• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Movie: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Buddy Knox

i've noticed that there were a lot of mixed feelings on the first two installments in the series. i personally liked both movies, and i'm curious how many people plan on going to see the Prizoner of Azkaban. i like what i see in the new trailer. the darker theme in this one should be pretty interesting. hopefully the change in direction will produce a great movie. we shall see...

if you haven't caught the newest trailer, here's a link...

http://pwogalerie.funnelle.com/videos/HP3_wmp_high.wmv

I liked the first two, but didn't love them. I liked the first one best, and after the second one I was certain I'd let the third one go by unseen, but after seeing trailers and stuff I'm pretty sure I'm gonna see it anyway.

Cheers, Martin :cool:

I didn't like the first and so avoided the second like something that really needed to be avoided, which it did, and I did! Having said that, I will avoid the third as well. I don't like the books so I guess that's why I don't enjoy the movie versions :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Oh, I'm definitely going. Prisoner was my favorite of the five books, which I did enjoy. The previews certainly look interesting.

For the first one, I actually watched the movie before reading the books (I avoided them due to the hype...much the same reason I've not read The Da Vinci Code). So I wasn't expecting the first one to be like anything, I mostly just saw it to finally determine what the fuss was about. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and bought the book the next day, and the other three the day after that...and read them all within a week. The second movie was decent, but the weakest of the storylines, in my opinion. I wouldn't judge by the second. Still pretty close to the book, overall. I'm interested to see how the third one comes out. And I certainly don't mind seeing Snape again...;)

Harry Potter....

I guess its the point of view in which you read, some people just have very derisive image levels. Meaning, they can imagine as they read, people today are used to watching movies all the time and have no use of imagination. I for one think its absolutely pitiful, I read the books before the movie. It drove me up the walls when I watched the movie because they forgot important details. I'd be happy to tell which scenes were absolutely wrong. But they are most enjoyable to me because I read them in the correct prospects. Try reading it in a different way, it may help you appreciate them more.

Teenbookcritic
PS: That new Dumbledore looks asian, maybe he looks better in the movie. :D

Loved Them

I loved the books. I read the first three twice and am currently half-way through the fifth. I also enjoyed the movies and enjoy them more each time I watch them. No, I didn't love them the first time through, but I think my expectations were too high. As for the third movie. . . I can't wait!

I'm going to watch the movie. I've been waiting for it for quite a while now, because the Prisoner of Azkaban, in my opinion, is the best among the 5. =)

daniel_radcliffe4.jpg

Weeee!!!

I love all the books, but I've only actually seen the first film. I thought it was good, but the Quidditch scenes were poorly done. I also have a real problem with Daniel Radcliffe (?) who plays Harry. I don't think he's right for the role. Can he actually act now?

Anyway, I might go and see this one - if the Dementors are done well it should be amazing. :)

Well, heres finger-crossed that Daniel Radcliffe has developed slighty more acting range than 'wondering round looking amazed at everything'.

"Look Harry, a broomstick!"

"Ooooh, Broomstick, Pretty!!"

"Look Harry, a Castle!"

"Ooooh, Castle, Pretty!!"

"Look Harry, a bloody great evil Giant Snake!"

"Ooooh, bloody great evil Giant Snake, Pretty!!"

Phil :)

HAHA! He did act like that in the first film, mainly because he was new to the "wizarding world". But I'm guessing he's going to do a lot better in the third movie. Although I'm upset that Daniel acted more like a "heroic" Harry than a "pain-in-the-ass" Harry, because in the book he's sort of a stubborn kid.

I loved the books and am a huge HP fan. I wasn't so sure about seeing the first movie. But, I loved the movie after I saw it I liked being able to look at and understand how someone else interprets her stories and how someone else sees the characters as. I'm a stuburn minded person so after seeing the movies, I can still see things the way I imagine them when I read the books. I did a huge research project on the first movie last year and after seeing how involved J.K. Rowling was in the making of her movies. I definately decided to go and see the second. The Prisoner of Azkaban is different than all the other HP books in the way things are revealed. Its the first time that Hermione and Ron are in on all the action through the end...except when Ron breaks his leg. For once Harry isn't the sole hero. So I loved the book and won't miss the movie for the world! But I do hope that Daniel learned how to act since the last movie!

I can't even describe how angry I am about this third film. Everything about it was just...wrong. They left out so much information and added unnecessary things. It was completely messed up. I was very dissapointed in Lupin for one, but I also don't understand why they left out information that is so important for the plot to even make sense, not to mention in the later movies. Cinematically this was a fairly good movie, albeit confusing at times for those who haven't read the books, but as far as staying even close to true to one of J.K. Rowling's best Harry Potter books, it was awful. I am still fuming and have been since 12:01 this morning. :mad:

On a happier note, Daniel (as well as Emma and Rupert) did a much better job of acting this time around; and the scenery, though VERY different, was beautiful. I just don't care much for this new director and his ideas. humph.

liv said:
I can't even describe how angry I am about this third film. Everything about it was just...wrong. They left out so much information and added unnecessary things. It was completely messed up. I was very dissapointed in Lupin for one, but I also don't understand why they left out information that is so important for the plot to even make sense, not to mention in the later movies. :mad:

What did they leave out and what did they mess up????

I know that we are all perfectionists when it comes to how we want our books to be adapeted into movies, but honestly it really comes down to how the author feels about it. And from what I've heard J. K. Rowling adores the third movie.
Personally I thought it was wonderful. didn't try to force every inch of the book into the movie which is good. For a two hundred page book it comes out to about 5 something hours on film. BTW, who hasn't read the books, so who would be missing something?

I saw the movie (finally)! I was a bit disappointed how everything with Sirrius was rushed a bit and I miss some of the Hogsmeed visits but overall I think it was done well. I do think that the new casting for Dumbledore was highly noticable in the way that Michael Gambon acted as Dumbledore. One thing that was really bothering me is the way that they all called Dumbledore Headmaster instead of Professor Dumbledore, since when has that happened???

liv said:
I can't even describe how angry I am about this third film

I thought the film was absolutely amazing. Even though they left out vital pieces of information, I still think the movie is how Alfonso Cuaron saw it and he is very talented. And I think the third is better than the first two, but of course that's only my opinion.

I watched the third film last night and thought it was ace. It moved along at a fair crack and had in enough info that the three people who went with me (who haven't read the books) could follow it with no problems.

The new darker imagery was great, and the CGI added to rather than subtracted from the film (remember the troll and the Quidditch from the first film?) The three kids are better - although Dan still can't act that well :p

All in all, a good effort.

Book to film for 3?

Does anyone think (now that the 3rd film has been released) that the film didn't include some things that were pivotal in the book? Personally, I think they managed to ruin the 3rd book. The new dumbledore isn't right...not as mystic as he should be and I dont think he exudes great power (like the other one did). The dumbledore in the first two movies was perfect for the role as he was exactly how I'd pictured him while reading the books. That guy who played wormtail was crap and where did the whole "invisibility cloak" thing go? Definitely not a fantastic dipiction of the book but good enough all the same.
Brightest Blessings

Back