• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Loading up the Kindle! Suggestions?

Alix

Only 15 sleeps left til we leave for Panama! I can't wait for a vacation! Its supposed to be sunny and beautiful there right now.

I'm about to load up my Kindle in preparation. I've got lots of books on it but I like to have a couple of good "beach reads" in there. Light, humorous and easy to put down and pick up again. Janet Evanovich comes leaping to mind here.

I also like to have a few really gripping thrillers or mysteries to read. I'd love to get some suggestions from you folks either for book titles or authors to investigate. I don't particularly want to spend a fortune, but I've put money aside for this so I'm ok with spending a few bucks.

Thanks everyone!

I enjoyed I Prefer the Sunrise by Anna Rae Aberle, for $2.99 on Kindle. It reads much better than the overwritten heart-wrenching blurb on Amazon.

Talk to Landslide about mysteries. She loves them.

Light, humorous, and easy to read sounds like anything that David Sedaris has ever written. I am also going to go ahead and demand you pick up some Anthony Bourdain's non-fiction stuff.

Talk to Landslide about mysteries. She loves them.

Light, humorous, and easy to read sounds like anything that David Sedaris has ever written. I am also going to go ahead and demand you pick up some Anthony Bourdain's non-fiction stuff.

Anthony Bourdain? The chef guy? What is his stuff like? I'll go look up David Sedaris.

Thanks Peder, I'll go look for that one too. $2.99 sounds like a great price.

To give you an example of my "beach reads" I read Lamb and Dirty Jobs (Christopher Moore) on the beach last year. Also read the Zombie Survival guide and an Elizabeth Lowell book I'd not seen before. Robert B Parker used to be high on my beach read list.

Landslide? Help on the mystery front please?

Yes, the chef guy. He's a decent writer too. You need to read Kitchen Confidential and A Cook's Tour at the very least.

As far as David Sedaris goes, the must read is Me Talk Pretty One Day. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll laugh some more.

There is a lot of free Agatha Christie stuff in the Kindle store.

Have you read the Ballad series by Sharyn McCrumb? You don't have to read them in order. In fact, don't read the first one first; it is the weakest title in the series...After that, they just get better. I recently read The Ballad Of Tom Dooley and found it hard to put down.

Another good series is the Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr. My favorite are Blood Lure, Blind Descent, and Endangered Species. If you should read Firestorm, keep track of the body and tell me if they made it down the mountain with it..

Then if you like cats, there's Shirley Rousseau Murphy's Joe Grey series. What's not to love about talking cats who solve crimes? Fun series indeed. Start with Cat on the Edge. A separate, but somewhat related title is The Catswold Portal.

Thank you. I'll look those up. I think I've read every Agatha Christie ever written. I read all the Dorothy L Sayers and Ellis Peters too. Man those were good books!

Have you read the Ballad series by Sharyn McCrumb? You don't have to read them in order. In fact, don't read the first one first; it is the weakest title in the series...After that, they just get better. I recently read The Ballad Of Tom Dooley and found it hard to put down.

Another good series is the Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr. My favorite are Blood Lure, Blind Descent, and Endangered Species. If you should read Firestorm, keep track of the body and tell me if they made it down the mountain with it..

Then if you like cats, there's Shirley Rousseau Murphy's Joe Grey series. What's not to love about talking cats who solve crimes? Fun series indeed. Start with Cat on the Edge. A separate, but somewhat related title is The Catswold Portal.

You are definitely speaking my language! I've read all those books! I'll go look and see if there are any new ones out. The last Joe Grey I read was about a year ago. I haven't read any Sharyn McCrumb in ages either, I'll go check on that one.

I LOVE Nevada Barr's stuff. Now you've got me wondering about Firestorm. I thought they got the body down...rather precipitously. I'll go check.

Oh man, keep those ideas coming you guys. I'm revisiting authors I loved and I've got new ones to check out. I'm in heaven!

Sweet! OK, so far I've got:

13 1/2 - Nevada Barr
Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain
Metzger's Dog - Thomas Perry

I've downloaded a bunch of samples to peek at. And I think I'm going to do a couple of the Dana Stabenow ones. I can afford a buck.

Here's a freebie

My little lonely novel is free on Kindle and I (of course) highly recommend it. The Life of a Colonial Fugitive. Hey, and it's free :cool: Panama is fun, btw. My father was stationed there just before we turned the canal over to the Panamanians and I got to tour the country and to go snorkling in the amazing waters. The food is also excellent. Do be careful about where you go, however. The country does have a crime problem (not nearly as bad as most of Latin America) and it is right next door to Columbia--arguably the kidnapping capital of the world. With that said, it's still a fantastic place to visit and I highly recommend it.

I know you don't; it's just that I'd rather not encourage others to plaster the board with advertisements. ;-)

Since you've read all of Agatha Christie's books, how about Rex Stout and his Nero Wolfe series? I've also read one of the Dr. Gideon Fell series by John Dickson Carr and I really enjoyed it.

As for a contemporary writer, have you ever read Sandra Brown? I love her books and I think they make perfect "beach reads". Just take into account there are some hot scenes but nothing too explicit.

Since you've read all of Agatha Christie's books, how about Rex Stout and his Nero Wolfe series? I've also read one of the Dr. Gideon Fell series by John Dickson Carr and I really enjoyed it.

As for a contemporary writer, have you ever read Sandra Brown? I love her books and I think they make perfect "beach reads". Just take into account there are some hot scenes but nothing too explicit.

I read Nero Wolfe years ago. That might be worth revisiting. I don't think I ever read them all. I remember thinking Archie Goodwin was probably gorgeous. Didn't they make a few books into either a TV series or a movie at one point?

And I've read all of Sandra Brown's stuff. She's perfect for the beach. I read Linda Howard's more recent stuff too. Got any other thoughts Landslide? I hear you're the resident mystery guru. I read a lot but I feel like I'm forgetting some very good authors in my search.

I've got lots of the free books if I can't find a few newer books to capture my interest.

@Lovecraftian, I'm a she not a he.

@Leonardo Noto, thanks for the Panama descriptor. I've read it is much like Costa Rica and I LOVED Costa Rica. I don't plan to do many excursions off our resort. I want to do the canal tour, a zip line or other eco tour and then I want to plant my arse in a beach chair and read and relax to my hearts content.

Back