading Cryptonomicon at some point.

Several of the books that have been mentioned, whilst being excellent books, would not capture my imagination in the same way and as such I am not inclined to go out and purchase them :)

However, Phil has bought several of the books people have recommended so I may pick one up at some point and see what I think :)

bobbyburns said:
what's strange is, I just up and stopped reading this summer. I've lost interest.

It's just a phase, you'll snap out of it soon :) Maybe you've been reading too much and are suffering from burnout. :eek: I've gone though phases where I've barely managed a book a month, compared to my usual book or two a week, but thankfully, that hasn't been for a while!

I'd like to add that some of the books I've read because of this forum aren't what I'd choose for myself, but several so far have proven to be well written and thought-provoking and have made it to my personal top ten list out of appreciation rather than like. Know what I mean? Let me analogize. A baloney sandwich isn't may favorite thing to eat, I don't particularly like baloney, but there are times when I do eat it and am glad for it as I was hungry. Just as the sandwich filled a physical need, sometimes so does a book fill an intellectual need.

Oh yeah definitely. From fairy tales to Nancy Drew to Sweet Valley High/Twins and Babysitter's Club and Christopher Pike and R.L. Stine to romance to chick lit to hmmm I guess more serious literature now. I've also gone through long periods not reading a single book.

Heh. I studied English Lit in college, so it was all about the classics. Now I've loosened up and read a lot more contemporary fiction, though I still don't think I've crossed the line to pulp.

I'm still in high school, and I know I'm still really reading teenage (and children's) books at the moment. I guess I don't really mind... one day I probably won't be as interested in them, so I'll enjoy them while I can. The "adult" books I've read have been more historical, and not written recently. This is more because of what I come in to contact with - becuase of people like my friend's mum who have leant me many books they read at my age. I've only started reading books found in the adult section in the last few years.
I know I keep on becoming more and more adventurous, but the genre of books has stayed the same... the books themselves have just become more complex, longer - and of a higher quality!

Herenya- when I was in junior high and high school, I was into Koontz and King, when I wasn't reading books for class. Go ahead and stretch.

Back