• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

I need help finding info on 3 volume set of Shakespeare's plays - Are they originals or reprints?

AmyLovatt

Hi there,

I recently acquired a 3 volume set of Shakespeare's plays: Comedies, Tragedies, Histories.
They seem to have been reprinted from the 1623 originals, between 1862-1864, for Lionel Booth.
They are all in decent condition, with some fading and discolouration on the covers, yet haven't
been kept properly. I found them in a plastic bag at a car boot sale. Many of the pages are also
uncut at the tops, so it is not easily readable.

I am just wondering whether they could be original copies or if they may be reprints of one
of the 3 sets of original reprints. After a lot of searching online I haven't been able to find
a copy of, or any book the same. All I have found is an auction record from 1903 which lists
these books as sold.

If anyone could get back to me on the matter it would be greatly appreciated since I am genuinely
curious as to whether these are what I believe they are.

Many thanks,
Amy Lovatt

^^^ What she said. A bookseller that deals in that will be able to tell, probably right off the bat.

Thanks :D I have been speaking with booksellers, and from what they've been saying its a first edition facsimile. I've found many online copies, yet I can't find a single one for sale!

I can have a look around on some of the uni databases. They won't list them as for sale but tend to have quite a bit of information on publishers, etc.

I can have a look around on some of the uni databases. They won't list them as for sale but tend to have quite a bit of information on publishers, etc.
That'd be great, thanks! This is an image of the cover of one of the books, they all look the same, and the spines of all 3.

Attachments

• All spines .jpg
    All spines .jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Comedies cover .jpg
    Comedies cover .jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 0
Back