• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Have you ever met one of your favourite authors?

No, I haven't read David Sedaris. I've heard him perform his work several times on National Public Radio, which is the genesis of a lot of his writing. Anyway, what's so awesome?

i met the atwood. i was so intmidated and excited i couldn't think. i was 21, so i was just concerned about not looking like a drooling lit-groupie. if i could go back i'd ask her questons about my favourite novels, how she writes. kinda been kicking myself over that one. :rolleyes:

Allen Ginsberg

I met him, I really did! It was magic.

I was living in Halifax, NS in the early Nineties and he was in town for a big meeting of Buddhists. It was an unadvertised event, but my brother happened to see him at a local nightclub and, knowing I was a big fan, called me to let me know. It was well after midnight, but I hopped on my bike and rode downtown hoping to catch a glimpse of my idol. He was of course, surrounded by admirers and it took me awhile to reach him. I started to introduce myself and tell him how much I admired him (loser groupie stuff :rolleyes: ) when some other groupie pushed ahead of me and started gushing. I figured I had brushed close enough to his great sun, and started to move away and cede my place when *HE* reached out and put his arm around me... holding me by his side. When the othe rperson had finished Ginsberg turned to me and asked me about the Magen David I was wearing. We talked for a few minutes about Jewish literature and then, he kissed me :) I have always been a great fan of Ginsberg, ever since I first heard his poetry read, and it was a wonderful moment for me to meet him and have him be so warm and friendly.

Forgive me for going on so long, buddi

I met Chris Ryan (The One That Got Away).And I emailed Guy Walters to tell him I enjoyed his book "The Leader" and he emailed me back to thank me.

No.

But I have met Tom Clancy. I've never read any of his books. Nor have I seen any of the movies based on his books. Nor have I played any of the video games.

Next month, I'm hoping to meet Brian Greene who wrote "Elegant Universe".

I'd love to meet Anne Rice & Stephen King. I'm afraid I may act like an idiot if I was around them.

I met Christopher Hall (lead singer of Stabbing Westward) and I (for some reason) became so star struck that I couldn't say a word! It was terrible.

I'm so scared of acting like a teeny bopper. :(

I met James Lee Burke twice when he did book signings near where I live, and he remembered me the second time, a year later. That surprised me! I've met one or two other authors, but JLB is my favorite.

I finally met Sharon Flake. Didn't get a signature though (left too early darn) does anybody know where I can find the e-mail of Lemony Snicket/J.K. Rowling?

I didn't meet her, but I had some back and forth email correspondence with Anne Rice over an Amazon issue we were both experiencing. She was gracious, pleasant, very normal, and very nice. I don't know what I was expecting, but she definitely surpassed it. I really, really liked her.

I was at the Texas Book Festival in 2004, and ALMOST made it to the Saturday night bash featuring the Remainers, which meant I could have seen Amy Tan, Dave Barry, Stephen King and all the rest, but didn't quite have the energy to go, and went straight to the hotel. I knew I would hate myself in the morning, and I did.

However, I still vividly recall watching Kinky Friedman on stage with the band at the same festival the year before. He's now running for governor of Texas under the slogan, "How Bad Could It Be?"

Sorry, for anyone who was there and caught my error. The Remainders were featured at the Texas Book Festival in 2003. Kinky Friedman was 2002.

Not really.
I met Garth Nix a few years ago but I haven't read any of his books.

Libra6Poe said:
I met Christopher Hall (lead singer of Stabbing Westward)

Are they still going? I remember buying the first album but don't remember ever seeing a follow up in the shops.

Stewart said:
Are they still going? I remember buying the first album but don't remember ever seeing a follow up in the shops.
I met him back in April '99. Let's see, the first album was "ungod" (great album!), then "wither blister burn & peel", then my favourite, "darkest days" (that's what the tour was for, to promote that third album), and then in 2000 then came out with another album (I don't think I particularly liked it so I didn't buy it). But then broke up either at the end of 2001 or early 2002. :(

I've met Anne Rice at a book signing.
Saw close-up but did not meet Stephen King,
met and shook hands with Kinky Friedman! lol (anyone heard of him?)
my son met David Sedaris,
I love book signings!
:p

Kinky Friedman! Yes! Fantastic! I have a few of his books.

My mother has published books. Does that count?

i met stephen king at a paul simon concert. we were both buying tickets, he had front rows reserved. he was really cool and we talked about paul simon for about 1/2 hour. then i told him that his books scared the crap out of me and he said good to know he was doing his job.

Can't one of "our mods" do their duties by tidying the place up and combining this thread with the other linked to within it? Thanks.

Gee, Stewart, so good to know someone's keeping an eye on things for us. ;)

If 'meeting' an author includes sitting quietly in a darkened hall while they read from their latest work and then exchanging a polite word when they sign a book for you afterwards, then on that basis I've met Martin Amis, Julian Barnes, Ian McEwan, Salman Rushdie, Colm Tóibín, Jeanette Winterson, Louis de Bernieres, Iain Banks (who at the time was one of my favourite writers) and possibly some others I now forget.

The other week I emailed Andrew Crumey - I figured this was OK as he had an email address on his website - to say how much I enjoyed his latest book Mobius Dick. He replied saying my comments had made his day!

I've also met Sean Wright, though he doesn't know that.

Back