• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Life Time Reading Plan

Sapper41

I got this list from another post, but I think it might deserve its own thread.

It's the Clifton Faidman's Life Time Reading Plan. Is anyone else trying to read the books from this list? I think it's a pretty good classical list from a variety of world writers. After I finish reading my current book i'm going to start reading some of the books from part 1.

Life Time Reading Plan

I think reading all that would surely be the death of me. While I've read some of what's on there, I wouldn't want to read someone else's list. I read recommendations from people here and there, but only where they fit with what I enjoy reading. I've read enough classics now to know that they don't always deserve the accolade and the time it takes for me to struggle through them is time I could be spending on more worthy books. And my mood changes between books anyway, so even books that I only bought a week ago don't always seem as appealing if the book I've just finished has left me wanting something different.

I wish you luck though, it's a good feeling to complete a challenge and get through all those books. I just couldn't do it myself, it'd make reading feel like a chore.

Yea it's going to be rough. My plan is to read a book or two from my list of books, then read a book or two from that list, to break up the dryness... and since in the spring im going to start college to be either a History or English teacher I think the list will help get me a little ahead of the game.

Wow, that's quite the list. I think I would keep the list as a reference for books that I could read if my own list runs dry. It would take me a lifetime to read this whole list. If I were to read from this list I would probably start on the bottom of the list going up. :rolleyes:

Welcome Bernard! Yea it will take along time. Especially for me because I read very very slow :( But on the other hand, i've put most of the books from Part 1 on my Amazon wish list and most of them are under 200 pages some even under 100 pages, but a couple are over 700, and a couple more are volume and volumes of works (which I will skip for a while).

I think the hardest thing for me would be the subject of the books. Plato or Aristotle book on Ethics would seem to be a very dry read. I suppose any books from Part I would be. Like Litany said, it would almost seem like work. :rolleyes:

Thank you! I can't wait for college beleive it or not. I've been out of high school for 6 years now... I was a hardheaded tard in HS and hated it but now I love reading and learning and cant wait to go back to school and actualy apply myself this time!

Sapper41 said:
Mabey i'll even learn to type and spell mo betta!
:D
Uni was the best thing I ever did, you'll probably have a great time.

I just hope you don't wade your way through your list, then show up to class and have the evil teacher assign you 50 books that aren't on it. :D

A lot of the greek plays are a pure joy to read, poetic and beautiful and not dry at all.

I think I already read about 40% of that list.
I must be nuts!

I've read a couple on that list, but I've got so many books I want to read that aren't on that list.

His daughter wrote an incredible book on essays about the love of reading and books. Amazon link is here

I'd recommend it highly.

I've read a lot of the greeks, the plays are beautiful but the philosophy is a little dry. I suggest you don't read the entire philosophical work all at once, break it up and read a page or two at a time, as you really have to take the time to think about and assimilate it. Aristotle especially, Plato goes a little faster. I also find Herodotus too long winded to read, but the English Patient was obsessed with it, so I'm hoping to pick it up when I'm older and be able to enjoy it.

I was assigned a lot of these in college actually, and enjoyed some of them immensely. Keep in mind it's a lifetime reading plan, so mix it up a little with other things. It's a great list. The only thing I noticed - Beowulf is missing.

Ashlea said:
The only thing I noticed - Beowulf is missing.

That was what instantly struck me, along with the Bible not being there. I wouldn't object if no religious works were present, but when the Koran is considered more important in literature terms than the Bible something's just not right.

Back