• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Neal Stephenson: Zodiac: An Eco-Thriller

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
For some reason or another this book wasn't too terribly high on my list of books to read. But, when I found a nice, cheap copy at Powell's I decided to check it out.

Sangamon Taylor is a chemist working for a GEE (Group of Environmental Extremists) and when he is not busy plugging the drainage pipes of chemical companies or making chemical companies look silly, he is zipping around Boston Harbor in his Zodiac taking water samples. Something, or rather some Corporation, is killing lobsters in the harbor and it's up to S.T. to get to the bottom of things.

It's a contemporary novel to be sure but like Snow Crash, it was a fast and fun read. Plus I learned way more about PCBs than I probably wanted to.

I've often said that Neal Stephenson can't write an ending but this time he does. Granted, it's not that great of an ending but at least it has a sense of closure about it.

:star3:

Ah.

I read your review about five times, hoping that I wouldn't have to ask what PCBs are. No clue, so: what are PCBs? Lobsters or drainage pipes.

I like the title.

Polychlorinated biphenyl.

Interestingly enough, Stephenson doesn't explain what PCBs are (and why we should care) until about a third into the book.

Back