• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kathryn Stockett: The Help

abecedarian

I recently finished The Help and consider it the best book I've read all year. I knew things were bad during the days before desegregation, particularly in the southeastern United States, but I never realized just how dehumanizing the sytem was til I read The Help.
I knew about the idea of 'separate but equal' but did not realize it was taken into white folks' homes to the point they'd build separate bathrooms for the 'help'. They didn't show that in To Kill a Mockingbird. I also didn't realize there were separate libraries; don't ask me why it never occured to me. I suppose I can thank the civil rights movement for that bit of personal ignorance. The Help has received some critism from The Association of Black Women Historians. While I understand some of their points, I think the book's merits outweigh the bad. If it gets people talking, and it has, I'm glad it was published.

I agree,ABC,tho the link you put in for The Association Of Black Women Historians wouldn't load up. I wasn't aware either that 'the help' had to use separate facilities when working in private homes. It was quite an eye-opener,and tho the story did touch a lot on human nature's darker sides,I thought it was on the whole very positive,and all characters richly portrayed.
Looking forward to seeing the movie version soon.

The other thing that shocked me was the way the whites-only library allowed books in their own collection to be damaged. And for Skeeter to have to hide the fact she was reading the laws of her own state?!?

This has been in one of my TBR piles for a while now. I'll have to find which one, and bring it up towards the top. I've read much criticism of it, and have been on the fence about reading, or seeing the film. So thanks for bringing a positive aspect to the table. :flowers:

I did like this book and it was very eye opening, I was very caught up in the whole dynamic of how the relationships were between the races, how intimate and cruel. Maybe it is historically inaccurate in some parts but the sentiment felt true. I had the unique perspective of being raised in a house, in Alabama, with a nanny and a maid that were both black, it was post civil rights movement so a lot didn't hold true but some of the book felt semi-familiar too. I guess I would be curious to know what my Grandparents (both deceased) would think of the book as they would remember better how these things were.

Back